“Could have been great.”

Cambria hotel & suites
Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Before booking, I read many reviews about this hotel and was excited to stay here. However, there were a number of things that spoiled it for me.

-Check in was done by a young lady who mentioned she was new. I asked if putting a debit/credit card down was mandatory as the room was already paid for. I was told that it was mandatory which I found to be odd as I have worked in the industry myself (management for about 5 years). I then asked if the hotel put a hold on a debit card and how much it would be so I could decide which card to put down. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a definitive answer from her or from the other gentleman at the desk.
-The room itself was nice minus a few points. First, it was a handicap room. This really isn't a big deal, but it would have been nice to have been informed prior to getting to the room. There was also a chunk of food or something on one of the pillows on the couch. The toilet seat had a pretty significant gouge in it.
-I went down for breakfast the first morning we were there and avoided it the next day. My son is on a gluten free and dairy free diet so I asked the waitress if the eggs contained dairy. She confirmed that they did, so I asked if we could have just plain scrambled eggs. She refused stating that the kitchen was out of eggs. Really? Out of eggs on a Saturday morning with an hour still left of breakfast? Needless to say, I was annoyed. I had read on trip advisor about this happening, but couldn't believe it. Now I do.

The stay was nice, but it could have been great, if not incredible, if those things didn't happen.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
cambriamadison, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We truly believe that we can only learn and get better by getting constructive comments from our guests. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you had during the stay. We will use your comments and address them during our team meetings to make sure we have all our standards and procedures correctly in place. We hope you'll give us another try when your visits bring you back to Madison. -Dave Monte

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This Hotel was extremely accomodating regarding our medical surgery. The shuttle was able to take us everywhere we needed to go. The manager was was extremely helpful with all our special needs regarding the surgery. The rooms are very clean and nicely steup. The Breakfast was very good and the Lady at the Breakfast counter was very friendly and helpful. The people at the front desk were very friendly amd accomodating and attractively dressed and had a very professional attitude.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our hotel and our staff. We were glad to help in every way. We take pride in ourselves in the level of customer service that we provide to everyone staying with us. We hope that you'll remember us the next time you make a visit to Madison. -Dave Monte

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Clean, modern rooms make for a comfortable and surprisingly luxurious stay for the price. Location is not ideal, but the access to the freeway make the drives to the airport and downtown manageable. I'd recommend this hotel for any type of traveler: business, couples, families, friends, or solos.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

We are happy that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. Our location in the American Family business park is less than a mile from East Washington (Hwy 151) and the Interstate. These major roads here in Madison can get you anyway you need to go when in the area. We can't wait for your return here to the Cambria Suites. -Dave Monte

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Comfortable mattresses, nice appearance, friendly staff. We enjoyed our stay. Cambria properties have always been great. Don't bother paying for breakfast, it looked worse than most free hotel breakfasts but there aren't many other options nearby.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
cambriamadison, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. In addition to our breakfast buffet, we have menu items that you can order such as Belgian waffles, cooked to order eggs with bacon or sausage, pancakes, or omelets. You have so many options! See you next time when your travels bring you back to Madison. -Dave Monte

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Second time staying here ... just for a quick overnight. The rooms are very nice. There is a separate seating area with a TV. Bathroom is good size with nice amenities. I like the partial wall separating the seating area from the bed. We had a king-sized bed which was very comfortable with lots of comfortable pillows. The rate was reasonable - $98 with a AAA discount. Unlike Hampton and other similar hotels, there is no free breakfast. They offer a $9.99 breakfast buffet that was not so good - cold eggs, very mediocre food. I recommend finding somewhere to eat breakfast. Hotel is on the east end - right off I-90/I94 and 151 ... so you need to drive to get anywhere. Next time I go to Madison, this is likely the first place I will check for room availability.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
cambriamadison, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your experience here. It's nice to know that our hotel fits your needs. Just remember that if the buffet breakfast doesn't seem like the right choice for you, you can order off our menu for a cooked to order breakfast. We'll be looking forward to having you back! With warm regards and sincere thanks

Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in February. The service at check-in was good. We had to wait a long time for a cab to the Kohl Center- not the hotel’s fault but it is quite a way from there to the downtown area, just so you know.
The bed, bedding, and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was very nice, including a cool-looking lav. The tub and showerhead worked well. I noticed one switch in the bathroom didn’t work- a light or perhaps fan in the tub area. The room was very comfortable, including the couch and extra TV area. It came with a small kitchen area with a microwave and small fridge, although we did not use them. Our room was quiet and we slept well both nights.
We used the whirlpool and the exercise room- the facilities were very good.
We did NOT have breakfast there. It was $9.50 and had the same food often free at some other hotels. We wanted to try a downtown restaurant for breakfast that we’d been thinking about for some time anyway.
All in all, it was a very enjoyable stay. We also thought the price was reasonable although we paid in advance rather than just making a reservation- in exchange for a lower price. In our case, this made sense- as I had tickets for a Badgers basketball game- and I would have driven through a blizzard to make the game!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
cambriamadison, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

It has been a pleasure serving you and we want you to know we appreciate your business. We will always do everything possible to merit the confidence you have shown in us. Thank you. -Dave Monte

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel was way different than what we expected. It was NOTHING like a typical hotel room and my wife and I loved it. Instead of one large room it was cut in half with a living room like area and then the bedroom area. Definatly like that concept. My biggest pet peeve was that the breakfast didn't have pancakes or a waffle maker or maybe even an omelette bar. I could deal with a waffle maker instead of the other two. But for something that costs 9.50 for the buffet I would think more choices would have been there, but good otherwise. A minor thing, I think either we were having a channel war with another room or there was a ghost in our room who didn't want us to watch the show we were watching, but we gave up anyways. Also how does a bar, that wasnt busy, run out of bacardi on a Saturday? But great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if there's a ghost in case you want to watch TV. Lol