“Fifth time there. Twice for personal and three times for...”

Super 8 Madison South
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Fifth time there. Twice for personal and three times for work. Clean, quiet, comfortable. Pleasant and helpful staff. Good continental breakfast. Will stay again if in area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Super8-MadisonSouth, General Manager at Super 8 Madison South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel. We appreciate your business, as well as your comments. We look forward to continuing to be your preferred lodging provider when traveling through Madison, WI.

There are newer reviews for Super 8 Madison South

Reviewed 18 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Super8-MadisonSouth, General Manager at Super 8 Madison South, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a good stay here. Friendly check-in, pool (hot tub too, although we didn't use that), decent breakfast choices (waffle maker, hard-boiled eggs). Room was fine. Location is convenient to both the freeway and (if you have a car) downtown Madison.

I forgot my cell phone charger in the room when checking out. It was found by the cleaning staff and kept at the desk until I could pick it up.

cons:
1) card reader on the door was very fussy. Took us multiple tries to get into the room every time
2) more expensive than I expected for a Super 8, but maybe Madison is a pricier place than I expected in general

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Super8-MadisonSouth, General Manager at Super 8 Madison South, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel based on your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay. I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered regarding your door lock. We have replaced our key making machine and this problem has been eliminated. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Super8-MadisonSouth, General Manager at Super 8 Madison South, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Reviewed 13 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gloria W

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Recently a friend was visiting me from out of town and decided to spend the night at this Super 8. Based on other reviews, I felt fairly confident that his stay would be comfortable. When we arrived at the hotel I went inside with him to ensure that he was successfully registered and settled in his room. The front desk clerk (male) was standoff-ish from "hello". I asked him about lower rates that were advertised online and he literally lectured me that those are the "book two weeks in advance, online, and non-fundable rates". The rate wasn't an issue, it was the tone of his response. The desk clerk then questioned who would be staying in the room, giving me and my friend the impression that he did not believe me when I said I would NOT be staying (I have my own house in Madison). He then proceeded to tell us the charge for the room and again, in a rude tone, asked if the rate was something my friend was interested in accepting. Of course, the room charge wasn't even an issue in the beginning, I just wanted to make sure my friend received the best possible rate. After finally checking in and already feeling annoyed by the rudeness, we walked up to my friend's room (with his two broken feet) only to find that the key wasn't working. I fiddled with the key several times and then we realized we heard people talking in the room. We returned to the front desk and told the clerk that our key was not working for the assigned room and that we felt that room was occupied. Immediately we were given an attitude and questioned as to whether or not someone was actually in that room or it was possibly just the television. We were also told multiple times that the computer shows the assigned room as vacant and there have been key issues in the building. At this point we really did not care what the issue was, we just wanted to get my friend settled in his room and off of his feet! The desk clerk then grabbed a key, acting like we were bothering him, and told us to follow him up to the original room he assigned. Again, we returned to the assigned room and the desk clerk knocked on the door and announced "front desk". Low and behold, a man answered the door! While my friend and I stood next to the desk clerk, the man who had just been roused out of bed was given the fifth degree about why he was in that room, how he got into the room, why he wasn't registered at the front desk, and what his name was (yes, all of this in front of OTHER GUESTS!) My friend and I were horrified and embarrassed. The man occupying the room WAS a legitimately registered guest and had apparently had a room transfer that somehow had not been recorded in the computer. Finally, the desk clerk was convinced enough that the room he assigned to my friend was occupied and agreed to assign my friend to a different room, but not without blaming the error on "the earlier shift clerk who hadn't done their job". Yikes! The clerk was relatively unapologetic and flat out refused to take responsibility for the matter, while throwing a co-worker under the bus; not professional at all. In my opinion, if a hotel has an issue with a room being occupied, it would be most appropriate to FIRST ensure your guest is comfortable and promptly checked in to another room and THEN investigate the situation in the other room - confidentially and professional.

Aside from the highly annoying and embarrassing events, the room itself was clean, but the bed was very clearly sagging and in need of replacement.

Sadly, I will NOT be recommending this hotel to any future out of town visitors. This is not the way to showcase the otherwise amazing Madison area.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel?
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Super8-MadisonSouth, General Manager at Super 8 Madison South, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Please accept my personal apology for the experience you encountered while staying with us recently. In an effort to compensate you for your experience, I am refunding you in full for the cost of your stay. I will be looking into this further to uncover where the problem originated from and take the necessary steps to eliminate this from ever happening again. I will also personally follow up with the staff member in question. This was a poor representation of how we operate and I hope that this does not deter you from visiting the Madison area in the future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 11 November 2013