“Hilton Honors or Horrors?”

Hilton Madison Monona Terrace
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Incompetent Staff, Poor Service. As an executive with a large telecommunication firm I will review this internally as well to ensure Hilton does not keep our account.

Customer service starts with setting expectations, then delivering. If you make a mistake, then it's all about how you recover. The staff did none of these well at all. Including the management who is neither qualified nor empowered to do the right thing.

My reservation was mishandled, promises made by the staff that then were not kept, even after being acknowledged.

The rooms are not worth the rate, the amenities are minimal. The Hilton rests that they have a good location for downtown. Then they fall off every other category because of a lack of effort.

If you need downtown locations, I encourage you to try the Concourse Hotel.

I won't spend money at a Hilton again. Hilton Honors should be renamed Hilton Horrors.

Room Tip: Try the Concourse instead. Good location, better service....
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Jackson H
DavidBuss, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. I’m sorry we were unable to accommodate you when your trip needed to be extended. As we are in a prime location in downtown Madison, our availability is constantly changing, and we often sell out very quickly. Had the request to extend the reservation been made upon check-in, we would certainly have done so at that time. It is never our policy to hold aside rooms for any reason, however. I do apologize that when an attempt was made to extend the reservation several days later, we were completely sold out and unable to honor that request. We do strive to accommodate 100% of our guests, but sellout situations frequently occur at our property. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Upon arrival, it took forever to get checked into the hotel. Our room was nice as we had gotten the king size bed with whirlpool. Upon draining the whirlpool bath, the drain made a horrible and extremely loud noise and didn't want to drain properly unless I used one of the soap dishes to hold the plunger portion open. Was quite annoying especially when we were trying to go to sleep & then had to wait as it was that loud. Also, just after 9am, housekeeping came knocking on our door, and when we didn't get to the door right away, proceeded to help themselves to walk in. A co-worker had also had this exact same experience in her room (we were here for our company Holiday Party). If my husband hadn't hollered out "what do you want", she would have wallked all the way in!!. I've never had a hotel do this before especially when check out isn't until noon!! You would think that the front desk would tell housekeeping what rooms have checked out in order to know which ones to clean! This was VERY unorganized and to me quite rude, to say the least.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Whenever in Madison, I frequent the Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, most recent stay being 1/24/12. As always, I had another wonderful experience beginning with the pleasant staff welcome to the ease of check-in. The underground parking is also a plus keeping my vehical free of the outdoor weather elements. My room was wonderfully clean, quiet and spacious with an awesome view of the state Capital building dome. East room views afford a beautiful view of Lake Monona...you just can't go wrong relaxing to either view. I'm pretty particular when it comes to bed and pillow comfort and by all means the Hilton met my need with total comfort and a great night's sleep. And this hotel knows how to put out a breakfast spread; excellent offerings to energize my morning. Kudo's to the hotel team at the Hilton, they continue to impress and know what "top notch" guest service is all about.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BPD2012
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I arrived rather late after a long flight and was warmly welcomed. The room and the service exceeded my expectations as I was attending a meeting in the Monona Terrace.

Go visit the FLW sites nearby at the University of Wisconsin, the conference center, etc.

I lost a bracelet in the hotel and they made great efforts to locate it and return it to me.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank birdieca
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Our room overlooked Monona Lake. We turned our chairs around and watched the snow coming down. The staff was extremely helpful and always with a smile. If you don't mind walking, the location is fabulous.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sue2louise
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed at the Hilton in January and the room and view were great. The room was large, clean and comfortable. The fitness room has some great equipment.

Room Tip: I would reccomend a city view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Jeremy W
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This hotel is a great hotel in an excellent location. Parking is easy for a downtown hotel, and relatively reasonably priced at $13/night. It seems the view is good, no matter where in the hotel you are. Either you have a great view of the lake and Monona Terrace or you can see the capital building and downtown.

The public areas are very nice and well appointed. I enjoyed the fitness center and pool. The fitness center is well appointed with weight equipment, 3 treadmills, 2 stair steppers and a bike.

In the lobby, there were some decoration boards for an upcoming room renovation. It looks like they will be doing all new bedding, carpet, wall paper and furniture. It looks like it will be very nice.

The hotel is very clean. Housekeeping did a nice job refreshing the rooms during my stay, making sure everything was clean and coffee & towels were refreshed. The furnishings are very comfortable, including the beds and pillows. The toiletries are high quality and smell pleasant.

This is a great option for Madison. Location, views and service cannot be beat.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BuckyBadger123
DavidBuss, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that the staff took such good care of you and you found the hotel parking, views, fitness center and pool to your liking. Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager