“Cleaning lacks attention to details”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Madison American Center
Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Boston, Massachusetts
“Cleaning lacks attention to details”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn in Madison for four nights in mid-June 2013 while visiting family in the area. I've stayed once before at this hotel and had a good experience (a few years ago). This trip, I was somewhat disappointed. While overall the room looks nice, and is certainly spacious, when you look closely there is a definite lack of attention to cleanliness details, especially in the tub/shower area. When I arrived, I found someone else's hair in the tub (see photo - I have long blond hair; the hair I found was short and dark.) I cleaned the hair out of the tub myself. Perhaps I should have called the front desk at that point, but it was late (after 10 pm) and I wanted to go to sleep. The next morning when I looked at the shower curtain, it had some stains on it (including a reddish stain - see photo) and all along the lower part of the curtain was a yellowish stain (not by design – probably a water-line stain from the curtain hanging inside the tub during others' showers). I think if a hotel is going to have the kind of tub/shower that requires a shower curtain, as opposed to a shower door, or, even better, a walk-in shower with no door, they should be obsessive about making sure the shower curtain is either brand new for each new guest or at least appears brand new.
When I left for the day, I asked the front desk clerk to please replace the shower curtain with a new one, which the very nice clerk said they would do. However, when I returned later that day (around 5 pm) the shower curtain had not been changed (same red stain in the same place). I called the front desk and they immediately sent someone up to change the curtain. However, the curtain they brought was not new; it was a used one that had apparently been washed but had similar stains. I was surprised and disappointed, as I know this hotel has the top spot on Trip Advisor for hotels in Madison. Perhaps I'm particularly picky about cleanliness, but I think it’s unacceptable for a guest to find someone else’s hair in the tub or stains on the shower curtain.
Another thing I noticed the night I arrived was that the inside of the refrigerator had not been cleaned properly; it had some spilled, dried red stuff on the shelf inside the door, which I cleaned myself.
Perhaps the hotel management will say that I should have brought all of this to their attention, but when I saw that my request for a new / unstained shower curtain had failed, I didn't want to spend any more time dealing with these issues.
The only other annoyance was that when the air conditioner is running, the fan blows the window drapes out into the room. During the day this isn’t a problem, as you would normally have the drapes open anyway (and out of the way of the blowing a/c fan). However, at night with the drapes closed, the billowing drapes allow outside street light in, as well as letting in the early morning sun.
On the positive side: the hotel gave me a room in the exact location I had requested; the rest of the room was clean; the room was a good size and the bed was comfortable; and it was nice to have a sitting area in the room (a small upholstered sofa and chair and a coffee table). Also, every staff person I spoke to was very friendly and welcoming, and offered good suggestions on places to eat and visit in the area. Also, as a single female, I felt safe staying alone at this hotel.
I did not eat breakfast at the hotel so I cannot comment on that.
All in all, not a bad experience, but I hope that if I return in the future I will find a spotless bathroom and fridge.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

The hotel is different to get to but gps leads you in fine. The evening desk staff was helpful and the rooms are clean and modern. Our room stunk like smoke but the window opened. The walls are paper thin and the neighbors tv kept us up. Otherwise, clean rooms, great wifi, lots of choices for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cou M
Newton, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

Stayed there for two nights during a weekend trip in June to Madison. The room was very clean and well appointed. The bath was nicely renovated and cleaned. The bed was very comfortable. Did not spend too much time at the hotel other than sleeping showering, and getting breakfast. The breakfast buffet was not much to write home about. Standard toast and bagel, cereal, milk, coffee, waffle maker, etc. The fresh fruit plate was out of a can and disgusting. I threw it out. All the utensils and dishes are plastic but there is no recycling bin in the dining hall. You throw everything out with the trash. Not very environmentally friendly. The only recycling bin I found in the hotel was well hidden and out of view next to the ice machine on the 2nd floor. No recycling bins in any high traffic areas. In the middle of breakfast a couple showed up with their dog in the dining hall. That's when I found out this hotel is "pet friendly". 20 minutes later someone from the desk informed the couple that "Dogs are not welcome at the dining hall." I guess pets are allowed in any rooms, which means their carpets and bed spreads most likely have pet urine and feces on them. Reason enough not to revisit this place. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. They have a small pool and hot tub as well as an exercise room. Plenty of free parking on site.

Room Tip: If you are not a pet owner, ask if they have any rooms where pets have never stayed.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank reza5240
San Diego, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Our La Quinta stay in Madison was very relaxing. The hotel is only 7 miles from the Capitol and it is at has good access straight access to downtown and the freeways to the Wisconsin Dells, and other places. The rooms were very quiet, clean, and the morning breakfast was a good start of our day. We will definitely stay here again next time we visit Madison.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family