“Good beer and good food”

Vintage Brewing Co.
Ranked #37 of 1,004 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Sometimes you can only get one or the other, but Vintage gives you both great food - including some very creative dishes - and a great beer selection.

It's a brew pub, so you can expect really good beer. I admit to being a bit of a beer snob, so I would rate it hit or miss. I've had some really fantastic pints, but others disappoint. However, there is a long list of options, including rotating seasonals and "guest" beers from other local breweries, so you will probably find something you like.

The atmosphere is casual, but warm. I have been here a number of times, ranging from big parties to dinner with a friend. The place is quite large, so even when you have to wait, it's not very long. There is a large bar area, some tall tables for drinks near the entrance, a main dining room, and a back dining room (that is sometimes used for private parties.)

Food ranges from burgers and wraps to large main entrees. Try the pulled-pork mac-n-cheese. It really hit the spot on a cold night when I craved comfort food. Also a long lit of appetizers, soups, salads, etc., so like the beer, you should be able to find something you like.

The location is in a strip mall/parking lot that isn't exactly happening, but don't let that deter you. The number of cars in the lot will show you it's a popular place.

There are newer reviews for Vintage Brewing Co.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I brought a group of 15 people here over Homecoming weekend in Madison. The restaurant was ready to seat us right on time for our reservation and provided fantastic service throughout the evening. The beer selection was outstanding - our group enjoyed many of the beers, but I think the pumpkin ale came out as the winner. Food was excellent - most of our group ordered burgers. Large selection of eclectic combinations of toppings. Amongst our group, the most interesting combinations were the grilled cheese cheesburger and the prime rib burger - a slab of prime rib on top of the burger. Presentation was nice - a large steak knife was stuck in the middle of each sandwich on arrival at the table. Prices were quite reasonable. Will definitely come back here the next time we visit.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Because of the great reviews here on a recent Thursday night a friend and I decided to give Vintage Brewing Co a try. The parking lot was full but when we got there at 6:15pm we were greeted promptly, pleasantly and got a table right away. It was a mild night and they had outdoor seating available but the scenery is strip malls and busy Whitney Way so opted for inside. The décor was fine; typical Madison WI brew pub. The atmosphere was also brew pub, lots of conversations going on but we had no problem holding conversations at our table. Plus I liked the music they played which was Top 40 1980’s and was not too loud. Our waiter Randy was fabulous! He did everything right.
I got the Black and Bleu Burger ($9.75) w/roasted seasonal veggies of squash, zucchini and red onions ($3). They asked how I wanted the burger done and I opted for medium-rare and the burger was cooked perfectly! In fact the entire burger was out of this world good; one of the best I can remember! I will most definitely be back for this burger. The seasonal veggies were cooked tender crisp but they were cooked in too much olive oil. Luckily it did not make the veggies soggy and I love the taste of olive oil so it was acceptable to me but others might be turned off as after I was done with the veggies there was a very large pool of olive oil (~ ¼ cup) in the bottom of the dish.
I also got a glass of Wollersheim Domaine du Sac Red Blend wine at $6.50. It was worth the price and good but not great. Next time I will try something else. My friend got the build your own burger and opted for just cheddar cheese along with pub chips which are their homemade potato chips. She liked both and would get them again.
All in all a great meal and we will most definitely be back!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Service was quick and pleasant. Portions were generous and prices reasonably. Crispy buffalo chicken sandwich was the hit with our group! Extensive beer menu (many brewed on premises). Not much sound deadening in decorations. My visit was on a Friday evening and it was loud! I would definitely visit again!

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Bring your appetite to this festive brewpub in Suburban Madison. The beer is fine but not special. The real star is the food. As part of a large party I was able to evaluate many of the food offerings, and everything was prepared with that attention to taste and presentation that distinguishes the very good from the excellent. If you want to splurge on something fried you can expect non-greasy, lightly beer-battered heaven! For those who prefer showy meals, there is the burger that instead of a bun is served inside two (!) ham and cheese sandwiches. Fresh foods were good, too, and there were options for vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free. Finally, allow a few minutes to peruse the pictures.