“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Ripon, Wisconsin
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at Cambria Suites for the first time. It was a great experience. Friendly staff, great breakfast food. The pool and hot tub were relaxing. The location was good. It is about 10-15 minutes from downtown, which was great. We had fun doing the city things and then headed back to the hotel to relax. Thanks for an awesome time Cambria Suites.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
cambriamadison, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your business! -Dave Monte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Marinette, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at a Cambria Suites for the first time six years ago and have been eager to return to another hotel in the same chain but in a different location. We did that and were not disappointed.

We stayed at Cambria Suites near Interstate 90 in Madison on two recent occasions. The first time, on a busy Friday, checkout was fast and friendly. The second time, a week later on a very quiet Sunday, there was no one at the front desk when we arrived. We waited for 6-7 minutes, then called the hotel from our cell phone. The clerk who arrived to check us in – Casey - was very courteous and apologetic.

On our first visit we had a huge corner suite overlooking a pond: we enjoyed watching ducks, geese, a heron and an otter as well as many different varieties of birds. True, traffic from the Interstate is noisy, but it is a kind of white noise that did not keep us from sleeping or relaxing. On our second visit, we were given a smaller suite with a partial view of the pond. Still, very satisfactory.

Both rooms were clean, the king-size bed was comfortable and the bathroom was well appointed. There is a mini-fridge and a small microwave and coffeemaker. I could see spending several days here, just to get away from it all. I lived in Madison for a decade, and return frequently, but this was my first stay away from campus and downtown. It’s a different world out here. If you are a shopper, you may enjoy the nearby Costco and Target, both to the northeast of the hotel and East Town Mall on the other side of the Interstate to the east. You are close to Sun Prairie, a small-town suburb of Madison.

We found the wireless Internet service easy to access and reliable.

The only problem we encountered on our first visit was that the coffee pot had not been emptied or washed from the previous guest. Mistakes happen, cleaning staff gets distracted and this is a minor issue that is easily remedied. Still, it’s something we had never experienced in a hotel to date.

Then on our second visit, we had to call the front desk because the bathroom in our suite was not stocked with towels. When we arrived, the room was open and unlocked, so more than likely a housekeeper meant to get towels but forgot to bring them. Again, this is something I have never encountered in a hotel before, but stuff happens. It’s how problems are resolved that matters and this was resolved promptly. It was Casey who came to our rescue once again, bringing the towels up himself. He deserves kudos for his kind and courteous service!

The hotel is clean; housekeeping is doing its job in that respect, but it may be that additional training is needed in that area. Not a big deal to me. I would definitely stay here again.

Breakfast is as good or better than most hotels offer; we have no complaints.

I like this hotel and its location, and that made up for a few minor inconveniences. I encourage anyone traveling through Madison to give Cambria Suites a chance.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger, in most cases.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MimiJWisconsin
cambriamadison, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
We are so glad you found us. It has been a pleasure serving you and we want you to know we appreciate your business. I will share your comments with our entire staff so we can continue to improve on the total guest experience. We will see you soon when your travels bring you back to Madison. -Dave Monte
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for a family visit and, while they strive to be modern, they need an update. After reading some reviews I expected more ... It was average, at best

Very disorganized and inexperienced staff up front. Doesn't give you the confidence you want. It felt more like a hostel/dorm. Also, it is isolated. Not the best location.

The room was big enough and had a fridge and couch but the furniture is really uncomfortable. Same with the furniture in the lobby - very uncomfortable.

There was virtually nothing in the cases at the food bar. There was also never anyone behind the counter and during breakfast it was annoying. The breakfast was like a school lunch quality so we only had it once during our 5 night stay.

The real kicker is that we requested a late check out and the front desk supervisor approved and, when leaving, confirmed we wouldn't be charged. Low and behold, they charged my card. The manager I spoke with even confirmed with the guy at the front desk I spoke with that he remembered us but said we check out after 4 and we hadn't. I'm not looking for a free but am uber conscious of fees because I travel a lot for work and know you have to be timely or they will charge.

A family emergency is what caused the late check out request and they were very compassionate. Yet, still, they will not refund the one day.

Won't stay again not only because of the blah accommodations but also because of their lack of their lack of organization and keeping proper note of our departure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank BettyRoxx
cambriamadison, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
On behalf of our team, please accept my apology for your unpleasant stay. We strive to ensure that our guests experience the best visits possible during their travels and it sounds like we fell short of your expectations. We are sorry to hear about your family emergency. We will share your comments with the staff so we may learn and improve our service moving forward. Thank you for sharing your comments.-Dave Monte
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a great place to hold business meetings or small to medium conventions. I enjoyed the location and the service. I didn't try any of the amenities, but all seemed to be well within the very good range.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Please accept my sincere thanks for your comments regarding our hotel. We are here for you if you have any future needs for meeting space or lodging. -Dave Monte
Fremont, Indiana
Reviewed 7 July 2014

this is a great hotel. It is really cheap. We paid less than $90 a night for a 2 king bed suite with a pullout couch. As a family of 6, it's very hard for us to find a room that we are all comfortable in. This room was huge. My wife and I had our own room. Every room and bed had it's own tv so there wasn't any fighting.
The hotel was extremely clean, the staff was very friendly, courteous, and professional. Some reviews complained that it was in an odd location. I guess it would be if you want to be downtown but it was very quiet and is in an office park. It's 2 mins away from the highway and 5 mins away from a large shopping mall and many restaurants and stores.
Our only complaint about the hotel was that since we have 4 children, we always want a hotel with a pool and hot tub. The pool in this hotel is very small. Occupancy is 12 people but we had 5 people in the pool from our family and if someone else joined us, it was have been too close for comfort. Luckily, we didn't have this problem.
We didn't try any of the food in the hotel or room service. $9.50 for a breakfast buffet is a little too much for me. We went to the grocery store and bought breakfast items. You could have even went to a Denny's or Country Buffet for cheaper and they're only 5 mins away.
This was a great hotel. We travel several times a year and I'll definitely look for Cambria Suites from now on.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
It has been a pleasure to serve you and your family. We are so glad that you had plenty of room for your large group. We appreciate your business and hope you'll join us again in the near future. -Dave Monte
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Daughter, grandson and I went on a weekend trip to Madison so we thought we would take advantage of the Living Social Coupon. The room overlooked the parking lot but other than that it was lovely. The bed we wonderful but my grandson talked my daughter into sleeping on the pull out couch(?) and it left a lot to be desired. The bedroom had enough electrical outlets (amazing) and the tub was deep enough to soak in and great to shower. The room included breakfast buffet which was nice and 2 drinks which was better. The only thing weird about this place is that it has the smallest pool I have ever seen. Maybe it was a lap pool and I didn't know how to make it work. I would stay again next time I need a room for Madison.

Room Tip: I can't see that any are bad. It is a great place.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I am so glad you had an opportunity to take advantage of the Living Social Promotion. Thank you for staying with us as our staff will always do everything possible to make your stay wonderful. Thank you! -Dave Monte
Wood Dale, Illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. The room was gorgeous, very clean and comfortable. The hotel itself is very modern, clean and actually smells great. The hotel and rooms are very accommodating. They have a very nice sitting area and relaxing dining area.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so very happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. We are scored very highly in guest room cleanliness within our brand and we are very proud of that. Please visit us again and we appreciate your business! -Dave Monte