Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown
US$172
US$138
  • Breakfast included
US$90
Sheraton Madison Hotel(Madison)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$181
HotelRED(Madison)
US$124
TripAdvisor
All reviewscookiesalliant energy centerfront deskbiscuits and gravywalking pathyogurtworld dairy expobeer winecocktail hourcold cerealfree drinkspool and hot tub areanice hotelroom was cleansocial hourwould stay here againhard boiled eggs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I wanted to give this hotel a good review just because the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast excellent. But, my overall experience was such that I can't. I spent one night for business, arriving late, around 10 PM, and tired. Check in was easy and the desk clerk helpful. The first negative was the parking, I had to make 3 orbits of the building before I managed to find an open space and get lined up properly in the totally inadequate parking lot. Then, I couldn't get in the rear door with my key card, so I had to walk outside back to the main entrance. If it had been raining or otherwise nasty, I'd have been really unhappy with this. When I got to my room, I could hear a loud noise from inside. Opening the door, I found a large blower fan in the middle of the room, running full blast, the kind that are used to dry a wet carpet. I can understand needing to clean and dry the carpet, but forgetting to remove the fan doesn't score points with me. I turned the fan off and moved it out of my way, and went to bed. In the morning I hurried into the shower (with the really low shower head, if you're tall, stay somewhere else), and it wasn't until I was getting out of the shower that I realized, there were no towels in my room. I did get an extra floor mat towel and three wash cloths, with which I made do to dry off. I stopped at the front desk on the way to breakfast and mentioned this, and got a "oh, sorry" from the clerk, but she didn't seem really too interested. This property had a level of quality and service more suited to a $69 budget place than the $99 - $129 regular rates they charge, I'd expect a little better, especially from an IHG property. Next time in Madtown, I'll try another hotel.

Room Tip: Vending and ice are on floors 2 & 3. My 4th floor room was quiet, but the elevator is slow and small and I spent a lot of time waiting to go up and down.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark C
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for your comments.

We apologize for the inconveniences that occured during your stay. Your comments will be reviewed with our staff to avoid this happening again in the future.

We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed at The Holiday Inn Express for one night for work.
Location: Location is nice, right off of John Nolan Drive off of Hwy 12. It is a 5 minute drive to downtown Madison.

Customer Service: The gentleman at the front desk was very helpful and nice. They had fresh cookies and water available to all guests.

Hotel Room: The hotel room was average. It seems like the hotel was somewhat update recently. Some wear to the room was noted. I am a big stickler for a functional AC. I put the AC on high all night and it fairly warm for me. The bed was so-so. The bathrooms are nice. I know this is minute, but the shower head is placed quite low, I am 5’ 10”. For a large scale chain hotel the room was pretty average.

Conclusion: There are many other hotels in the area that I would stay at for next visit. The customer service was very good but I feel that should be a standard at every hotel. The rooms are just plain jane average. I paid $125 for the night, corporate rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Joshua J
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your comments.

We're sorry to hear that the room was not as comfortable as you had hoped. We will review your comments and look to make improvements.

We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Temperature outside was in the 60's in the p.m. Hallways and elevator felt like it was in the 90's +. Room was very hot, with a temperature that felt like about 85 degrees, air conditioner did not work. It didn't help that you were not able to open a window. We had to spend the time and money to get a fan. We told the front desk, they were going to have someone check on it. We never heard the status of whether or not that was done.

We asked for no cleaning service but apparently they came in and took the ALL the towels without replacing any of them. It was parents weekend at the University of WI - Madison and the rates were triple from what they were in mid July. There was a greasy had print on the curtain.

This building is in need of a major makeover to make it worth spending the $$.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

The day this customer stayed the Wisconsin Badgers played Purdue which was also Parent's Weekend. Never have our rates been triple, or double for that matter, a rate in mid-July for a college football game. Any traveler to an event such as this would expect an upcharge at a location that is close to the stadium where the event is taking place.
The temperature reached 62 degrees at the peak of the day, with temps in the mid-40's for most of the day. While it is accurate that the room windows do not open and a PTAC air conditioner will not always perform properly when temperatures drop to 40 degress, every PTAC unit has a fan switch which allows the user to have outside air come in to their room. We apologize if the guest was not made aware of this. At no time did temperatures in the common areas, hallways, or elevator ever reach the temperatures described, as management was on site the entire day and monitored building temperatures.
While we always strive to meet and exceed the goals of our customers, we apologize for those items where we fell short and will continue to look for ways to improve in these areas.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I could not be any more disappointed in this property. We made reservations 3 weeks ahead of time for a weekend in Madison for a football game. We got into town early and tried to check in at noon. They told us our room wasn't ready yet and that it wouldn't be till almost 3:00. Seeing as the game started at 2:30, we asked if we could leave our car in the lot and check in after 10:00 PM when we got back from downtown. We were told by the ladies at the front desk (Jody, I believe) that it wouldn't be a problem and the reservation is already confirmed.

When we returned to the property by taxi around 10:30, we were told that we lost our reservation because we weren't there by 10:00 PM. We explained to them that we tried checking in once already that day and we're told that coming back later wouldn't be an issue. Well it was an issue. A VERY BIG ISSUE! The manager, Justin, left a message on our home phone line at 9:07 asking if we were still coming. The problem here is, we weren't at home to get this message, and they had my cell number as the primary number on the reservation yet opted out of using it. It is now 11:00, we are inebriated and unable to drive and all of the hotels are sold out due to weddings and the football game.

They were unable to assist us in finding accommodations and were not willing to shuttle or compensate us on getting to a hotel we found 20 minutes away. I've heard of most hotel chains affecting to pay for the room elsewhere, offer a free stay in the future at their property or something to that effect and Justin and his staff offered none of that.

We travel a lot and have never had a situation like this happen. The disappointment in the way that this location of the IHG treated us and our reservation will not be soon forgotten.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pwash79
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

The events listed in this review did not occur at our inn. TripAdvisor has been notified that it has incorrectly listed this review.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

From the moment I called to make my reservation, to check-in and check-out, this hotel well exceeded my expectations. I travel several times a month for work, so I am familiar with this brand, but let me tell you, the folks at this Holiday Inn Express are top notch! I was in town during a busy football weekend, the hotel was sold out, but the staff could not have been more welcoming and accomodating. The two gentleman that checked me in were superb. One appeared to be training, but his welcome demeanor and professional attitude was excellent. He even said he baked the night's cookie selection! He's a keeper! Breakfast in the morning was great, and my check out experience was very smooth. Kudos to the management of this place; they sure know how to hire excellent, caring staff! If I find myself in Madison again, I will definitely be staying here, and will recommend for friends coming through the area!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Cooper H

Thank you for your kind words regarding your most recent stay with us.

Our goal is to provide service that exceeds your expectations. I'm glad to hear we accomplished our goal.

We look forward to serving you in the future.