“Hidden Gem in the heart of Madison”
Review of The Bayou - CLOSED

The Bayou
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Hidden Gem in the heart of Madison”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was our first trip here and we will definitely be back. It was a Saturday evening and just happened to be Prom night but we were able to get in right away. The food and drinks were awesome, the staff was very attentive and the prices were reasonable. The Cajun cheese curds were some of the best cheese curds I've had in a while!

• Visited May 2014

Fall River, Wisconsin
“Yummmmm”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was our first time here. The food and drinks were delicious. The service staff were very friendly and upbeat. Can not wait to go back and eat there again. I highly recommend trying!

• Visited March 2014
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Another great meal here”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We try and eat here every time we are in madison. The gravy fries are awesome And so were both the seafood and the gumbo of the day (gator).
The étouffée was delicious and very spicy. My wife had the jambalaya lunch portion and it was huge and really good.
The service was good, the hurricane was strong and the crawfish po boy was also very good. The decor reminds us of pat obriens or countless other Nola courtyards. Good stuff!!'
The

La Crosse, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly staff and great food”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We ate early in the evening, so we got seated immediately and service was excellent. This is a small, cozy restaurant, but was lots of fun.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank sharon s
“Gets me psyched for Mardi Gras”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have this thing for New Orleans. I love the vibe, I love the energy, I love the attitude and I LOVE the food. We happened on this place by accident one summer day. I planted the seed - good place to come back to. On our second trip over the holiday, we were again, the only ones in the place. Don't let that stop you. Our waitperson/bartender took time to chat with us, and help us make the selection. The decor is New Orleans kitsch and I just love it. I'm dying to find a way to have a party here. . .

The drinks are fun - like in New Orleans. I had the hurricane the last time and it tasted authentic, but same with the ones in The Big Easy - too sweet for my taste. I had some rum, mint, mojito (yes in January) and it was fabulous. I love when I tell a bartender what I want (something fun, not too sweet fresh, fun) and they give me a suggestion. Most places will say "it depends on what you want". If I knew what I wanted, I wouldn't ask for a suggestion. But I digress.

My husband had the gumbo - which was a nice sized portion with complex gritty taste and feel. Loved it. Since we were going out to eat in the not too distant future, I wanted something small. I had the barbecue shrimp - the sauce was to die for. I would have just liked a straw. It was warm spicy garlicky decadent. . . the shrimp were a wee bit overcooked (but this is the midwest), but the sauce made me forgive anything/every thing.

We saved space for dessert (oh what a piggy you think I am) and we had the bread pudding. It was good - warm, the sauce was a nice blend of alcohol and sweet). AND I love that they made it there.

I'm too shy to go there for Mardi Gras, but I'll definitely go back. It's a little hard to find, and you have to deal with downtown parking, but it's a really great place for a drink and to just have a fun little date and pretend you are near Bourbon St.

• Visited January 2014