“So, so, but quiet. Average or less for its class.”

Wyndham Garden Madison Fitchburg
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 27 June 2012

First of all, this place is on the Southern border of Madison in an area called Fitchburg. The front desk was courteous and efficient on my check-in, but lost my appreciation later. I told them my room smelled like cigar smoke, despite the hotel being non-smoking. The clerk told me he would send up a guy right away with a new room and key card. Thirty minutes and another phone call later, the guy who barely spoke English shows up. I had to switch from the third floor to the first. The new room smelled like it had just been sprayed with an air freshener. Really, how naive do they think their guests are? And do they really think someone who sensed an undesirable odor in one is going to want to smell the strong scent of air freshener?
I also gave their restaurant a try. A request for medium came out well done. A fast food place would have been better. The bar looked very nice and cozy, wood trimmed and dim. The restaurant was a bit noisy despite it being sparsely filled. The staff was very novice.
The spartan rooms were otherwise fairly standard, relatively clean, quiet and not too out of date, except for the CRT style TV from two decades ago. Internet was an unsecured free wifi. Parking is free, as it should be for a suburban hotel. There is a free continental breakfast area, parlor, pool and exercise room. No refrigerator or microwave. The AC is wall thermostat controlled and of reasonable loudness, though not as quiet as central air.

Room Tip: If you like quiet ask for the third or fourth floor away from elevators, pool, ice & vending mac...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed here for a wedding in the area, and were disappointed that the hotel wasn't able to put all guests from the wedding in a block of rooms near one another. Rooms were spread out all over the entire hotel - some near the conference center and others in the main building. We were given a room with no air conditioning (the outdoor temperature was 90 degrees). We discovered there was no air conditioning in the hallway either because rennovations had resulted in a large, gaping hole to the outside in the wall right outside our room where a window air conditioner had been. After asking to switch rooms, we were put in a much cooler, nicer room. The elevators were painfully slow, and stairs are not conveniently located as an alternative to waiting for the elevator. The complementary breakfast was good and a nice surprise.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is our go-to place when we are staying in Madison and/or visiting UW. Firstly, it has a nice location. While it might be a little while from downtown, it is close the the main highway (but is still quiet). It's right off Fish Hatchery, a straight shot to UW. It is in a safe neighborhood. It's also right next to the Great Dane brewpub and some other small commercial plazas. The continental breakfast is nothing spectacular, but it's very convenient and I appreciate the hot food they provide like eggs, bacon, etc. It's reasonably priced, and the building is rather new and seems well maintained. The rooms are just fine, nothing fancy, but they serve their purpose. I know I can count on this hotel for a pleasant stay while I am visiting Madison.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Some things made this stay not so hot. The heater/ac unit in our room #210 was loud and not very efficient. We could only seem to run it on fan to keep the noise down. We left it running on cool when we left the room hoping to return to a cool one. The shower head in the bathroom was not very stable. It had a mind of its own and wanted to point to the shower curtain and not the tub. There was a big pile of pool towels that was left in the hallway all night next to the room of our travel mates. And speaking of the pool, the hot tub was not working. Our room keys did not work the last full day we were there. We had to go down to the desk to get them activated. No apology or even a question as to who we were so they could check their records. I smell a possible scam in the making. My mom forgot a shower cap and asked for one at the front desk. They were out but the gentleman said he would have housekeeping get one for her the next morning. Well I had to run to the Copps store across the street to get one for her. So as you can see, alot of little things wrong that added up to a not so nice stay.

Room Tip: Check the room heater/ac unit first to make sure it is quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I normally stayed at the Holiday Inn on the west side of Madison, but the last two times that I stayed there the staff was more concerned with their own conversations than they were in checking me in. One time I can understand, but the second caused me to look for a different hotel. I'm Platinum with Priority Club, but have recently been drifting away from Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express due to this type of service at many hotels across North America.
In calling around to different hotels in the area, I was lucky enough to come across Monte at the Quality Inn! Monte assured me that if I gave this hotel a try they would take care of me.
15 minutes later I was in the loby and Monte had my room all ready for me. He is the reason that I gave this hotel a try and have never been dissapointed since!
I've said it many times when reviewing hotels, and in coaching those I work with...
People Make the Difference!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I where here for a business trip and where dissapointed in the apperence of the hotel and the staff. The staff seemed to be very unpleasant and acted like they didn't care to be here. The room was dissapointing as well the toliet seat was chipped and when you flushed it souned like it was going to fall apart!!! It xaid that it was a non smoking hotel yet the hallway of the hotel smelled like smoking. What made our stay was being so close to the Great Dane Pub and Brewary! We felt like we where in the trashey part of TOWN. Would not recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Dont stay here at all! To expensive for what they charge and the pictures dont match the website.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Jill W, Director of Sales at Wyndham Garden Madison Fitchburg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2015

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed you stay! Thank you very much for the review! We hope you can come visit us again soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We have stayed here multiple times over the course of about 5-6 years. Sometime our room is spotless and wonderful, other times we get stuck in rooms at the end of the second floor towards the restaurant and the smell is a mix of mildew and cigarette smoke (in a non smoking room). Just kind of gross... we had to complain once bc something nasty was streaked all over our bathroom floor but they cleaned it promptly. The restaurant attached to the hotel is GREAT!!!! take advantage of the free drink tickets the hotel gives out. You will get one per person when you arrive and then can go down to the front desk nightly and ask for more. Room service is good as well as maid service. The great dane across the street has EXCELLENT breakfast and a buffet if you are starving! Also there is a Cold Stone Creamery and a Panera across the street as well, both great! Fitchburg is a beautiful area and the area around the hotel is very upscale.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family