“LIttle bit of Europe in Madison, WI!”
Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 5 January 2012

What a treat, a little bit of the European tradition right in Madison, WI! We were there 7 nights over Christmas 2011 while visiting our children who live in the area, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! From the super comfortable bed and chair and the multi-jetted shower to the small extras like the Aveda products in the bathroom, the Keurig coffee maker and gourmet chocolates from a local chocolate shop... even a bathrobe to use, the HotelRed exceeded our expectations. I know others have complained about the openness of the bathroom to the bedroom, however we didn't find it an issue. The sliding industrial doors were a nice touch adding to the whole industrial look and feel. Just not something you would expect in the middle of the mid-west! The staff was very attentive and very friendly. They even had many folks working Christmas morning and they seemed genuinely happy to fix me some coffee and croissants/scones to take to our room! Only one slight overlook, our room was not attended to at all Christmas day [but we were not offended nor did we care much... we simply requested more coffee the following morning and made our own bed]. It was a refreshing oasis when we arrived each evening during our stay, and we will definitely consider staying again whenever we visit Madison in the future! Thank you, HotelRed staff!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room without the balcony [it was winter] and without the couch... and it was plenty b...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for HotelRED

Reviewed 3 January 2012

I've now stayed at HotelRed and eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner there, so I felt it was time for a review. As other have noted, the hotel is in the modern/industrial style and I was expecting more sparse, utilitarian rooms. But NO! The beds, couches, pillows are incredibly comfortable and welcoming. Our room had a small fridge, dishwasher, and wet bar, which I am sure comes in handy for long stays. Great shower and bathroom, although I agree with some of the other comments about the light coming in above the opening in the walls and the door not closing all the way in the bathroom. All in all though, the room was amazing, comfortable and peaceful.

As for the food, it just keeps getting better and better. I work in the area and have stopped in a few times, so I've seen the menu in all it's growing stages. The breakfast is excellent. I had perfectly cooked omelette and the potatoes on the side (layers of cheese and potatoes) are OUTRAGEOUSLY good. Fresh fruit is always fresh and tasty. My grilled chicken sandwhich and salad on two separate lunch occasions were simply done, fresh and delicious.

Finally, the dinner. We ate with a big group and shared much of the menu. Here are the standouts: Pot Roast was tender and perfect for a cold winter night; short ribs fall right off the bone and come with an amazing wasabi mashed potato side; the chicken was outstanding (and I never order chicken out for dinner); for the sides, the white beans were crowd pleasers, along with the fries, asparagus and green beens. The truffle mac and cheese is decadent and amazing. Stay away from the risotto.

Now, after all that praise, they still have some work to do. Service can be a little slow and food can take awhile to come out, but I am in the camp of this is a new place, give them time. The good news, it's a great hotel with a great restaurant, so there is nowhere to go but up.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Thank you for both staying and eating at HotelRED. We love to hear that guests of the hotel are enjoying the Wise, particularly when they eat breakfast, lunch and dinner! Your feedback is fantastic. I will make sure to pass everything on to the staff. Specifically we are working on our food times; always striving to improve our speed. Please let me know if there is anything else you’d like to see improve. Thank you again for your review and please let me know if I can help with anything else. Have a great winter.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed at HotelRED over New Years weekend in one of their studio suites. The price was great, especially considering that they have a free taxi service that runs all night and will drop you off/pick you up after a night out on State Street. The rooms are industrial modern. The furniture in the attached sitting room was soft and comfortable. The bed was so comfortable, I almost stole a pillow! By far the highlight of the room was the multi-jetted shower. I agree with the other reviewers that sound travels almost embarrassingly from the toilet room. But this didn't detract from our stay at all. Friendly service, great amenities, and modern style. We will be staying here again!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We held an early evening party for 120 people. The Hotel provided a meeting room right off the dining room/lobby area. The space had a nice feel and accomodated the group in fine fashion. The hotel catered party snacks were tasty and the presentation classy. All of the staff was attentive and accomodating. I would highly recommend this hotel for your next event.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2011

Thank you very much for having your party at HotelRED! We very much appreciate being able to serve as host. I will certainly pass on your kinds words to the entire staff. Thank you again and I hope you have a wonderful holidays.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

It's a fabulously styled and decorated hotel. You can't ask for a better location if you're in town on game day. Very modern and yet classic feeling. The bed was incredibly comfortable. Incredibly friendly and helpful staff. We were greeted with chocolates made from a local shop down the street (always a nice way to start in my opinion). The only downside I found (in agreement with others) was that the bathroom, while incredible to look at, was the not sealed off walls. The shower alone was worth the room. Fantastic with all the jets. But the steam all rose up and went over into the sleeping area. Also, there were no locks on the door, which was a little odd. The gap at the top of the wall also made for sound to carry, which for a bathroom is rather inconvenient and could be embarrassing. Great kitchenette if you were staying longer than the one night. If they could make it a tad more affordable (we went on the introductory price) I would be inclined to go more often.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed at this brand new state of the art hotel. Loved it. Perfect evening. Wanted to be close to State street. The employees working that night were great. Made us feel safe and willing to help out with directions. Loved the bar atmosphere and the great area to relax. This hotel is close to many activities and would have loved to stay longer to take advantage of the location. Close to shopping malls, eateries and site seeing. Beds and accomidations were very comfortable and the whole expereience was very upscale. Loved it. Will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony. They are large and the view was great
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I agree with the positive reviews. New hotel with ultra modern boutique style faux loft layout. Very convenient to the campus and football stadium. One hidden gem is that there is a great pancake house that shares the building. Mickey's is a tiny, often crowded (worth the wait) dive that serves abundant great eats for little cash(and "no credit cards") Our room was a suite with kitchenette digital safe and waterfall experience shower with 6 jets and a downpour overhead shower. If you have ever wanted to try one of these Kohler "blasters", this is your chance. Two negatives: The fridge was right next to the bed, I expected it to be noisey or hot, but it was neither. The bathroom is open to the suite over the wall to the kitchenette. On the plus side, nothing gets steamed up after an enjoyable romp in the Kohler. Negative...the shower is very loud. A glass partition at the top would help. If they keep the reasonable prices on non football weekends, we will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Thank you very much for staying with us at HotelRED. Your review was very helpful. Understanding that we need to look into noise issues with the shower, the placement of the refrigerator, and the open bathroom provides important information for making HotelRED even better. If you ever stay with us again please let me know how I can help. I hope you have a wonderful fall and thanks again.