“Very clean and quiet”

Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Milwaukee, WI, United States
“Very clean and quiet”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Very nice hotel overlloking Lake Monona. The room we had was clean and quiet with a great view of the lake. I would recommend you just pay the extra $4 for valet parking. The self parking spots are limited.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Michael W, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for the review! Our lake view rooms offer exceptional views of Lake Monona and the surrounding area. We have recently added telescopes to some of our lake view rooms to further enhance our guests ability to enjoy the view. I am glad that you got to enjoy the view during your stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Greek first
chicago
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I was in Madison last week, we stopped at the hilton just to have a drink at the bar. The hotel was beautiful and the views are spectacular. The bartender his name is Clayton he was super nice, very friendly. Clay gave us a lot of Information on what to do while visiting Madison. We stayed at the hilton Garden Inn Middleton because your property did not have the TMTP rate :( Available.

But Clayton was awesome!!! we had a great time talking to him at the bar. Thanks Clayton again for everything!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review! Clayton is a great Team Member and I look forward to sharing your comment with him. Hopefully you get to stay with us next time you are in Madison!
Chicago
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We are regular summer visitors to Madison. There's so much to do. It's a beautiful and clean city. The people are friendly, and it's only about a 2.5 hour drive for us. This time we stayed at this property and were happy, overall.

Usually, we stay at the Sheraton. We are accustomed to the rooms, the location, as well as Club Level.

We LOVE the location of the Hilton. It is attached to Monona Terrace, a complex overlooking the lake. It is a short walk to the Capitol building.

This hotel was built more recently than the Sheraton but seems to have aged a bit faster. The rooms feel smaller, the showers not as luxurious, and there is no Club Level. The pool is smaller, as is the workout room. My major negative was the slamming room doors. They do not quietly close. This is a disturbing peeve of mine.

I don't know. Perhaps the Sheraton tries harder because it is a 4 minute drive from the Capitol Square.

We did not eat in the Capitol Grill (attached restaurant), we did use the valet parking ($17) and loved it!

We were pleased with our stay at the Monona Terrace Hilton, but if I had my druthers, I would choose Club Level at the Sheraton.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We do have a club level and dedicated club lounge, our club lounge is actually the only space in Madison with views of both Lake Monona and the Capitol. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and our valet parking service, I hope to have you as our guest on your next trip to Madison.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Despite the Tornado warning and street sirens one evening that woke everyone in the hotel up at midnight, I had a great stay here. The hotel restaurants (both of them) were great and the staff very friendly. I even made a point of saying good bye to them personally when I left, I had such a lovely time. All my needs where taken care of and I really felt at home here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the review! I am very happy that despite the late night Tornado warning you were able to enjoy your stay!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was the worst Hilton I have ever stayed at....I hope it was just a "bad weekend". The rooms need better up-keep. Wallpaper peeling and grouting issues, actual cobwebs on the lamp shades...bad form. The hotel restaurant service was extremely slow with what appeared to be a nice breakfast buffet, but it was in a busy "walk thru" area (people walking through the restaurant to get out on the terrace to the lake). We watched many people walk right past the buffet, including a dog, two bicyclists, and one boy who was walking by peeked under the lid at the food. I decided to order from the menu after that. I guess it is a "pet friendly" hotel, so expect barking dogs across the hall! Our four legged neighbor barked a good part of the afternoon. A wonderfully convenient location right off the capitol mall, but don't expect Hilton quality. Having said that, the front desk staff was wonderful and very helpful. The shuttle service was excellent. Probably would not make a return visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our engineering team is currently working through a preventative maintenance program that will address the wallpaper and grouting issues you encountered during your stay. Our breakfast restaurant is located near the walkway to the Monona Terrace which does get a lot of use by our guests. Even though the area is high traffic I can ensure you that our buffet is safe. I hope you give us another chance on your next stay in Madison.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My third time staying here and finally got a room with a view of Lake Monona.....rooms with a view of the State Capitol are certainly not bad, but I prefer the water view. Friendly, helpful staff....quick check-in, which I needed in order to quickly shower and change clothes and get next door to the Madison Club for a dinner for our group. Excellent room, plentiful supply of "over-sized" towels. Invoice under my door when I got up the next morning, so checking out was a breeze. My only glitch was that I haven't yet figured out how to "call" only an elevator that goes all the way to the parking garage levels, instead of getting one that "ends" at Lobby level, necessitating a "transfer" to another elevator to get to the garage levels.

Room Tip: I prefer a room with a view of the lake, but some may prefer the downtown view with the State Capito...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the review! One of the best features of our hotel is that all rooms have a view of either Lake Monona or the Capitol. In order to expedite guests reaching the lobby 1 of our elevators does not go below the lobby to the parking garage, all of our other elevators reach the parking garage from any floor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again!
Washington, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My small children and I stayed here for a one night stay to visit some friends. We were pleased with our room. We had a great view of the capitol. We enjoyed the pool, and they were nice enough to give us a later than usual check out. When we return to Madison we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Celeste B
Thank you for comment! I am glad that we could accommodate a late checkout and that you enjoyed the view from your room. I am looking forward to having you as our guest during your next trip to Madison!