“Horrible place to stay!!!!!”

Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The customer service at this hotel is horrible! I have never been treated so badly at a hotel before! There was a group of us there with our kids after a youth wrestling tournament. We were kicked out of the lobby and out of the halls and told we had to go to our rooms at 8:30 at night. We asked if there were complaints and there were none. We were not doing anything wrong but simply trying to watch a basketball game. No drinks of any kind are allowed in the pool area. We asked to talk to a manager and were denied even though there are signs everywhere saying to let the Manager know if you are unhappy with your stay and they will make it right or you won't pay for that part of the stay. We asked for our money back that evening and we were denied that also. We even called the manager on Monday morning and were told they did nothing wrong. The hotel may have been renovated but their customer service sucks! After this experience I will never stay at any Holiday Inn ever again!!!!!!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue L
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

This group decided, without the knowledge or consent of the hotel, to occupy our breakfast room and lobby and have a party, complete with alcoholic beverages, and watch the Badger NCAA basketball game.
At no time did this group ever contact management and ask that an area be set aside for such a gathering as they would have been told that one did not exist.
They were informed this area was not designed for their party, that they were making far too much noise, and they needed to vacate the area and simply go to their rooms and watch the game. They refused.
What she doesn't mention in her review is that the police had to be called to have them removed from the area. Any business regards calling the police department as an extreme action and one of final resort. The Madison Police Department had to come out, stand in the lobby and wait more than one half hour for the group to disburse.
We do not give out refunds for those individuals that do not follow the policies of the inn and certainly do not offer them when the police are called to have them enforce the policy.
We've received a suprising number of comments from the rest of the guests in the hotel thanking us for taking the action that we did.
While receiving a low score on a review and having someone say they will not return is not our or any hotel's wishes, this is not the type of business our hotel wishes to attract and we promise to all future guests to work to maintain an environment in our building that is safe and one that all can enjoy.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown

Reviewed 19 February 2014

The location was just perfect - not to far from the university and capital. We drove in for a campus tour and after 5 hours in the car it was nice to have easy location and friendly staff. After looking online at reviews I was worried about a "smell" but the only thing we "smelled" was NEW everything! Great remodel - fun colors, great furniture and very clean. Our room was clean, smelled great and the bathroom was wonderful (a little small) but loved the new sink and colors. When looking for a hotel the two musts are free breakfast and a pool - both were great. Our son loved the great variety of food and I will say the coffee was good. Our daughter enjoyed the pool and after an all day tour in the snow at the University it was nice to relax in the hot tub! If the choice is the university of Madison we WILL return to the Holiday Inn Express for our visits!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn6797
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review of the Newly Remodeled Holiday Inn Express of Madison!

We are glad to see that you have enjoyed all the changes to the property and all we have to offer to our guests.

We look forward to offering you the same outstanding service and quality product on your next visit.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Front desk staff very friendly. New renovations very nice and clean. Location great. Rooms quiet. Breakfast buffet and coffee fantastic. Definitely worth the price for the double bed room! Great stay and will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank notfarfromhome
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

We're glad to see you enjoyed your stay at the newly renovated Holiday Inn Express of Madison.

We look forward to offering you similar high quality product and service for your future visits to Madison.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

My friend and I came to visit my cousin and go out for a night on the town, we just wanted a cheapish hotel to sleep at. We weren't looking for anything too extravagant, just somewhere that we could sleep comfortably and was just a short cab ride from the downtown area. But our room was absolutely ridiculous!! We stayed in a room with two beds and the minute we walked in we were hit by a super hot room that smelled damp and of mold...and we soon found the cause of this smell. There was mold in the tiles in the bathroom shower. On top of that the rest of the tiles were dingy and in desperate need of a good scrub down. Also there was still hair in the shower! Yuck!

So once we made it past the bathroom (that was our first stop because after the long car ride we were both in desperate need of the toilet!) we went to turn down the heat and get comfortable before we started getting ready for our night out. Thats when my friend found the dirty cup with lipstick all over it next to her bed. Double yuck!! Starting to get frustrated we decided to put it out of our minds and just take a little nap since we were ahead of schedule and both exhausted from the car ride. But when I pulled the blankets down I saw that my sheets were stained with brownish red and it felt as thought they hadn't been washed since they still smelled of someones cologne. We called down and recieved a change of sheets and then took a quick nap. The beds were horribly uncomfortable.

The rest of our night in Madison went wonderfully and we had an excellent time, until we came back to the hotel. We weren't aware that we had to swipe our room key to get back in so we tapped on the door and nicely flagged down the person at the front desk. He scowled at us and let us in and proceeded to say "Can't you read??". We didn't see the small sign on the far side of the big sliding doors that said to swipe your key. Apologizing we went up to our room and went to bed (uncomfortably).

The next morning we woke up and went downstairs for the free breakfast that came with our stay. I got a cinnamon roll and biscuits and gravy and my friend got apple juice and pancakes with syrup (that they only offered in sugar free so it tasted awful). My cinnamon roll was so dry that I couldn't even swallow my bite of it without drinking most of my water, and the biscuits and gravy were cold. My friends pancake was super bland and her apple juice was so watered down it tasted more like water than juice.

We gave up on breakfast and went to leave for our room when one of the hotel employees came up to my friend (who was wearing her slippers since she only had heels up in the room because she forgot her tennis shoes in the car) and RUDELY told her she needed to leave because she had to have shoes on when out of her room.

After that we were so angry that we just packed up and checked out right then and there. The only good thing to be said about this hotel was the receptionist we checked out from and I wish I would have gotten her name. She was wonderful and very polite. We told her our complaints and she assured us that she would talk to her manager about it. She was fabulous! But unless you plan on staying in the lobby and talking to that specific receptionist DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL! A motel 6 on the freeway would have been better...

Room Tip: Just don't get one...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ashley0607
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Our hotel has just completed a total renovation of the bathroom and most of the items in the hotel are now new.
We do have the heat on in the rooms, as the temperature outside on most days has been below zero. We feel guests would rather come in to a room that is heated than uncomfortably cold.
There is no mold on the literally new tile in the bathroom and the beds are new Serta pillow top mattresses.
We're sorry to hear this guest did not enjoy their stay, but some of the information in the survey are simply inaccurate.
It is accurate that staff had to ask this guest to follow basic rules within the hotel, this may reflect the guest's negative views of their overall stay.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We have been coming here since my 10 yr old was born. We now have a 5 and 10 year old and it still fits our needs. Very nice hotel for the price. It has a nice size pool indoor and out, a nice kiddie splash area and one larger slide for bigger kids. Perfect for a little weekend getaway! The American Girl store is in the mall next door and there are tons of things to do in the Madison area not to mention a wonderful FREE zoo!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine C
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay.

We hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again now that our hotel has completed its major interior renovation project!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Use to stay here frequently 5 years , then I gave everything a 5 star. It is not the same hotel. Staff was lack luster, from when I checked in, as I came an went, and when I checked out. Not once did they make me feel welcomed. With the price I paid, I expected more. Next time I go to Madison, I will go back to staying on the Capital Square.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy G
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

We're sorry you did not experience the quality of service you have experienced at our inn in the past.

Your comments have been reviewed with the staff in an effort to once again exceed that level. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I wanted to give this hotel a good review just because the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast excellent. But, my overall experience was such that I can't. I spent one night for business, arriving late, around 10 PM, and tired. Check in was easy and the desk clerk helpful. The first negative was the parking, I had to make 3 orbits of the building before I managed to find an open space and get lined up properly in the totally inadequate parking lot. Then, I couldn't get in the rear door with my key card, so I had to walk outside back to the main entrance. If it had been raining or otherwise nasty, I'd have been really unhappy with this. When I got to my room, I could hear a loud noise from inside. Opening the door, I found a large blower fan in the middle of the room, running full blast, the kind that are used to dry a wet carpet. I can understand needing to clean and dry the carpet, but forgetting to remove the fan doesn't score points with me. I turned the fan off and moved it out of my way, and went to bed. In the morning I hurried into the shower (with the really low shower head, if you're tall, stay somewhere else), and it wasn't until I was getting out of the shower that I realized, there were no towels in my room. I did get an extra floor mat towel and three wash cloths, with which I made do to dry off. I stopped at the front desk on the way to breakfast and mentioned this, and got a "oh, sorry" from the clerk, but she didn't seem really too interested. This property had a level of quality and service more suited to a $69 budget place than the $99 - $129 regular rates they charge, I'd expect a little better, especially from an IHG property. Next time in Madtown, I'll try another hotel.

Room Tip: Vending and ice are on floors 2 & 3. My 4th floor room was quiet, but the elevator is slow and s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark C
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for your comments.

We apologize for the inconveniences that occured during your stay. Your comments will be reviewed with our staff to avoid this happening again in the future.

We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.