“Nothing special for how much the price was.”

Hilton Madison Monona Terrace
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
New Ulm, Minnesota, USA
“Nothing special for how much the price was.”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I was looking for a quick cheap, but nice hotel to stay at near city center while helping a friend move to Madison. I got the hotel off of priceline for $60 with taxes and fees, so I can't complain all that much. I've stayed in at least 10 hotels in the past year, some in larger cities than madison and I've never had to pay to park, that was $13.50 a night. Also, I've never been in a hotel ever that hasn't had free wireless or wired internet. Ridiculous in today's age that a person has to pay $10 a day for internet.

That aside, the hotel was nice, very clean and has very nice views. The AC did reset itself back to 72 degrees in the middle of the night (don't know why) but that was a bit anoying.

All I know is that if I were to have actually paid the $180 the hotel room would've been if I would've got it from Orbitz, I would have thought that paying for the parking and internet was ridiculous.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank DFG07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Bergen County, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2011

After picking up my luggage in the MSN airport (it beat me to the carousel), I used the free 2-digit phone kiosk to call the Hilton Monona Terrace. Their (free) van picked me up in less than the promised 15 minutes. The young, pleasant driver chatted with me about restaurants on the way back to town.

This (11 story?) hotel is smaller than many Hiltons, so the hallways aren't so long. And the color scheme and lighting make the interior much lighter and less prison-like. My room was large enough, with a very big desk, and an electric outlet on every table-lamp base. My air-conditioner wasn't cold enough. Although it was Sunday, an engineer was in the room within 15 minutes, and drained the lines on my machine. When it went bad again in 20 minutes, I was instantly given another room on the same floor. I declined the offer of help moving. The air conditioners here are a little louder than many places I've been. Some rooms have a lake view, but I had a state Capitol (street) view.

The employees were prompt to step up and staff an empty space on the front desk and answer my questions. They were friendly and helpful. WiFi Internet isn't free, but if you need it, the Convention Center has free low-speed internet, and the lobbies are public. It may have been my air-conditioning problem, but the Hilton cheerfully comped my WiFi. As I said, the staff is very nice.

The hotel connects (via a long, enclosed) pedestrian bridge to the Monona Terrace convention center. This was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, but built after his death. This was the decision-maker for my business trip, although there are cheaper hotels in downtown Madison. There are at least 20 restaurants within 5 blocks, ranging from delis and dive-bars to white-tablecloth fine-dining. The University of Wisconsin-Madison is not quite within walking distance. Parking is $13 a day, unlimited in/out.

There's a full steakhouse-type restaurant in the hotel, but the Breakfast room ($17.95 buffet, plus a la carte) is limited to the main lounge/bar annex. It's big enough, but you have to walk through it to get to the Convention Center. Breakfast was satisfactory.

My conference-negotiated convention rate (prepaid, non-refundable) was $155/night. My conference wasn't very big, but I think the Hilton was full for most of the week.

Room Tip: On-line reservations produce an upgrade offer for additional cash.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This Hilton was great! I was there for a business trip and was greeted with a smile from the moment we pulled up. The valet attendants were funny and quick and didn't mind helping us with ALL the bags I had brought along. The location is less than a block from the Capital building (beautiful) as well as a weekly farmers market and some awesome pubs/diners. The views of Lake Monona were stunning as well. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place in Madison. The staff was courteous the entire time and the rooms were new and well kept!

Room Tip: Both Lake and Capital side views are wonderful!
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We have stayed at a lot of hotels over the years traveling with a pet and while many have “allowed” our dog none of them have welcomed them until now. During our stay our dog’s name was written on a chalkboard inside the main door that that said “We welcome our 4 legged VIP Guest, Krista”. It may sound silly but it was a nice touch and all of the staff then generally greeted her by name as we came and went during our 3 days there. But don’t fret non-pet people, the hotel was spotlessly clean and the rooms in great shape! We found the location to be very convenient to downtown Madison and plenty of great places to eat; you won’t need to move your car once you get there! Overall we had a great stay and look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have nice views.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I am not a complainer by nature but after my stay here last weekend, I felt compelled to write. I went to college in Madison and was excited to stay near downtown with my husband & 3-month-old infant son to attend a friend's afternoon wedding reception. I had stayed at this Hilton a couple of times in the past for weddings - I always found it easy and nice compared to other Madison area hotels. I booked a "king lakeview suite" on the Hilton website for $160 - not terribly expensive, but definitely not cheap for a college town.

After attending our friend's reception on a hot July day, we arrived at the hotel around 5:30/6. Our son was hungry and exhausted and we were looking forward to cool down and relax a bit before meeting friends for an early dinner. The lot was full but the doorman (who was great) offered to park our car via valet and waive the cost. Upon check-in at the front desk, we were told that our room wasn't available yet (a little strange at 6 p.m.) so we were offered two free drinks at the bar and told it would be about 20 minutes. It turned out to be well over an hour (I had to feed my son at the bar, which was a little embarrassing). We didn't have much time to change before dinner so when our room was ready, we were in there for maybe 5 minutes and then were out the door. When we got back from dinner, we noticed the room was really hot so we cranked the air conditioner and waited for it to cool off. After about 45 minutes, I called downstairs to complain and a handyman came up. He was there for over 30 minutes when he said he needed go downstairs and talk to the manager. This was around 10:30 at night -- while we were trying at a late hour to get our son to sleep, which was challenging given he was so hot. Our next visit was from the general manager who came in and apologized for the heat, saying there wasn't much he could do since the hotel was booked (!) and that while there was one room available, it had a wet floor and double beds. He tried to convince us not to move because our son was sleeping, we had a lot of stuff and there were queen double beds (in addition to the wet floor). In the meantime, our son was sleeping in a pool of sweat - it was SO disgusting in our room given that it was a 90+ degree summer evening. The manager brought us a fan and put a bucket of cold ice behind it to keep our son cool in his crib. He then told us that while he couldn't refund our room since it was booked on the Hilton site, he would give us another night's stay at the hotel for a football weekend (the only reason we would be back in Madison) and a free breakfast. We were really upset by the situation, but so exhausted that we decided to give it a go with the fan.

We slept a couple of restless hours and then all of us were up. It was a zillion degrees in the room and seemed to be getting hotter! Our son couldn't get back to sleep and overall, it felt like we were camping. I called the front desk around 2 am and asked for us to be moved to the room with the wet floor - at that point, I really didn't care. I was told that the room had already been taken and there was nothing anyone could do...and the manager had gone home for the night. They couldn't even move us to another hotel! The front desk person then told me a trick for how to fix the air conditioner (??) - I emphasized that two people, including the manager, had already been up and confirmed it was broken. He kept repeating that his trick would work so I told him to come up and try it. He said he would be up in a few minutes to try and also bring another fan (hello -- why weren't we brought two fans in the first place - no air conditioning!) So we had a third person in our room for awhile - he played with the ac and it still didn't work. Shocking. He refilled the bucket of ice, apologized for the inconvenience and expressed again there was nothing he could do. The kicker was that the hallway was ice cold -- so we tried to fan the cold air into our room. After the heat and the constant visitors, it took us until about 4:30 to get our son back to sleep. We slept on and off until about 8:30 with one fan near the crib and the other on top of the luggage stand aimed toward the bed.

Once our rough night was over, we received coupons under our door for the free night and free breakfast. At the bottom of the free night's stay coupon, there was a statement that the stay could not happen on a football weekend! After the night we had, it was ridiculous to have any limitation on a free night...especially when we just wanted our $160 back. When my husband brought this up to the front desk manager, he agreed it was ridiculous and instantly crossed out the exclusion.

One other thing -- as I was heading downstairs in the morning, I noticed another room being cleaned - it was a king suite with a separate office/sitting area. This was the type of room I reserved and NOT what we had received (let alone the ac debacle). I had just figured they exaggerated on the Hilton Website (I travel a lot and have seen that happen) but lo and behold, we did not even receive the room we had booked.

This was our first overnight hotel stay with our newborn and disappointing in every way - from the wait for the room to the unacceptable (and somewhat unsafe for an infant) conditions to the inability to simply be refunded our room charge. As new parents, we are used to little sleep but not happy that we had to pay for it! We do have to say the valet guy (Jeff, John?) was very helpful and sympathetic to our situation the next day..although there wasn't much he could do.

Overall, because we are nice people and were honestly too exhausted to fight, the hotel seemed to underestimate how unacceptable our conditions were. Just giving free drink coupons and a future stay do not always make people happy...they really shoud have moved us to another hotel for our safety and comfort. It's still unclear why they couldn't refund our money if we used the Hilton site to book.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank KLPChicago
DavidBuss, General Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, 10 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid comments with us. We want to offer our sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations as we have in the past. You are valued as our guest, and we will be contacting you privately to discuss restitution for your experiences. We hope for an opportunity to regain your trust in the near future. Sincerely, Bob Caston, General Manager
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Location Location Location!!! This hotel has that and more!!!

It is connected to the Convention Center...yes you talk the walkway over and you never have to go outside...great in both the summer and winter months.
You also have to walk through the bar too...so pick up a beer on the way over.

The rooms were really nice too...the bed was extremely comfortable and we had HBO...I like HBO but Entourage was not on...the final season!!! I also had an amazing view of the capital building too.

The Club on the top floor was amazing...I got to start my morning every day up here enjoying a nice breakfast. One side had a view of the lake and the other side of downtown Madison.

The parking was a little expensive...for the price I paid for my room it really should have been included in the price. I always hate seeing those extra charges.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

Been here for 6 weeks and keep coming back. Hotel is very nice with great chop house in lobby. Backs up to Monona Lake and bike path as well. Only 2 block walk to Capital and surrounded by restaurants and bars. I also stayed at Hyatt Place and Double Tree and this is best hotel by far. Hotel offers great lake view from rooms. The staff and restaurant servers are all very friendly and helpful. Would def recommend.