“Good value at a walkable on-campus location near the Capitol”
Review of Lowell Center

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madison
Lowell Center
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed at the Lowell center for 3 nights during a UW-Madison sponsored conference. This building was built to be a women's dorm and served that purpose for only 5 years before it became university office space. A few years ago it was remodeled again and now serves as a lodging for people attending campus events. Be aware that the frontage of the building is very narrow, so it can be hard to spot from Langdon St.

The Lowell center is located on the NE edge of campus - half a block from the lakeshore - near the Library Mall/Student Union and on a highly populated street that is a "Fraternity Row." The location is very convenient for walking to either the campus or the Wisconsin Capitol area. The many eclectic shops and dining choices of State Street are only a short distance away. A few minutes' walk will take you to the student union for a late night snack, and it's definitely doable to walk from Lowell center to the Capitol area.

I chose a "standard" room because it was less expensive. I also chose the free off-site parking for the same reason. There is a small turnaround just off Francis St. where you can unload or load your luggage. I was given a parking pass and assigned a spot in the underground parking garage beneath the Fluno Center, which is about three large city blocks away.

A map was on the back of the parking pass, creating the first dilemma: Once you leave your parking pass on the dashboard of the car, how do you find your way back to the hotel? I resolved the issue by taking a photo of it with my smartphone, and it's a good thing I did, because I needed to refer to it later. UW-Madison is a big place and can be a little confusing for the new visitor, so make sure to tuck a campus map into your purse or bag.

As a woman alone, I felt a little eery about walking to and from the underground parking garage at night more than I needed to, so I didn't check on my car for the entire three days I was there. When I did, it was just as I had left it. In general, walking around downtown Madison in the daytime feels OK even for a woman alone, but of course it's always best to have your wits around you and be aware of your surroundings. Even at 9 or 10 at night there are plenty of college students around.

My room was on the first floor of the Lowell center, and small but very clean. The bed slept fine and pillows were ample. My "view" was only of a parking lot, although heavy curtains did close out the street lights. As a slight inconvenience, I could not find the hairdryer for 2 days, it was so well hidden. When I asked at the front desk, they told me it was in a bag in a dresser drawer, which it was. The shower was smallish (no tub) and the showerhead was very low, so I had to stoop down to wash my hair. The room felt like a slightly upgraded college dorm. I could hear my nextdoor neighbors talk on the phone, although I couldn't make out the words. I'm assuming the "deluxe" rooms feel a little less dormlike.

The breakfast, in a very large dining room on the ground floor, offered a big variety of choices, from fruit to waffles to custom-fried eggs to warm oatmeal to doughnuts to yogurt and more. The coffee was good. I discovered on my 2nd day that it is much better to arrive at breakfast early. Many, many people stay at the Lowell center, making the dining room a hectic place. In-room, there was a nice little one-cup coffee maker with an assortment of coffees and teas. I discovered it's possible to run water through the coffee or tea twice to get two cups, making me less reliant upon the dining room.

There was a men's basketball game while I was in Madison, leading to LOTS of activity in the nearby bars and on the streets, including boistrous porch parties at the nearby fraternity houses. The newspaper reported that 1000 people were standing out on the corner of Francis and Langdon Streets, ready to celebrate a winning game. That's exactly where this hotel is located, so if the men's basketball team had won I'm not sure what the noise repercussions would have been for Lowell center guests. Inebriated students seemed to cut through the parking lot to yell and enjoy its echo. They were bothersome but not a major problem.

The in-room wifi was easy to connect to, with zero issues. Everything in the room worked fine, although the space was small. The staff I interacted with were polite and friendly. I did not use the pool. The room had a wing-backed chair and a desk in addition to the bed. There was a refrigerator in the closet that made hanging long coats or dresses inconvenient. The room phone had a card listing extremely high charges for any use of it, so it's a good thing to have a cell phone along.

The price of a Deluxe room is $109/night, and a Standard room is $89/night. Onsite parking is $7.58 per day, and offsite parking is free. My total charge for three nights was $267
(as opposed to $351 in a Deluxe room with parking). I thought that was a pretty good value, considering I got everywhere I needed to go by foot during the time I was in Madison. Recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank PamelaDbq

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

This is the perfect place to stay if you have anything going on at UW Madison. Clean, pretty, quiet room. Fantastic breakfast... Far superior to most hotel breakfasts. We parked in their lot for a small fee and could walk everywhere we needed to go. Would stay again!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel appears to be newly renovated and is in a great location right downtown close to everything that you could need on campus. There were a few issues though that account for an average rating. The room was small (works well for one person), there was zero shower pressure, my tv was going in and out, and the continental breakfast is subpar. Overall it is well worth the price, but get there early because there is limited parking.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mleslie89
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The hotel is convenient to the UW campus. The rooms are spacious and televisions have lots of channels. The bathroom is large although there is no tub. But I never take a bath at hotels anyway. The HVAC system was very loud, but did not disturb our sleep.

They're is free wi-fi and breakfast. They will make your eggs on site. There are three waffle markers. Other than that the breakfast is just average, but good enough to get you through the morning.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. There are lots of local restaurants two blocks away. However, you do have to walk down a hill. Be sure you have your boots it is Wisconsin.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nikki W
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The location is excellent. The lobby is spacious and welcoming. The rooms were extremely comfortable. Several other reviewers mentioned the ambient air temperature as a negative, but since I like my room cool, it was perfect. The bathroom is slightly old school, but that isn't a negative either. The water pressure in the shower was great and the center prides itself on being "green."
The breakfast was amazing. You can get just about anything and it is prepared on site. Another plus? The television was NOT preset to FOX news.
There were pianos everywhere. :-)
I've stayed many places in Madison, but now this is where I will lodge.

Room Tip: You'll probably be on the the 7th floor. No worries! The elevator tells you when you've arri...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at the Lowell center while attending an AP conference at the neighboring Pyle Center. Beds were very comfortable and the room was clean. Breakfast was also a pleasant surprise. We stayed Sunday night and attended our conference on Monday. We walked State street on Sunday afternoon, but it was pretty quiet. Overall, a great stay!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This university run "hotel" is conveniently located close to State Street and the campus. Rooms are well appointed, but not too fancy. Rates are very reasonable. Staff are pleasant and very helpful. The included breakfast is well stocked with "to order" eggs now on the menu.
Reserve early if you plan to go for a Badger football game.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business