“Very surprised and pleased”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madison
Wisconsin Union Hotel
Chicago, Illinois
“Very surprised and pleased”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife is a UW alum and has previously stayed in the old union hotel located in the main union, on the lake. She always referred to it as something close to dorm style. On this trip, we decided to check out the newer Union Hotel in the refurbished Union South. What a surprise! This place was great down to the smallest detail. Staff friendly and helpful. Parking convenient. The room was well-appointed and included a good view. Loved the UW decor everywhere. Only wish there were a better breakfast option on site. All other aspects of this place rock! First hotel I ever stayed in that include a climbing wall and a bowling alley. Awesome! This is my new go-to spot in Madison.

1 Thank SAMT2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Enjoyed a prolonged stay in the Wisconsin Union Hotel. Management was easy to work with when my schedule shifted suddenly. Room cleaning was great and worked with my schedule if I needed to sleep during the day. Location was great with easy access to the UW department I was working in. Food was easy to access downstairs. The room had a nice desk, coffee maker, and refrigerator which were perfect for what I needed. When I was leaving and things were hectic, the management called a cab for me and checked me out quickly. The place is nice, convenient, and professional. Would recommend it to anyone but would particularly recommend it to people coming to do temporary work at a UW department.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank D7340
wishotel, Front Office Manager at Wisconsin Union Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
As you can imagine, a lot of guests staying with us are here on UW business, so we always do our absolute best to ensure your stay is relaxing yet efficient. The Union offers a business center on the second floor which guests may use, along with complimentary wireless internet which may be accessed at any place in the building.

Our staff does its best to make sure we exhaust every possible resource when trying to accommodate for any sudden change in schedule, as we understand the hectic nature of business trips and I'm very pleased we were able to adjust your accommodations as needed. There is always a staff member at the desk 24 hours a day to help with anything you may need whether it be directions, cab service, printing a boarding pass or a simple wake up call.

We thank you for your feedback and hope you choose the Wisconsin Union Hotel for future UW business endeavors!

-Tyler Dovenbarger
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We had a great stay in the Wisconsin Union Hotel. I highly recommend this if you are in Madison for a college visit. This hotel is in the top floors of the newly built Union South on the UW campus. It is only 1 year old, is centrally located, and offers nice amenities. I especially recommend this hotel if you are in Madison for a college tour as the tour begins in the lobby of the hotel and makes figuring out this huge campus much less confusing! If you are tired from your travels to Madison you can eat in one of the restaurants in the Union or order from the locally popular Ian's Pizza.

Room Tip: Book early...they are often sold out!
1 Thank Cincytraveller_10
Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed at the Union South for the first time recently. I was initially concerned about it being a part of a student driven building but my concerns were put to rest quickly. Despite there being many students studying throughout the lobby area and beyond, they were perhaps the most peaceful crowd of students I had encountered in some time. Who wouldn't want to study in such a lovely atmosphere! There were even many parents around the complex. There were many options for food in the building as well. Without doubt the best part of my stay was the room. It was spacious, super clean and pleasant to look at especially if you are a UW fan. Loved the red and white theme with UW accent pillows. My king size bed was very comfortable. Staff were courteous and friendly. Had I known about the mini fridge located in the room prior to arriving, I would have filled it with grocery items for my stay. Only felt that there were two disadvantages. One was the upgrade to a room with a view of the football field that left me wanting more. My view included a distant view of the back of the stadium which I easily could have overlooked. While the bathroom was new looking, I did find it could use some additions. First and foremost, I found the tiles in the shower quite slippery and there wasn't really anything to hold on to. There is no option to bathe...which can be a deterrent to us females who seek a way to shave our legs without difficulty! I would also recommend a change in the brand of bar soap. It left my hands feeling greasy. Despite these drawbacks I would definitely stay in this hotel again and look forward to doing so.

Room Tip: Don't bother to upgrade.
1 Thank Camp F
Colorado
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The real virtue of the Union hotel is in its name--it's actually on top of the new Union South at the University. This means it has all the advantages of a terrific setting as well as the amenities of any student center--coffee house, snack bar, bowling, pool, huge televisions for sports, etc. What's more the students here are fun and generally very friendly and willing to offer advice on what to see, where to go. The hotel itself is very comfortable without being luxe. The rooms are roughly equivalent to a good Holiday Inn, the beds comfortable, equipped with refrigerator, tv, and bath accessories. Only downside I found was that the fitness center was small and poorly equipped if more than one person at a time wants to use it. And while the snack bars have snacks, anyone looking for a full breakfast will have to look elsewhere as they don't even prepare eggs here.

Room Tip: Get great discount if you're a Union member or parent of a UW student.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
wishotel, Front Office Manager at Wisconsin Union Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay here at the Wisconsin Union Hotel and were able to take advantage of the various amenities and activities the hotel, union and university have to offer. All the staff here at the hotel greatly appreciate all of your feedback and do our best to ensure everyone's stay is memorable.

For those extra ambitious individuals who want to get in a good work out and do not find our fitness center meets their needs, we do have an arrangement with the local university recreation center so those guests can pay a $5 entry fee and have full access to the Olympic sized swimming pool, full track and cardio room. The recreation center is a short 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Again, we truly appreciate your feedback and hope to see you back again in the near future!

Tyler Dovenbarger
Dane, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This is the UW-Madison's Union South hotel, which complements their Memorial Union Hotel. If you have anything going on at UW, this is an outstanding place to stay. Everything was top notch and plenty of food choices day and night right in Union South.

Room Tip: End room was a beautiful suite. Views of the curving building, plus other parts of campus were grea...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 February 2012

First of all let me say, I have a very warm spot in my Heart for Union South having put my way through college in the 80's by working here for 4 years. So, I was looking forward to staying at the hotel while visiting our oldest son who is now a freshman at Wisconsin. My wife had stayed here during summer orientation and gave it a thumbs up.

We arrived around 10 pm and checked in, there were 3 of us. Despite having specifically reserved a room online with two queen beds, that is not what we got-instead, we received what I later learned was a "suite.". I'm a pretty regular traveler and have to say that term is a real stretch for this room.

Yes, it had a separate bedroom with a door and a queen sized bed wedged inside with 2 feet of space on one side of the bed and maybe 9 inches on the other. Yes it had a little kitchenette and sofa sleeper. But, the room was basically an L-shaped hallway making it feel crowded. On the other hand everything was clean and new.

My biggest complaint was the a/c. Each of the rooms had a separate unit (should be a plus right?) but the one in the "bedroom" was mounted literally right next to the bed (on the side where the wall was 9" away) and at a height with the unit just above the mattress with the vents aiming directly at the bed. Unless you are someone who enjoys sleeping 12 inches away from a fan, you may find this annoying as we did. Another challenge with the room was the inadequate sound insulation. Granted our "suite" was on the corner with lots of windows, but it was not hard to hear cars going by or sound from rooms above, below or next door. If you are a light sleeper, this may be problematic.

On the plus side you can't beat the location if you are visiting the university, and they do have under ground parking but my advice would be to steer clear of the so-called suites .

• Stayed February 2012