“Madison is lucky to have this beautiful, modern hotel...”
Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our weekend getaway at Hotel Red. The décor and atmosphere is as marvelous as other reviewers and photos of the hotel suggest. We were wowed by the friendly, helpful staff. In particular, the shuttle driver was jovial and accommodating. We did have a minor issue with housekeeping: the previous guest had left the window open and the window sill was covered in small bugs. Parking appears to be sparse; we circled the block thinking that the small lot we pulled into couldn’t possibly be for guests, but we received a space. I only wish a hotel of this style was located downtown; a car is needed to get to the Capitol/State Street area from Hotel Red. The Camp Randall neighborhood is lucky to have Hotel Red in service. A must stay for Badger games and a fun getaway for couples.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night at HotelRED and just loved it. The check-in staff was very friendly and even had drinks for us. The room was gorgeous and very comfortable and quiet. The multi-jet shower was so relaxing that I didn't want to get out. The only reason that I'm not giving the hotel an excellent rating is because of the limited parking. I'm not sure that they have enough spaces on their property to accommodate all the rooms. There were no open spots when we checked in. We were told that a group had taken the spaces to go to a baseball game so no spaces were available, but that those spots would open up later that evening. I wasn't clear if these people were staying at the hotel or not. We were told that because it was Sunday that we could park across the street in the university's field house lot. Luckily we were heading out to eat and when we came back we found one open spot in the ground level ramp.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MPLS100
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed at HotelRED twice in July and had 2 great experiences. Very cool vibe to the hotel but if you don't like the loft style/concrete floors, then this wouldn't be for you. Rooms have a galley style kitchen complete with stove, dishwasher, microwave, dishes, etc. Rooms facing Camp Randall have fabulous balconies - can't imagine a better place for pre- or post-game activities and convenience. Staff was marvelous and they have a free SUV to shuttle you around town in.

Room Tip: Go for a suite with a view of Camp Randall
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a week while on a business trip to Madison. Fantastic place and pleasantly surprising. The best shower ever (spent half my time in there I think) and the decor was extremely pleasing, fresh and tastefully contemporary. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a room with the spa shower :)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I am all about clean, contemporary decor, so I can easily say HotelRED is by far the coolest hotel I have ever stayed in. I have only experienced Madison previously as a drunk college student, so I wanted to give it a second chance as an adult. My mom and I stayed here to break up a trip from Louisville to Minneapolis. If you like loft layouts, you will wish you could live here. High ceilings, cement floors, modern bed and fixtures (vessel sink, AMAZING waterfall shower - well, once you can figure it out it's amazing! Hah). The bed mattress and linens were super comfy. There are typical expensive minibar items, but the room is also equipped with a kitchenette so you can eat inexpensively if you so choose. I even took the toiletries with me, which I rarely do - c'mon, they were Aveda! A complimentary newspaper is placed on your door in a bag in the morning.

I am not familiar with the area so it seemed to me that the hotel kind of came up out of nowhere, but those who know Madison might say differently. Our room overlooked what I am assuming is a "college ghetto" neighborhood. It is directly across from the UW campus/football stadium and not AS downtown as I thought it would be. You will need a car to get to State Street/the capital area. However, we were satisfied with the restaurant at the hotel. It was very nice. We started on the patio and made our way inside. My mom's sliders were a little cold, but my chicken was great.

Service was excellent, everyone was really friendly. I'm looking for an excuse to come back to Madison with my fiancé so that he can experience HotelRED; he would love it. Maybe the hotel itself will have to be the excuse!

I will note that if you have more traditional tastes (like my mom), you might find the decor "cold and dark". But you will still appreciate its cool factor and have fun - she did!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My teenage daughter and I stayed at HotelRed while making a campus visit in July. I loved the location right across from the football stadium. The decor was very modern and had a clean look and feel. So nice not to have carpet in the room as we both have many allergies. It was super quiet and I only saw one other guest but we were there during the middle of the week. Still, nice not to hear street noise or hallway noise. The little kitchenette was very nice but we didn't use it. Loved the bathroom but that's where we had a couple of issues. First, I couldn't get the fancy shower to work for me as the water was scalding hot. I called the front desk and someone was at my room in 2 minutes to fix it. Apparently some of the knobs have been getting stuck and thats why the temp was hard to adjust. Also, there was a used washcloth, used soap and shampoo left in the shower from the previous guest. The rest of the bathroom appeared to be very clean and even the toilet paper was folded over so I think it was just an oversight by housekeeping. (still- gross) The bathroom wall doesn't go all the way to the ceiling so my teenager was bothered by the noise from me taking a shower and using a blow dryer in the morning as she was trying to sleep in. This wouldn't bother many people but I just mention it if you have light sleepers and someone will be getting ready in the bathroom. Really those were just minor issues. The bed was super comfy. The bar/restaurant looked inviting but we didn't have time to eat there. All of the staff were very friendly. Parking was free. I would stay there again- with my husband and no teenagers.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MannMom
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. We appreciate you staying with us. Thank you as well for the great feedback. It is very helpful and instructive.

I am very sorry to hear about the issues with the showers and the used products. We certainly strive to ensure every room is clean and ready for the next guest. I am working with the housekeeping department to ensure we attend to every part of the room.

Overall it sounds like you enjoyed your stay. If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know how I can help. Thanks again and I hope you have a wonderful rest of the summer.

Jason Ilstrup

Reviewed 20 July 2012

My wife and I had a great 3-day weekend at HotelRed. we loved the modern design of the place and the staff was incredibly nice and helpful. The room had a great bed, a nice little kitchen area and the BEST shower I've ever seen in a hotel. There are several good restaurants walking distance from the hotel, so no need to drive around. Highly recommend this place.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of HotelRED. We truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us while you’re in Madison.

Your comments about the hotel were very helpful. I will make sure the staff knows of your kind words. If you ever need anything in a future stay please let me know. I hope you have a great weekend.

Jason Ilstrup