“Experience depends on your room and needs”

Econo Lodge Madison
Ranked #47 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Experience depends on your room and needs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have stayed here twice this summer, receiving a larger room the first time and a suite the second time. The first room was about average for an Econo Lodge, with older furniture and an adequate bed. The room could use updating and the side entrance to the hallway reeked of smoke. However, it worked for what I needed that night. My second stay was on a weekday, and I was upgraded to a suite that had recently been renovated. The bedding was new and furniture newer. Needless to say, my second stay was miles beyond the first. This review is an average of the two stays. I agree that it can get loud in places on weekends.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs newer room if possible, although I don't think that guarantees anything
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JoeTablede97

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I pulled off of the highway due to zero visibility from a thunderstorm. This was the closest hotel to us. DISGUSTING!!! I took photos to back up all of my claims... The beds had hair all over the sheets, the toilet seat was broken and slid around when you sat on it, the bath tub had black mold growing, the room smelled like cat urine, and to top it off housekeeping was banging on our door at 4:52am. Yep, you read that right. 4:52AM!!! I had two small children with me! I am horrified. If you want a half way decent hotel stay... DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Nicole K

Travellers are raving about these Madison hotels

Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

This place is a dump! Halls smell of mold and cigarettes, Not a clean place. If it wasn't for the fact that we arrived so late I would have left and went somewhere else but didn't want to move the kids. There were cars of people in the lot doing whatever and they had a rock holding the security door open late at night so they could come in and out. It was the worst place I've ever stayed and we will never go back. I hope this isn't a reflection of Madison as it was our first time there.

Room Tip: don't choose this hotel go down the street to the Comfort inn
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen O
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Its a bit out of the way - which is good for the parking... but not so easy for just a quick trip out.
The rooms need some improvements (as from other posts, seems these have happened since my stay). Some of the rooms my group were in smelt pretty musty while others were fine. The breakfast was great. And the staff that were on didn't seem to go out of their way to interact, however were not rude at the same time. It would be nice if they took a few minutes to interact with the guests (just details of the local area or a hello in passing).
Best thing about this was/is there is a Massage Envy just a short walk away and it was amazing!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We've been touring america staying in motels for the last three weeks and this was probably the worst we stayed in. Nothing particularly wrong with it just tired looking, stained carpets that need replacing, bobbly be sheets that sort of thing.
The staff weren't unfriendly but it seemed to be they were sitting around watching TV and you had to go up to them, not as professional as we'd seen elsewhere.
I also felt uneasy because of the other customers, at least I believe they were customers. People who maybe were staying at the hotel long term that maybe had fallen on hard times.
It just felt a bit hostel like rather than the standard of the other hotels for a similar price that we'd been staying in - microtels and super 8s

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Richfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Room was way overpriced. We had not pre-booked a room because we were not sure we would be driving that day so booked at the last minute. Hotels in the area were all sold out so we were charged way more than the room was worth and they would not give us a AAA discount. Room was large, but not very clean - stains on chairs, bed had odor of someone's after shave or perfume, coffee maker so dirty, we did not use it, carpet not vacuumed, room smelled musty, clock broken and chain on door broken. Front desk staff very unprofessional both in dress and manner. Breakfast okay, although not impressed with dining area or appearance of front lobby. Advertisement claimed it had been newly renovated.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New Brunswick, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Convenient location across the street from shopping mall. Reception refused to give Choice Points as we used a hotel coupon so it was a good price. The hotel had been refurbished recently but our room, other than a flat screen TV, did not seem to reflect this. The hall carpets and doors are all new. There was a noticeable gap with scuffed walls where the easy chair should have been. Continental breakfast was simple and unimpressive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family