“For a Hilton, not up to par”

Hilton Madison Monona Terrace
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was the worst Hilton I have ever stayed at....I hope it was just a "bad weekend". The rooms need better up-keep. Wallpaper peeling and grouting issues, actual cobwebs on the lamp shades...bad form. The hotel restaurant service was extremely slow with what appeared to be a nice breakfast buffet, but it was in a busy "walk thru" area (people walking through the restaurant to get out on the terrace to the lake). We watched many people walk right past the buffet, including a dog, two bicyclists, and one boy who was walking by peeked under the lid at the food. I decided to order from the menu after that. I guess it is a "pet friendly" hotel, so expect barking dogs across the hall! Our four legged neighbor barked a good part of the afternoon. A wonderfully convenient location right off the capitol mall, but don't expect Hilton quality. Having said that, the front desk staff was wonderful and very helpful. The shuttle service was excellent. Probably would not make a return visit.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Michael W, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our engineering team is currently working through a preventative maintenance program that will address the wallpaper and grouting issues you encountered during your stay. Our breakfast restaurant is located near the walkway to the Monona Terrace which does get a lot of use by our guests. Even though the area is high traffic I can ensure you that our buffet is safe. I hope you give us another chance on your next stay in Madison.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My third time staying here and finally got a room with a view of Lake Monona.....rooms with a view of the State Capitol are certainly not bad, but I prefer the water view. Friendly, helpful staff....quick check-in, which I needed in order to quickly shower and change clothes and get next door to the Madison Club for a dinner for our group. Excellent room, plentiful supply of "over-sized" towels. Invoice under my door when I got up the next morning, so checking out was a breeze. My only glitch was that I haven't yet figured out how to "call" only an elevator that goes all the way to the parking garage levels, instead of getting one that "ends" at Lobby level, necessitating a "transfer" to another elevator to get to the garage levels.

Room Tip: I prefer a room with a view of the lake, but some may prefer the downtown view with the State Capito...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the review! One of the best features of our hotel is that all rooms have a view of either Lake Monona or the Capitol. In order to expedite guests reaching the lobby 1 of our elevators does not go below the lobby to the parking garage, all of our other elevators reach the parking garage from any floor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My small children and I stayed here for a one night stay to visit some friends. We were pleased with our room. We had a great view of the capitol. We enjoyed the pool, and they were nice enough to give us a later than usual check out. When we return to Madison we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Celeste B

Thank you for comment! I am glad that we could accommodate a late checkout and that you enjoyed the view from your room. I am looking forward to having you as our guest during your next trip to Madison!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here for a relative's wedding for which there had been a block of rooms reserved. Comfortable bar (good drinks, snacks and a quiet place to play cribbage), comfortable lobby, pleasant, clean rooms (although the bath could use some regrouting), lovely function room and great central location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Michael W, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for the review! Based on your feedback we have had our maintenance team repair the grout in your guest room. I am glad that you enjoyed your experience and I hope to have you as our guest again.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location, and the view from my room was fabulous, but they are VERY understaffed and it makes for long wait times (checking in/out, lounge service/seating and wait times for food, etc.). To top it off when we retrieved the car from the valet there was an empty water bottle full of used tobacco pouches. GROSS. Maybe it was just bad timing...

Room Tip: Didn't eat breakfast there because we couldn't get seated. I think the waiters were also th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the feedback about your stay. I am sorry that you experienced long wait times during your stay. One of our primary responsibilities is ensuring that we have enough of our staff available to take care of our guests. I have reviewed your feedback with our management team and I can assure you that we are all focused on ensuring each of our guests have an exceptional stay. Should you want to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact me at michaelweaver@hiltonmadison.com.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We walked into our first room and were overwhelmed by the smell of B.O. turned the site on hoping the stench would fade but a few hours later it is still there. Asked nicely for a new room- air conditioner didn't work. Engineering came and "fixed" it, an hour later it was still 76 in our room. Called down and asked for a room that we can just be comfortable in and got another room. This room also had a strange odor to it but by this time we were so sick of moving. I've stayed at a lot of hotels and never had to ask to switch rooms. I don't think they care to much about if we're happy or not because we booked through priceline at a super affordable rate. I'd still prefer to be treated like a guest. Only positive for this hotel is the view. Capital building is awesome at night!! Would not recommend.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

I am very sorry that you encountered issues with your room during your stay. I can assure you that we value all of our guests regardless of how they book their reservation. If you would like to discuss you experiences with me directly please email me at michaelweaver@hiltonmadison.com.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

the hotel is in a great location to view the lake and walk around the capital. we purchased the breakfast package and it was a joke. they ran out of bread and pastries and all they had was white bread. before we finished they did find some bagels and they delivered them to our table; burnt. unfortunately, the people at check out forgot to ask us if we had any problems and enjoyed our stay. poor ending to an overpriced stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your negative experience with breakfast. I have reviewed this review with our Executive Chef and we have taken steps to correct what happened during your stay. I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.