“Outdoor Eating”

Ranked #514 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Lazy Oaf has great food, and I love the option to sit outside!
Most of the servers are great (I've had a couple not so great). We go there to play trivia, and they seem to keep up well with groups showing up and ordering at the same time.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I would go here more often but my wife things the kitchen could be "dirty" I say this because the outdoor patio is always littered with cigarette butts which is is first thing you see and this time the light was hitting the door in such a way that you could see greasy finger prints all over the glass. I had a Italian sandwich which was excellent with great bread and a sauce that was perfect. My wife had a salad and she thought it was very good and crisp. There was some olives on a toothpick on our outdoor table when we sat down which our server overlooked from some previous customer, which of course my wife saw to add to the "dirty" impression. Who ever manages this place should really make an effort to clean the patio better and make it look like the Great restaurant that it is.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I cannot review the food or the service staff because there was no opportunity for such, nor will we be returning to find out. (I was looking forward to some pizza!) Sloppy overall management is what fueled this negative review.

My husband and I traveled from Appleton to Madison (2hr drive) to see a band of which we're friends with some of the musicians. We were also going to be meeting some other friends from Madison here. The place was packed as expected, not unusual for this band to attract, however there was a private party consuming about of 3rd of the facility. Due to the layout of this place, there was no place to comfortably stand even where the band could be viewed. The area where the private party was, consumed the dance floor area and they were not using the dance floor. It seemed illogical that this small private group could have reign over the entire dance floor area and the only open space left to stand, so I decided we should just shimmy through and past the private party and stand near a side wall by the dance floor out of the way and at least be able to stand and watch comfortably or dance if we chose. Immediately a man from the party approaches and positioned himself behind me, crossed his arms and stands like a bouncer would. He says, "This is our stuff". My husband didn't hear him so the guy had to repeat it a couple times. We moved across to the opposite side up against a half-wall, still this was not acceptable and man flipped up his middle finger at us. The band is a Reggae band and their message is love, peace and unity, we were not there to fight with this bozo. To be funny my husband took a photo of him, which made him even angrier, now his wife steps up and actually placing her hands on my husband's chest and tries to shove him. We did not instigate or retaliate with any violent behavior. We exited that area and went back to the congested walkway in front of the bar where people are constantly pushing to get through, and tried to watch the band from there.

The frosting on the cake, the reason we left and the reason we would never patronize this business again is because a half hour after the unfortunate confrontation, an obviously inebriated man with shaggy gray hair approaches us accompanied by a bouncer and says, "Why are you trying to cause trouble?" We explained what had happened and he said we could stay (gee thanks). It turns out he worked there, we don't know if he was the owner or manager, it doesn't matter, he was highly intoxicated, he also assumes we are to blame without even hearing our side, completely unprofessional! We were so disappointed. When our friends arrived, we all agreed to go elsewhere and left.

The layout of this facility is NOT conducive for live entertainment if they are going to make a 3rd of the place off limits to other patrons, including the dance floor. Poor design, poor planning. Management should not be drinking or be drunk and on duty and any professional personnel would know you don't approach customers assuming blame.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This bar/restaurant is located .5 miles from my house. It can get loud indoors at happy hour so we tend to go for lunch. It is clearly a bar with food. Good food. They have fire grilled handmade pizza, burgers,cheese curds,soups and salads to name a few. I have never had a bad meal here. I have never had great service. It is ok. As a non-drinking customer, I am not their top priority. No smiles when greeted, not many quick check ins about foods or needs. The food service is good-not a bad wait. It simply that I don't feel welcome there as a non-regular. Today, the waitress came running out to find me thinking I had stiffed her-leaving only the tip on the table( with the husband going to the bar to pay the bill because she was busy and we didn't want to wait any more). That was probably my last straw. It is a good location just off a main road, good solid food, but not a welcoming place for all. Maybe I will do carry out, but probably won't be back. Sorry Oaf.

2  Thank cathypMadisonWI
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The food was good, but service and preparation a bit slow. Took a full hour from start to finish and the group ordered a bunch of burgers and steak sandwiches. Food was good and staff were pleasant, just a little slow for a work day lunch, and it didn't appear to be a full place. All in all, I would give them a second shot.