“Wonderful stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I am staying in Madison this weekend due to checking out UW admissions information sessions for my college seeking son. I did pretty thorough online research before choosing where to stay. I have been to Madison twice before and did not care to return to the two hotels I previously stayed. I knew I wanted to be within walking distance to State Street and Capitol Square. I hate run down, overpriced hotels. I'm not rich, but I don't mind paying al little more to stay somewhere modern and clean. I am thrilled with my choice at Hyatt Place: Smiling friendly front desk staff, super convenient parking ($10/day), delicious (not run of the mill) complementary breakfast, modern and comfortable decor, huge room, very comfortable beds and pillows - my list of happiness goes on and on. I give a big WOW to the shuttle. They took me back and forth to campus meetings and shopping spots quickly and conveniently. The downsides: no hot tub, small pool, tiny bathroom (but I'm OK with clean, tiny, and modern). I definitely will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a lake view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Spent a summer of grad school at UW so I wanted to spend some time downtown with my family goofing off and showing them some of the places I enjoyed. We knew we would be spending time on State St., going to the Farmer's Market on the Capitol Square, and visiting Monona Terrace. The Hyatt has an ideal location for these things, really! Beyond this...

Check in was very smooth. Awesome that the gal checking in us provided a really nice mini orientation on their property. The parking garage was very convenient and I liked that we could use our room key on the garage to get in and out. The pool was a perfect size for our 12 yo to do a few laps and play around a bit. The breakfast bar was really nice and we really liked that there was a lot of seating (a few tables outside too). This property is quite clean, and free wifi is always appreciated. During our check in the gal mentioned that they had free shuttle service within two miles and encouraged us to leave our car in the garage then if we were going to mainly be spending our time in the nearby area. So, on Saturday night after we walked down State St. to visit the Memorial Union terrace for an evening snack, we just called the hotel and asked them to send a shuttle to pick us up (it was almost 10pm). They were there within minutes.

Nice job Hyatt staff, and we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
South Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed here over the weekend with another couple and really enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We noticed later at night as we conversed in the lobby that there were quite a few employees still chatting with customers and assisting in questions. The rooms were great with the only exception being the water pressure. It started out strong and faded after a few minutes. We joked that it must have been the way for the hotel to "time" showers. The breakfast choices were a pleasant surprise. It would have been nice to have breakfast served until 11am on the weekends to accommodate late nighters who are out enjoying the city and don't rise early. I would recommend this hotel and would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights on a weekend getaway to Madison. We chose the hotel because of its reasonable price and (more importantly) its convenient location, just 5 minutes walk from the Capital square, and 10 minutes walk to State St.
Although it was a little tricky to find (blends in with the neighboring condos and has an unassuming exterior), we were very pleased when we arrived. The front lobby is clean, modern, and inviting, with a cafe area (24 hour access to healthy snacks), several TVs tuned in to the news, and a friendly front desk staff. We were a couple of hours early but were accomodated with no problem.
When we saw our room, we found that it was spacious with a sleek interior. The front part of the room contained a large couch, a desk, and even a "kitchen" with mini fridge. The bed was separated from the rest of the room with a screen. Being on a top floor, we had a view of the Capital (though obscured), and those on the other side of the building had a great view of Lake Monona. The bed itself was very comfortable. One downside was that the bathroom light took a long time to become bright. I am for saving energy as much as the next person, but this seemed a little extreme to have to shower in the dark.
The hotel has a nice fitness center (a couple of aerobic machines) and a pool. Unfortunately no hot tub but the pool was clean and in a well-lit room.
Breakfast was also fantastic (and free) with breakfast sandwiches, fresh fruit, yogurt, and ready-made waffles, much more appealing than your run-of-the mill continental breakfast. But you have to be willing to get up "early" during the week so as not to miss it. The 24-hour access to other sandwiches and snacks is convenient, but very expensive. Under no circumstances is a dried up turkey sandwich worth $9 (the surprise comes at check out).
Parking was also a bit of a downside. It costs $10 per day (which is not horrible given the convenient location), but the parkng garage entry/ exit requires the room key, and we had some difficulties getting out at the end.
All-in-all a great place to stay: close to business, outdoor/ bike trails, and nightlife, and a good night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My husband and I recently shared a room with another couple for a night in Madison for a wedding. The room was perfect considering there were four of us in there- the guys used the living room area to unwind while we girls got ready. There was plenty of room for us to get ready at the sink area. There was only one sink, but plenty of counter space, all outside of the bathroom which consisted of toilet and shower. The separate living room area was really convenient as it had a decent sized couch as well as desk area. There was also a refrigerator which was convenient. Parking is not free, but we did take advantage of the complimentary shuttle. As we did not have much time to sightsee, I can't comment on the convenience of the hotel, but the capitol building was in view from the hotel. We took the shuttle to downtown bars after the wedding and were able to walk back from the bars later (after the shuttle quit running). They are not lying when they say they'll only go within 2 miles. We asked to be taken to the wedding we were attending, but they couldn't because it was 5 miles away. We felt safe walking back from bars, although I still wouldn't exactly recommend doing it alone. Downtown area seemed pretty nice. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and will probably make Hyatt Place one of my top picks for hotels in the future. Also, the breakfast was better than your average "continental" breakfast with fresh made egg sandwiches and make your own parfaits.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I was snowed in for 3 days and was delighted that I was stranded with the staff. They are wonderful and extremely helpful. The hotel and rooms are very clean. The only downfall is that they do not have room service, you do have to go down to the lobby to order the food. The food was average, but the staff made up for any shortcomings. There is plenty of food and activity to do in the area. The staff had recommended wonderful restaurants. Highly recommend the hotel!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 6 June 2012

nothing can beat this as far as location is concerned. We walked to state capitol, monona terrace was less than a mile drive. Hotel was clean, well maintained, nice breakfast made by cooks in the kitchen, breakfast had egg sandwich on english muffins, make your own parfait, fruits, oatmeal, juice and few other options. Staff was good and helped us find places around. our room on 10th floor had city view with monona lake view in distance. only weird thing was, there was not enough room in toilet with door open, you need to slide inside to close the door.

Room Tip: ask for upper floor rooms. visit Maharani indian restaurant across the street, they have best north...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends