“Charming--but not comfortable.”

Ranked #34 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Columbus, Ohio
“Charming--but not comfortable.”
Reviewed 9 November 2009

This hotel is, indeed, darling. The rooms are beautifully restored, and decorated in a charming Victorian style. The bathrooms are new, clean, and very nice. The problem was that I was not very comfortable there. My sister and her husband had a room with two double beds that was quite nice, and I can't speak to their comfort, but in my room, with a queen bed, I found that there was no way to read comfortably in bed without the light from the high wall sconces hitting me right in the eyes. Additionally, as many have noted, the hotel surrounds a courtyard where people make noise all evening. You can hear the talking and laughing as though they were right in the room with you. We stayed there one weeknight, and the noise stopped before 11 pm, but frankly, I didn't appreciate it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank abcdxyz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Minnesota
Reviewed 30 October 2009

This is a super charming hotel. The restored vintage vibe is done very well. It's super clean, quiet, and comfortable. Close to everything in downtown Madison. I've stayed twice now when in town for music concerts and look forward to another opportunity to stay there. Oh, and the complimentary breakfast in the Lakeview cafe was waaaay better than any chain hotel's.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We were in Wisconsin visiting family, and spent one night at a big chain hotel, 2 nights in a Victorian-era bed and breakfast 6 hours north of Madison, and stayed at the Ruby Marie after the 6-hour drive back to Madison as a "stopover" before the plane trip home to New Jersey. My brother, who lives in town, made the arrangements, and I think he got us the best room in the house - a huge corner suite with a turret, king-sized bed, enormous jacuzzi, gas fireplace, and tiny kitchenette - much more than we were expecting!

The bed was the most comfortable we have slept in in a long time (even more comfortable than our own bed), our daugther's room was smaller but was of nice quality, and she could get online which pleased her greatly. It was awesome to wake up to the smell of fresh-baked goods (and bacon!) wafting up from the bakery attached to the hotel.

We did not take advantage of the free drinks in the bar downstairs, because we were too tired from travelling, but the Ruby Marie is more of a bed & breakfast than a hotel, and like most B&Bs, is not staffed 24/7 - so we worked around that.

Since our outbound flight wasn't until late afternoon, the hotel let us check out late. We can't wait to visit my brother so we can stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 21 August 2009

After a trip of white water rafting in the upper peninsula, we reserved a jacuzzi suite online, to rest our tired bones. We called the hotel to let them know that we would be checking in late ( because of the 4 hr drive), and they told us that was fine, to check in with the bartender-THAT should have been my first clue...

We check in, realize that we are in the wrong room, go back to the bartender- who has to call the manager who is obviously at home. The manager doesn't speak to me, doesn't even consider coming back to the hotel to fix this problem. The bartender, (who is the only one trying to be helpful while tending to his bar customers), finds a suite which is unoccupied and tries to accommodate us but does not have the master key to let us in the suite. We decide to leave the hotel because we were tired, hungry , and fed up with ridiculousness and incompetence of the entire situation. The bartender asked me to leave my number for the manager, which I did, and who NEVER even called to apologize.

Originally, we had made the reservation for Ruby Marie because it seemed charming and quaint, instead of the Governor's Club Madison Concourse. We were so wrong! After this horrifying experience, and after taking a look around at the hotel itself (dusty, outdated, dingy environment), we know better. There are so many other better places to stay in Madison, who know what service is about. Take a look at the other 17 places before this one, before making a reservation here

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MQadeer
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 16 June 2009

This place was great, very convienent location and i loved the fact it had its own bar. Breakfast in the morning was good, nice simple stuff complimentary but the option to order other things if you want. The decor wasn't to my personal taste, but was clean and comfortable and functional.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AJ41
Tennessee
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We decided to check out early after one night and no one was at the desk to check us out. The clerk was not coming in until after 9:00am that day and the only person who could refund our room charges on our credit card (we paid up front for three nights) would not be in until later in the day. We had an 8:00am appointment and had to leave a note with the person running the bakery. It was very difficult to coordinate checkout and reversal of credit card charges via phone. Nice hotel for someone who plans to party late but not a good choice for someone who wants to turn in early and get some sleep.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cyrstal
Green Bay
Reviewed 13 February 2009

I stayed at the Ruby Marie with my wife in Dec 08, we traveled to Madison for a romantic weekend and took in the sights as well as a Badger Hockey Game. I was a little concerned wether or not the hotel was going to be "nice" enough but I was VERY surprised when we checked in. The Ruby Marie is truly an gem in Madison, the pictures of the rooms online do not do it justice.
I was nervous because I living in Madison for several years and never heard a thinkgabout it.

There are bars in the area but we were not woken up by any bar patrons and have nothing but good things to say about our stay. It is probably true that the walls are thin, but you have to remember it is a beautifully restored old building, so that adds to the charm. The desk is not staffed all the time but we never had a need to use it. If you are a needy person that always has an issue or needs an extra pillow this may not be the place for you, otherwise it is a great place to stay in Madison.

• Liked — Rooms were great
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Banker2