“It was awful..”

Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Rochester, Minnesota
“It was awful..”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My friend and I came to visit my cousin and go out for a night on the town, we just wanted a cheapish hotel to sleep at. We weren't looking for anything too extravagant, just somewhere that we could sleep comfortably and was just a short cab ride from the downtown area. But our room was absolutely ridiculous!! We stayed in a room with two beds and the minute we walked in we were hit by a super hot room that smelled damp and of mold...and we soon found the cause of this smell. There was mold in the tiles in the bathroom shower. On top of that the rest of the tiles were dingy and in desperate need of a good scrub down. Also there was still hair in the shower! Yuck!

So once we made it past the bathroom (that was our first stop because after the long car ride we were both in desperate need of the toilet!) we went to turn down the heat and get comfortable before we started getting ready for our night out. Thats when my friend found the dirty cup with lipstick all over it next to her bed. Double yuck!! Starting to get frustrated we decided to put it out of our minds and just take a little nap since we were ahead of schedule and both exhausted from the car ride. But when I pulled the blankets down I saw that my sheets were stained with brownish red and it felt as thought they hadn't been washed since they still smelled of someones cologne. We called down and recieved a change of sheets and then took a quick nap. The beds were horribly uncomfortable.

The rest of our night in Madison went wonderfully and we had an excellent time, until we came back to the hotel. We weren't aware that we had to swipe our room key to get back in so we tapped on the door and nicely flagged down the person at the front desk. He scowled at us and let us in and proceeded to say "Can't you read??". We didn't see the small sign on the far side of the big sliding doors that said to swipe your key. Apologizing we went up to our room and went to bed (uncomfortably).

The next morning we woke up and went downstairs for the free breakfast that came with our stay. I got a cinnamon roll and biscuits and gravy and my friend got apple juice and pancakes with syrup (that they only offered in sugar free so it tasted awful). My cinnamon roll was so dry that I couldn't even swallow my bite of it without drinking most of my water, and the biscuits and gravy were cold. My friends pancake was super bland and her apple juice was so watered down it tasted more like water than juice.

We gave up on breakfast and went to leave for our room when one of the hotel employees came up to my friend (who was wearing her slippers since she only had heels up in the room because she forgot her tennis shoes in the car) and RUDELY told her she needed to leave because she had to have shoes on when out of her room.

After that we were so angry that we just packed up and checked out right then and there. The only good thing to be said about this hotel was the receptionist we checked out from and I wish I would have gotten her name. She was wonderful and very polite. We told her our complaints and she assured us that she would talk to her manager about it. She was fabulous! But unless you plan on staying in the lobby and talking to that specific receptionist DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL! A motel 6 on the freeway would have been better...

Room Tip: Just don't get one...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ashley0607
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Our hotel has just completed a total renovation of the bathroom and most of the items in the hotel are now new.
We do have the heat on in the rooms, as the temperature outside on most days has been below zero. We feel guests would rather come in to a room that is heated than uncomfortably cold.
There is no mold on the literally new tile in the bathroom and the beds are new Serta pillow top mattresses.
We're sorry to hear this guest did not enjoy their stay, but some of the information in the survey are simply inaccurate.
It is accurate that staff had to ask this guest to follow basic rules within the hotel, this may reflect the guest's negative views of their overall stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We have been coming here since my 10 yr old was born. We now have a 5 and 10 year old and it still fits our needs. Very nice hotel for the price. It has a nice size pool indoor and out, a nice kiddie splash area and one larger slide for bigger kids. Perfect for a little weekend getaway! The American Girl store is in the mall next door and there are tons of things to do in the Madison area not to mention a wonderful FREE zoo!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine C
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay.

We hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again now that our hotel has completed its major interior renovation project!
Whitelaw, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Use to stay here frequently 5 years , then I gave everything a 5 star. It is not the same hotel. Staff was lack luster, from when I checked in, as I came an went, and when I checked out. Not once did they make me feel welcomed. With the price I paid, I expected more. Next time I go to Madison, I will go back to staying on the Capital Square.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Judy G
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We're sorry you did not experience the quality of service you have experienced at our inn in the past.

Your comments have been reviewed with the staff in an effort to once again exceed that level. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Osseo, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I wanted to give this hotel a good review just because the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast excellent. But, my overall experience was such that I can't. I spent one night for business, arriving late, around 10 PM, and tired. Check in was easy and the desk clerk helpful. The first negative was the parking, I had to make 3 orbits of the building before I managed to find an open space and get lined up properly in the totally inadequate parking lot. Then, I couldn't get in the rear door with my key card, so I had to walk outside back to the main entrance. If it had been raining or otherwise nasty, I'd have been really unhappy with this. When I got to my room, I could hear a loud noise from inside. Opening the door, I found a large blower fan in the middle of the room, running full blast, the kind that are used to dry a wet carpet. I can understand needing to clean and dry the carpet, but forgetting to remove the fan doesn't score points with me. I turned the fan off and moved it out of my way, and went to bed. In the morning I hurried into the shower (with the really low shower head, if you're tall, stay somewhere else), and it wasn't until I was getting out of the shower that I realized, there were no towels in my room. I did get an extra floor mat towel and three wash cloths, with which I made do to dry off. I stopped at the front desk on the way to breakfast and mentioned this, and got a "oh, sorry" from the clerk, but she didn't seem really too interested. This property had a level of quality and service more suited to a $69 budget place than the $99 - $129 regular rates they charge, I'd expect a little better, especially from an IHG property. Next time in Madtown, I'll try another hotel.

Room Tip: Vending and ice are on floors 2 & 3. My 4th floor room was quiet, but the elevator is slow and s...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark C
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for your comments.

We apologize for the inconveniences that occured during your stay. Your comments will be reviewed with our staff to avoid this happening again in the future.

We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Chicago IL
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed at The Holiday Inn Express for one night for work.
Location: Location is nice, right off of John Nolan Drive off of Hwy 12. It is a 5 minute drive to downtown Madison.

Customer Service: The gentleman at the front desk was very helpful and nice. They had fresh cookies and water available to all guests.

Hotel Room: The hotel room was average. It seems like the hotel was somewhat update recently. Some wear to the room was noted. I am a big stickler for a functional AC. I put the AC on high all night and it fairly warm for me. The bed was so-so. The bathrooms are nice. I know this is minute, but the shower head is placed quite low, I am 5’ 10”. For a large scale chain hotel the room was pretty average.

Conclusion: There are many other hotels in the area that I would stay at for next visit. The customer service was very good but I feel that should be a standard at every hotel. The rooms are just plain jane average. I paid $125 for the night, corporate rate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joshua J
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for your comments.

We're sorry to hear that the room was not as comfortable as you had hoped. We will review your comments and look to make improvements.

We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Temperature outside was in the 60's in the p.m. Hallways and elevator felt like it was in the 90's +. Room was very hot, with a temperature that felt like about 85 degrees, air conditioner did not work. It didn't help that you were not able to open a window. We had to spend the time and money to get a fan. We told the front desk, they were going to have someone check on it. We never heard the status of whether or not that was done.

We asked for no cleaning service but apparently they came in and took the ALL the towels without replacing any of them. It was parents weekend at the University of WI - Madison and the rates were triple from what they were in mid July. There was a greasy had print on the curtain.

This building is in need of a major makeover to make it worth spending the $$.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
The day this customer stayed the Wisconsin Badgers played Purdue which was also Parent's Weekend. Never have our rates been triple, or double for that matter, a rate in mid-July for a college football game. Any traveler to an event such as this would expect an upcharge at a location that is close to the stadium where the event is taking place.
The temperature reached 62 degrees at the peak of the day, with temps in the mid-40's for most of the day. While it is accurate that the room windows do not open and a PTAC air conditioner will not always perform properly when temperatures drop to 40 degress, every PTAC unit has a fan switch which allows the user to have outside air come in to their room. We apologize if the guest was not made aware of this. At no time did temperatures in the common areas, hallways, or elevator ever reach the temperatures described, as management was on site the entire day and monitored building temperatures.
While we always strive to meet and exceed the goals of our customers, we apologize for those items where we fell short and will continue to look for ways to improve in these areas.
Chicago
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I could not be any more disappointed in this property. We made reservations 3 weeks ahead of time for a weekend in Madison for a football game. We got into town early and tried to check in at noon. They told us our room wasn't ready yet and that it wouldn't be till almost 3:00. Seeing as the game started at 2:30, we asked if we could leave our car in the lot and check in after 10:00 PM when we got back from downtown. We were told by the ladies at the front desk (Jody, I believe) that it wouldn't be a problem and the reservation is already confirmed.

When we returned to the property by taxi around 10:30, we were told that we lost our reservation because we weren't there by 10:00 PM. We explained to them that we tried checking in once already that day and we're told that coming back later wouldn't be an issue. Well it was an issue. A VERY BIG ISSUE! The manager, Justin, left a message on our home phone line at 9:07 asking if we were still coming. The problem here is, we weren't at home to get this message, and they had my cell number as the primary number on the reservation yet opted out of using it. It is now 11:00, we are inebriated and unable to drive and all of the hotels are sold out due to weddings and the football game.

They were unable to assist us in finding accommodations and were not willing to shuttle or compensate us on getting to a hotel we found 20 minutes away. I've heard of most hotel chains affecting to pay for the room elsewhere, offer a free stay in the future at their property or something to that effect and Justin and his staff offered none of that.

We travel a lot and have never had a situation like this happen. The disappointment in the way that this location of the IHG treated us and our reservation will not be soon forgotten.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pwash79
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
The events listed in this review did not occur at our inn. TripAdvisor has been notified that it has incorrectly listed this review.