“My fav place and I've been a few places :)”
Review of Alchemy

Alchemy
Ranked #55 of 990 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Madison, Wisconsin
“My fav place and I've been a few places :)”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The Alchemy is wonderful: simple, local/organic when possible, desserts from a local bakery, a menu that complements the season, vegetarian options, eclectic clientele, outdoor seating. I go there often, and each time it pleases no matter what everyone orders.

My absolute favorite is the Matilda; a squash sandwich, ask for a side of extra ranch sauce for it. Complement it with a salad (which are seasonal and SO TASTY!) or the local veggie of the day or soup or sweet potato fries or or or! Lots to choose from. I also love the Houseboat, burgers, grilled cheese, and any special of the day is so tasty!

The only downsides are they only accept cash, and sometimes the wait can be long. But it's worth it!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jeanne P

Seoul, South Korea
“Not overly impressed”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I really wanted to try this place out because I always try to eat local; however, I wasn't overly impressed. First, you must have cash, which I didn't realize until I had arrived. So I ended up leaving and going back the next night. Second, the atmosphere was strange, not upscale, but not very friendly either. I ordered the House Boat chicken sandwich, which the bartender recommended. I thought it was odd and I actually didn't really like the food. The drinks were well priced.

• Visited June 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great menu, great atmosphere”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

The menu here is eclectic yet classic...if that makes sense. They do a twist on burgers, for example. They change up the menu so even a regular will find new items. I've dined there a lot and often order one of their daily specials. On their regular menu, I highly recommend the hanger steak and the curry...yes, curry. It's fantastic. I've ordered it 4 times!

The bartenders are very friendly and attentive. You won't wait long for a drink. I'm not a drinker, but friends tell me they have a great selection.

It's a busy, lively comfortable place. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank JJ76767
OH
“An excellent and unexpected surprise”
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

I stopped in late on a Wednesday hoping to have some bar food. Instead, i encountered a great and focused menu with a mix of small plates and gourmet entrees at an extremely affordable price. The only caveat is cash only, but they have a low-fee ATM inside. The atmosphere is an added bonus - the night I stopped in there was an incredible 3 piece jazz band which made the experience for me. This is one of my new favorite spots in Madison - highly recommended!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank bglodde
Midwest USA
“Alchemy Restaurant Madison WI - Irish Pub Atmosphere - Fine Dining”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stopped by on a Saturday nite, with our son, and daughter-in-law.

This is in a busy area, so plan on taking a few minutes to find nearby parking.

When you walk in, it reminded us of a saloon up in northern WI, or MI, or a pub in Ireland...lots of wood, a bar up a few steps on another level...lots of tables down below. Not a huge dining area, but large enough to make it comfortable, in a relaxed way. Very low-key and unassuming decor.

Lots of great and varied beer on tap. Our son had a house beer, which was very good, and we had wine, smaller glasses, fair amount of wine, merlot and chardonney.

My wife is a carnivore, and ordered the flank steak, which came with garlic mashed potatoes and carrots. It is usually hard to get excited about any type of mashed potatoes...so she didn't..

The giveaway was when she took a bite, and closed her eyes for a few seconds....the steak was incredible, and by virtue of being associated to the potatoes and carrots on the same plate, it brought their score up another level.

My son and I had the Sat special, which was short ribs. It came with garlic mashed potatoes, and brussel sprouts. Once again, unless there is something special added, mashed potatoes are OK, and we will leave it at that... The brussel sprouts were OK, but not incredible..

The short ribs made up for everything else...they were incredible..and as stated earlier, it took the meal up another level.

Our daughter in law had a hamburger plate, and she also gave it a thumbs up...

Their menu is online at their website, along with a list of their vendors. This establishment tries to buy/serve/prepare local items, and we applaud and support that effort.

Be forewarned, credit cards are not accepted at this restaurant, however, there is a low fee ATM right next to the bar area, so either grab some of your allowance $ to take with you, or you can grab some cash at their ATM machine.

All of us give this a two thumbs up Yooper recommendation, with our cold one in the Ford river for you guarantee....

Mahalo

• Visited March 2013

Been to Alchemy? Share your experiences!