“Inexpensive... low end”

Econo Lodge Madison
Ranked #49 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Wound up here selecting the seceret hotel option in travelocity.. Based on the fact it had pretty good reviews. We stayed one night just needing a place to sleep. It was just OK. Had a king room. Bed was adequate, pillows only had 3 on the king bed.. Bathroom, they attempted to keep it maintained but it was in need of an upgrade and there was a bug in there... Breakfast was very average. But for a cheap one night sleeping only stay it served it's purpose.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 June 2012

This Econo Lodge was the best I've stayed in. The rooms, lobby and hallways were clean and nice. Staff was friendly. Breakfast had a lot of selections. They also offered some cool theme rooms for local sports teams. The building felt safe and secure. Would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed here this May while returning from fishing in northern Minn riding my bike. I came in tired from the day, found 3 other bikes already in for the night. Plenty of parking lot cameras, bike was more than safe. Clean, large room, friendly staff and guests. For what I needed, it was clean and I slept well.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed here because we needed a room in Madison for a few nights and, being graduation weekend for the University of Wisconsin, this was one of the few hotels in the city charging less than $100 a night. Since it is an Econo Lodge, we did't have terribly high expectations, however we were pleasantly surprised at how clean and well-maintained this hotel was. The hotel appeared to have been recently renovated, or at least touched up, with fresh paint on the walls and new (or at least very well-cleaned) carpet and tile in the rooms. There was still a very faint smell of fresh paint in the air, and the whole place was bright and well-lit.

Our room was small, but not uncomfortable for three people. Our room had two double beds, but we were told if you book a room with a king bed, there is also a recliner in the room. Contrary to what other reviewers have reported, we found the beds to be very comfortable, so perhaps the mattresses were recently replaced as well. We were also surprised at how quiet the rooms were. despite the hotel being pretty full, we heard very little noise from the hallways or adjacent rooms. My only complaints with the room were the air conditioner, which worked great up until the last night, where it seemed to have a hard time keeping up, and the bathtub, which while extremely clean, had some sort of coating over the porcelain which was beginning to peel apart.

Check in/out were quick. The staff won't win many awards for professionalism, but they were friendly enough. This hotel does have free wireless, which worked great, and a free computer in the breakfast area as well. The free breakfast was good, with a waffle maker, hard-boiled eggs, toast, cereal, juice, a crock-pot full of oatmeal, surprisingly good donuts, and coffee which ran out often because they use a very small pot. The desk worker was always friendly about brewing more, and thankfully their "don't take your breakfast back to your room" policy is very loosely enforced when the breakfast area gets busy.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay here. Madison't largest shopping mall is right across the street from the hotel, and there are plenty of restaurants very close by as well. Madison is one of the most pedestrian and bicycle-friendly cities I've ever seen, so walking around is pretty painless.

Room Tip: King rooms have a recliner, there are also some quirky "themed suites" that would be fun f...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SixAlpha
Reviewed 23 November 2011

The location is excellent, on top of a hill when you enter Madison, so at night you can look out over the city of lights. I had a room with a king size bed, the mattress was firm and very comfortable! I liked having a microwave and frigerator in my room to store my leftovers from lunch. This was the first time I had a recliner in my hotel room ! I loved it , instead of having to sit on the bed to watch tv or read my book I actually had a very comfortable chair to sit in.
The breakfast was alittle lame, as they only had bagels, and waffle machine, wish they had yogurt orsomething more. could not beat the price though. VERY QUIET!!!! loive the peace and quiet and no kids running up and down halls. like you find in the bigger hotels.

Room Tip: bring some yogurt or something to supplement the breakfast items.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank stormk
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Pets are welcome which is good news because we frequently travel with our dog. The accommodations are just about average for an Econo Lodge. The mattresses on the beds need to be replaced soon. The continental breakfast items were stale. This is basic hotel for a one night stay. It is very conveniently located near a shopping mall and several restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I got this hotel from priceline. It says 79.99 without tax (14.5%). So it should come to 91.59. But they charged me 93.17. I called them and they told me it was because they had a safe in the hotel.
The mattress was terrible.
Overall, it is not worth it.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business