“Good stay”
Review of Hotel Ruby Marie

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madison
Hotel Ruby Marie
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Santa Rosa, California
“Good stay”
Reviewed 16 June 2009

This place was great, very convienent location and i loved the fact it had its own bar. Breakfast in the morning was good, nice simple stuff complimentary but the option to order other things if you want. The decor wasn't to my personal taste, but was clean and comfortable and functional.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AJ41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Tennessee
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We decided to check out early after one night and no one was at the desk to check us out. The clerk was not coming in until after 9:00am that day and the only person who could refund our room charges on our credit card (we paid up front for three nights) would not be in until later in the day. We had an 8:00am appointment and had to leave a note with the person running the bakery. It was very difficult to coordinate checkout and reversal of credit card charges via phone. Nice hotel for someone who plans to party late but not a good choice for someone who wants to turn in early and get some sleep.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cyrstal
Green Bay
Reviewed 13 February 2009

I stayed at the Ruby Marie with my wife in Dec 08, we traveled to Madison for a romantic weekend and took in the sights as well as a Badger Hockey Game. I was a little concerned wether or not the hotel was going to be "nice" enough but I was VERY surprised when we checked in. The Ruby Marie is truly an gem in Madison, the pictures of the rooms online do not do it justice.
I was nervous because I living in Madison for several years and never heard a thinkgabout it.

There are bars in the area but we were not woken up by any bar patrons and have nothing but good things to say about our stay. It is probably true that the walls are thin, but you have to remember it is a beautifully restored old building, so that adds to the charm. The desk is not staffed all the time but we never had a need to use it. If you are a needy person that always has an issue or needs an extra pillow this may not be the place for you, otherwise it is a great place to stay in Madison.

• Liked — Rooms were great
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Banker2
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Madison is a drinking town. That said, the Ruby Marie is either next to or above three popular local watering holes. The hotel itself is lovely: remodeled to evoke VIctorian style, with high-tank toilets with pull chains and wispy flowered curtains and bedspreads. It is an old style hotel, so although I slept soundly through the night, it is entirely possible that a drunk, noisy person could wake you up if they are being noisy in the hallway. In fact, we encountered a Madison couple who had booked a room there so they could stagger upstairs after a night of heavy drinking. (hey! at least they're being safe) While standing in the hall, I heard a couple's rather vocal lovemaking through their door. Caveat emptor.

Some rooms have a lake view. The beds are comfortable. The front desk is not staffed at all times, which is why I am only giving four dots. We had absolutely no problems, but there is definitely potential for unhappiness here.

• Liked — gorgeous rooms, location, easy access to bars
  • Disliked — poor soundproofing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mocakes
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed 2 September 2008

What a bargain, right in the middle of Madison! The hotel has a discounted "corporate rate", which only requires you to show a business card at check-in. You also get free drinks and snacks at happy hour at the cozy bar downstairs and a fairly decent breakfast at the bakery next door. Our room was spacious and clean, and the fridge contained two free beers, two bottles of water, and real cream for the good coffee that was also provided. The front desk clerk was very nice, and the place has character missing in most newer hotels. All these nice touches contributed to a very comfortable stay! I highly recommend the Ruby Marie!

• Liked — The location and all the free microbrews
  • Disliked — The breakfast was less than I expected
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Archaeosteph
Portland OR
Reviewed 21 August 2008

My cousin recommended the Hotel Ruby Marie to us and what a wonderful experience. This historic railroad hotel has been lovingly restored. We had a generous room with a sitting area. The bed was excellent with very comfortable bedding. The tile bathroom had an extra-long tub with a whirlpool - an unexpected surprise. We enjoyed the complimentary happy hour in the bar and the cheerful coffee and breakfast in the bakery in the morning. Everyone was friendly and helpful. This is a quirky, one of a kind place and I'd love to go back.

• Liked — very unique, one of a kind place
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pdxtraveller53
South Haven
Reviewed 21 May 2008

The Hotel Ruby Marie is a lovely hotel. The rooms where clean, comfortable and charming with an old world charm. I must admitt after reading the reviews I was a bit nervous. Smoking is not allowed in the restaurants for almost 5 years. I was on the second floor above but heard very little noise and slept like a baby. There is a train on the other side of the hotel but I did not hear it. I live near a train in Illinois- Some rooms have a view of the water and there is a lovely walk and jogging area. Some of our group went to read out in the sun on the path acc. It is about 4 blocks to the capital and it was a nice walk-I am used to San Francisco and love the energy of a city. The breakfast was huge-anything off the menu and delicious. My husband had eggs and a huge trout one morning. We all had a great weekend and just loved this cute diamond in the rough.

• Liked — Location convience and room was adorable and clean.
  • Disliked — I wish I could stay another night