“Sooo close to perfect!”

Residence Inn Madison East
Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 5 March 2013

My husband and I were visiting friends and decided to stay here to be close to the downtown area and because it had good ratings and a very reasonable rate. The hotel is located across from the mall and with several restaurants and grocery (we went to Hy Vee down the street). We checked in and, right away, we loved the room. We had the 1 bedroom room and there was a really nice kitchenette and a living room with a big sofa and TV, desk and table. I am a former property manager and work in real estate so I'm very critical of things like cleanliness and how a room is presented. This room was super clean and very comfortable. Great king sized bed in a separate room. Loved the decor and all the nice upgrades like granite countertops. Everything felt new and modern in style. We ran out of time and didn't get to use the pool area and that's sad because it looked really nice! I remember saying to my husband before I went to bed that I loved the place and wanted to move in! BUT that's before 6am came around and everyone woke up. We could hear every single word spoken around us and the doors slammed so loud every time someone went in and out of their room. Lots of stomping from the rooms upstairs. I did ask for an upper level room and did not get it but should have asked at check in and I forgot. This is too bad because I was about to leave the best review ever. The hotel would be well advised to add actuators to the doors so they don't slam shut. This would help very much--wouldn't stop the noise from talking but that's less annoying than the slams. Would suggest travelers ask for the 3rd floor and end of the hallway. We were next to the elevator and I'm thinking there might have been some congregating there, as well. Wish I could have given this 5 stars but just couldn't due to the noise. Other than that, we very much enjoyed our stay and were very impressed with the housekeeping staff's work, in particular. Well done!

Room Tip: 3rd floor so you don't hear noise from above and end of the hall to avoid noise from elevators a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Madison East

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute for an unplanned trip. We arrived about midnight and found ourselves needing to call the hotel for directions from the airport. Surprisingly, the only staff person on duty informed us he had no idea how to get to the hotel from the airport. Thus, we had a rough start to our stay, which involved a lot of difficulty in locating the hotel. But once arrived, the hotel itself was very nice, updated and comfortable. The staff on duty in the morning were friendly, breakfast was good and the room was very clean. It was a much nicer Residence Inn than that at which we have previously stayed. I would stay again (now that I have directions!).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have stayed at a number of Marriott hotels for both business and personal travel and this property was nicely setup and comfortable. The staff were very welcoming and even allowed me to check out late so I could drive to Milwaukee to be closer to the airport for flexibility in getting flights during the big east coast storm.

The food is not gourmet, but is equal to or better than that of other Residences which I have stayed. The Unos pizza was nice touch and my boss said that they had lasagna one evening when he stayed there as well. This location also serves beer and wine with dinner. Although there were restaurants in the area it was nice to be able to stay in, eat, and have a drink without having to drive.

Overall my experience was positive and I would suggest and recommend this location for anyone looking for a comfortable and relaxing stay in the Madison area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Jennifer S, General Manager at Residence Inn Madison East, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you very much for the great feedback regarding your stay with us. It's feedback like yours that helps to make sure we are continuously exceeding guest expectations.

I am very pleased that your stay went so well and that you were able to really enjoy our evening dinner during your stay. I hope that we see you again on your future travels to Madison.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed with 3 adults and 5 kids in a two bedroom suite; we were looking for a place close to Cascade that offered a little more space and the ability to prepare meals. Boy did we find it! Initially, I was wary because of the smell others had commented on. Marriott must have responded to those concerns because you walk in to smell of freshness and it continues all the way through. The lobby, hearth room, hallways and room were meticulously clean. Donna at the front desk even went through the trouble of looking into fun activities for kids in the Madison area for our group. What a wonderful welcome and a wonderful lady! Though small, our kids thoroughly enjoyed the pool area and were especially happy that kids over 6 could use the hot tub. Ron, the morning cook, outdid himself by being friendly and efficient. He was attentive to the morning meal and put something different out each day; this is definitely a step above your normal hotel continental breakfast. They even serve dinner Monday through Thursday! If you are considering options in Madison, you wont't go wrong here.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2012

This is a pretty typical Residence Inn type layout. We stayed in a 2 bed, 2 bath room and it, like all others, had been recently updated. The updates appeared to mostly be carpeting and paint however.

The property is conveniently located off a major interchange and is located adjacent to all sorts of shopping.

We ate breakfast and dinner here and there seemed to be a much more limited selection of foods than at other RI proprties that we've stayed at. The food was alright tasting but the kitchen staff rarely came out during meal times and the food area became dirty quite quickly. Other properties we've stayed out pretty much had a person there full time during the meal hours who kept the food supplied and the area cleaned.

The front desk staff were polite but very inattentive. On both nights, the person in charge (different people) either had her guy friends standing in the lobby talking to her or she was outside smoking a cigarette with her boyfriend. Extremely unprofessional and made it a hassle to purchase anything from their mini-store area. Try buying a food selection when the person who sold it to you just took her damp cigarette out of her mouth. Yuck!

The housekeeping was on the fair to poor side. We had two sheets with stains on them and I requested replacements. One of the replacement sheets was also stained. I had to request better cleaning around the outside of our toilet because it obviously hadn't been cleaned in awhile. The hallways had a strong deoderant type smell to them and I noticed the same scraps of paper on the floor for the entire time we were at the property. Obviously, the cleaning staff walked over the same scraps without bothering to pick them up.

It had snowed 5 days before we stayed here and the parking lot was a mess with snow the entire time. It snowed about 1/2" more on the morning we left and still hadn't been plowed. You would think they would like a clean parking lot to keep the melted snow and dirt out of the inside of the property, but apparently not.

Finally, our kids enjoyed the pool but the whirlpool had a really obvious brown stain around the rim from not having been cleaned in awhile.

Overall, the remodeling makes this property appear better than it is. The service provided seems very much unlike the other Marriott properties we've stayed at. The front desk staff seems more like part timers from the college area who really haven't bought into the Marriott culture. This property could use some professional management who checks up on the work that the staff does.

Room Tip: During the winter, don't get a corner room like we did. Takes way too long to heat it up and you...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Jennifer S, General Manager at Residence Inn Madison East, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize you had such a negative experience while staying at our hotel. I want to assure you that these issues have been addressed. We have taken several steps to help ensure these situations don’t happen again. We hope with our continued efforts to improve the quality of stay for our guests, you will give the Residence Inn by Marriott Madison East another try if you find yourself in the Madison area again.

Sincerely, Jennifer Schneider General Manager

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I am finishing up a 3-month project here in Madison and being away from my own home is usually dreary. My stays here at the Residence Inn have made my non-working time in Madion very enjoyable. The staff is superb and have been the best part of my stay. They greet me like I live there and are genuinely glad to see me. Makes me feel great after a long day. I wish I had written down all their names but every single one, from the front desk, to the catering staff, to the housekeeping staff, all have gone above and beyond to make sure my stay was comfortable and pleasant. I liked to go hang out with them in the lobby while they were cleaning up dinner. The breakfast cook is such a sweet person, as well -- always a friendly greeting. The rooms are lovely and well-maintained. I only had one time when the room I was assigned was not comfortable and I was able to easily switch. I'll miss checking in and seeing the friendly faces on Monday. If my work ever brings me back, this will be the first place I will stay. Thank you so much for making this road warrior's journey a little brighter. Happy Holidays to ALL of you and may 2013 bring the best. Please share my accolades with your superior staff.

Room Tip: Make sure you find out if there are pets near your room -- I never had a problem but if you are a li...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2012

The room was very nicely updated and it was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I did not eat the hot breakfast, but was pleased they also offered hard boiled eggs. The fitness center was certainly do-able as well. Parking was pretty tight on a full night, but I was able to find a space both nights. The location is very convenient to the highway, east towne mall, and only a few easy miles to campus/capitol. Great option to stay at a Marriott even when doing business by the capitol or on campus. Still wish there was actually a Marriott on campus though!

Room Tip: Stayed in a two-bedroom that could easily accommodate at least 6 people!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business