“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 61 Hotels in Madison
Superior, Wisconsin
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is the third time that we have stayed with our family of 6 at this hotel and we keep coming back. It is clean and comfortable, and the staff are all very friendly. The cost of the hotel is great for what you get and it is in a quiet, safe location close to the Beltline. The bedding has been up updated and long gone are the bedspreads, replaced instead with white comforters that smelled freshly laundered, and were also fluffy and cozy. (I mention this because hotel bedspreads skeeve me out and I am always glad to know that there are no bedspreads.) Being that it is August and hot out we ran the air conditioner all night, but it was quiet and didn't disturb our sleep as some hotel air conditioning units do.

There are two reasons that I docked a point from my overall rating. First is the fact that the pool seemed way overly chlorinated. My husband had taken our kids and my friend's kids to the pool and when they came back to the room after an hour the smell of chlorine on them was overwhelming. None of my kids has ever had problems with chlorine, but this time 3/4 of my kids did. My oldest daughter had a rash break out on her body from it. My second child's eyes were bright red and burning/itching. Unfortunately showering did not relieve this and she was uncomfortable all night. My 3rd child's eyes were also irritated, although they were just a bit pink instead of red. I don't know if the pool is always that heavily chlorinated or if it was a lone incident.

The second reason that I docked a star from my rating is because of the breakfast. When we stayed here last a few years ago there were fresh scrambled eggs and quality sausage. This time around it was the frozen egg patties and mushy sausage. The milk seemed to be powered milk and my kids would not drink it. The other food options included waffles, donuts and low-quality bagels, but the staff did not do great keeping things stocked. The waffle batter was out for 15+ minutes, which is a long time when the breakfast area was busy and people were waiting around for the batter to be restocked. I know the staff were aware of it, because another hotel guest had informed me when I first got into the breakfast area with my family that he had let a staff member know a few minutes prior. The eggs were also out for at least 10 minutes and the bread options also ran out for a period of time.

In the grand scheme of things the breakfast issues are not the end of the world given the price of the hotel and how great everything else was, but it was still disappointing.

I also wanted to mention our experience in the bar since there seems to have been issues with a bartender according to recent reviews. My friend and I went into the bar at about 8 PM, and we experienced friendly, prompt service from the bartender. We had been given free drink cards for happy hour (according to the hotel guest book happy hour happens Monday-Saturday evenings.) However, happy hour ended at 7 PM and we didn't get to use them, but that was no fault of the hotel or the bartender. There is a decent selection of beer, wine, and spirits. I had two gin martinis and my friend had two New Glarus Spotted Cow's. The prices were about what we would have paid if we had bought the drinks at a restaurant. ($4 for each Spotted Cow and $6 each for the martini's.)

Despite the issues with the pool and the breakfast we will be back. It's by far the best hotel value in Madison and I recommend it!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kaukauna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We spent a night at the Comfort Suites and found it to be a nice friendly place. We were greeted pleasantly at the front desk when we arrived, and it was very quick and easy to check in.

Our room was on the third floor and the hotel has only one elevator, maybe two would be more convenient to cut down on wait times, but it was nothing major. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The only two issues were minor. One, was that when you lay in bed, you cannot see all of the TV because it is sitting too low on a dresser. It should be raised or mounted on the wall. The other is that this was a handicap room, (which is what I need). But I found the shower head too low. It would be great for someone in a wheel chair, if they could get into the tub. There was no tub board for that, or someone under 5 ft tall. Everyone else has to really bend over to use the shower. The shower head is on a slide rail which is adjustable, but the rail itself is set too low, and should be raised or replaced with a longer one.
Other than that our room was very nice. The continental breakfast was very good and well stocked. The area was very clean.

Bottom line is we would stay here again. (but I do hope they raise the shower heads please)
And please put an ice machine on the third floor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

They bill themselves as pet friendly, and they are. Our two Westies received a warm welcome and even treats from the desk clerk the next morning. Other than that it's pretty basic. The room was clean and quiet. The continental breakfast was very limited. The location was convenient for the highway, but not much else. If you're looking for something other than pizza delivery, the Dhaba Indian Bistro about three blocks away on Greenway Boulevard was very good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ComfortSuitesGM1253, General Manager at Comfort Suites Madison West, responded to this review, 12 November 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers on Trip Advisor know about your experience at our hotel. Our staff members strive to provide superior customer service and accommodations to our guests, and always love seeing their furry companions as well. We invite you to visit us again during your next trip to Madison to experience our recent renovations and breakfast upgrades. We hope to you see you again soon!

Sarah Andler
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My girlfriends and I are staying here and are absolutely appalled by the bar tender! He is very RUDE and needs to work on his customer relation skills! I have read the reviews on TA and was very open minded walking into the pub, however...the bartenders rudeness was apparent from the start. I have worked in customer service for 15 years and know a thong nor two about the way to speak to customers. This bartender definitely needs a lesson in how to treat the customer! My girlfriends and I only ordered wine, yet he insinuated that we were making his job complicated. I will be speaking to the management before we check out about his awful demeanor.
On a brighter note...we absolutely LOVE our room! There are 6 of us staying in a suit and there is PLENTY of room. Would like to say we'll be back, but due to the rudeness of the bartender, we may think twice. Too bad one bad seed can ruin it for everyone else.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amie Z
Linda L, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Madison West, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

However I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the spaciousness of your suite.

Please contact me directly in regards to your experience at our bar so I can correct this situation for you.

Rest assured this quality of service is not up to our standards. I'll be sure to address and follow up with our bar staff.

Linda Ly
Front Office Manager
lly@wiscohotels.com
608-836-3033
Port Orchard, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This place was wonderful. The continental breakfast far surpassed my expectations! It was awesome and the staff worked hard to keep everything fresh and supplied. The jacuzzi in the room was great, the bed was comfortable and we had more than enough pillows (which is unusual). We really enjoyed the hot tub and heated pool after having a long day on our feet! The hot tub is HUGE with plenty of room for everyone! It was nice that the room did not smell of chlorine.
We especially enjoyed your happy hour and JD, the bartender. He was so awesome! He was a lot of fun to talk to, very courteous and prompt! I loved his hair and wanted to run my fingers through it, but was afraid to ask! Please tell him Joie says, "HI!" I will not forget the good times we had at the bar with him....
If we are ever back in the Madison area we will stay here again! It was wonderful and a good value....
Thank you so much for a memorable, fun and comfortable experience!
Joie G

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the end of June. Friday evening check in was quick despite slow computer issues. Complimentary cocktails 5-7 was a bonus. Although, upgraded drinks may cost $1. Bottles of beer and rail drinks were free.
The room was clean and roomy. The shower head has multiple settings and good water pressure with a rounded shower curtain for extra space. Both beds were surprisingly comfortable and the pull out couch bar, did not prevent sleep. We did not utilize the breakfast as we checked out prior to it opening.
Overall nice stay and I would recommend this location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Albuquerque
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stay was nice except both of the rooms we booked were damp and uncomfortable. Our rooms smelled musty/moldy/like mildew. My entire family had breathing problems the week we slept there. Also the breakfast area was never fully stocked. The front desk staff was awesome!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West
Homewood Suites Madison West
Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court

Been to Comfort Suites Madison West? Share your experiences!