“A little old, but really nice”

Clarion Suites at the Alliant Energy Center
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It could be a little more modernized, but at least it did have flat screens tv. We got the suite, so it was a nice 1 bedroom, with a living room, and small kitchenette area. It was nice and within walking distance of the Alliant Energy Center. Overall, it's a little old, but really nice for the price.

Room Tip: Get the suite
1  Thank ldfreeman

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Tonight is actually my first night at this hotel over three day stay. From the time I walked in I was greeted with smiles and treats at the front desk. We were having horrible storms at the time and they wanted to make sure I was okay and reminded me of the free cocktail reception if I need a drink. It's amazing how quickly I received great service! I am super excited to stay here another three night and can't wait to stay here again. It's great how each and every one of them smile and ask if they can help you with anything. More hotels could definitely take after them! My room is very spacious and very clean as well. I will definitely stay here again!

1  Thank Lindsay P
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was looking for a hotel near Fitchburg, WI which is near Madison. Most of the hotels listed were in Madison and are very expensive. This hotel was actually the closest to where I was going to be and looked very affordable in comparison. What a good choice! The people are friendly and helpful, the rooms are suites and mine had a separate bedroom. There was a kitchenette, couch, coffee table, decent TV, separate HVAC for each room and a decent work desk and chair. The rooms were clean and comfy too. I suppose this reads like a commercial but this is where I'm coming back to when I have to stay in the area again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We took a trip to Madison and decided at the last minute to stay overnight. We checked online and called a few places and initially we were going to stay at the Sheraton but they would not give us the online price so practically across the street we saw this hotel and walked in to check their rates. We were able to get cheaper rates online and booked it.
The lobby was pretty insignificant but there service was excellent.
They have a social hour which was nice, very good breakfast and a decent pool for the kids.
The rooms was spacious but a little outdated yet very clean.
The showers need more water pressure.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Manumanu T
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I just spent a long weekend here, and I have to say I was very happy. I’ll start with the best thing about the hotel – the customer service. I’m a stickler for good customer service. It’s hard to find these days, and it matters to me. Chris was at the front desk when we arrived. He was very professional, asked if we’d stayed there before, and when I said I hadn’t, provided a brief description of the hotel amenities and where to find everything. The breakfast was plentiful, and I appreciated the detail put into the presentation (cheese and salsa available for the eggs and strawberry topping – with real strawberries - and whipped cream for the waffles as examples). Six days a week, there are afternoon socials, where they offer free beer or wine and light snacks. Additionally, there are warm cookies at the front desk in the late afternoon. All this is included. The pool was clean, as were all the other common areas. The room was spacious, and I liked having a sink in the room, in addition to the refrigerator and microwave. Housekeeping also met all of our requests in a timely manner (we only had one or two). Location, from a standpoint of convenience, was good. You can pretty much get anywhere in Madison in 20 minutes or less. Location, in terms of having anything within walking distance, is not great. I wouldn’t take a walk outside near the hotel (though if you drive two minutes, you can park at Olin park and walk along the lake). The only true negative I can come up with is that the rooms are a little dated. I meant to take photos and then forgot, but some examples are the bottom of the bathtub (it was torn up a bit, no longer smooth), the sofa (when we took the cushions off to pull out the sleeper sofa, there was a gash in the fabric on the back of the sofa), the wall behind the bed by one of the nightstands (the paint was textured and there was a big area that was all black – it looked like someone had tried to clean it off and failed, so they just left it), and the sliding doors on the closet (difficult to close, not entirely on their track, I think). But the beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The good far outweighed the bad and I’d stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
ClarionMadison, General Manager at Clarion Suites at the Alliant Energy Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Jessica B.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. It is wonderful to have such detailed feedback. I have shared this with my staff. It is truly appreciated when we have good things to share. I will also address your concerns with our Housekeeping and Maintenance staffs. Thank you for bringing them to our attention.
We hope that you will return again.
G. Niesl

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed here on a Sunday night. When I booked the hotel, it was described as being downtown. It is not a few blocks a way from the Capitol as I imagined. The location is not good if you want to walk to restaurants, shops, attractions, etc. The room was nice. The toiletries could be better. Breakfast was full of processed food. There were two free bottles of water in the room which was a nice touch.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ScenicSights
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hotel had some very nice attributes and some other not so great. If attending something at the Alliant Center, the location is great. It's also an easy drive to downtown Madison. Upon arriving, the outside of the hotel is a little off-putting. It looks more like an industrial building than hotel. The people at the front desk were helpful and check-in went smoothly. Our room was large and well decorated and the bathroom was nice. The biggest negative in the room was the bed. My husband and I spent much of the night struggling to stop rolling into each other in the center of the bed! A new mattress would be a great help. An evening reception isn't a must-have and I guess the one here was better than nothing--though that's a close call. We were made aware of the reception upon check-in and told it was free wine, beer and pop and included a light snack. "Light snack" was an understatement. I was expecting maybe some crackers and famous Wisconsin cheese. It was actually potato chips, pretzels and one dip. Like I said, maybe better than nothing. The breakfast, included in the room rate was adequate--cereal, scrambled eggs, French toast sticks, sausage, etc. Silly as it may seem, it would have seemed much nicer on something other than paper plates and plastic forks. Having said the above, it was okay and, again, you can't beat the location if you're going to the Alliant Center.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple