“Cool new hotel overlooking Camp Randall Stadium”
Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Cool new hotel overlooking Camp Randall Stadium”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Cool modern hotel. Went to Madison for tour of U.W. A little pricey, but a cool room. Great bedding. Nice tub and shower. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. The handle on the shower sticks so my wife didn't get much of a shower -- too hot. Once I forced it, it was great. Easy walk to Camp Randall, Union South, and the heart of campus. Adjacent to Mickie's Dairy Bar. Cement Floors, big screens everywhere. Definitely not for you if you like plush carpet and lots of warm woods.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suite overlooking Camp Randall was really cool (301). The entire hotel is as far as...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Milwaukee, WI, USA
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We decided to stay in this new hotel for two days for my birthday, returning to my alma mater. The hotel, located right next to my favorite malt shop of all time, Mickie's Dairy Bar, is industrial in style, but conveniently located and really a cool place to stay. It's even better if you like red, or are a Wisconsin Badgers fan. The hotel has a convenient surface and underground parking lot (overcrowded when they hold special parties, we came to find out). The King room, which is the least expensive of all the suites there, had a view of Regent Street--not a bad view, but there could be better views. You get what you pay for there. Being a newly constructed hotel (within the last 12 mos.), it has a pretty high price point for those who prefer to be on a Best Western budget (there's a Best Western hotel approx. 1 mile away that is comfortable, but not convenient for those wanting to spend time close to campus), but we wanted to check it out. We plan to return for a weekend in July. It was that nice. See the pictures for yourself. The bed for me was a bit low and soft for my taste, despite being a platform bed, but in all fairness, I was suffering from a pretty painful low back issue. The one bit of advice for you and for the hotel management: Provide instructions on how to run the shower. It looks neat and funky, and the multiple shower heads is awesome. But I'm not a fan of blistering hot showers. My wife, who DOES like her shower hot, also complained about the temperature of the water, so if she says it's too hot, it's TOO HOT! If there are temp controls, just give us the bloody instructions! We'll be back, yes, but I do hope you provide a guide how to work the damn shower and/or control the temp!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul H
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Had a great weekend with friends. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite, beds were super comfortable. We provided a grocery list and it was all laid out for us when we arrived. We used the shuttle service frequently and the drivers were friendly and went above and beyond to help us find certain items. Definitely a great find!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah C
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you so much for choosing HotelRED for your girl’s weekend. It sounds like you made the best use of the hotel – shuttles, grocery service etc.

Thank you as well for your kind comments about the shuttle drivers. I will certainly pass this on to our team.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know; I’d love to help make your stay even better.

HUDSON
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Hotel Red would be a good place to relive your college days especially if you lived on N. Breese Terrace across the street from Camp Randall. Just as in those glory days you could sleep until a minute before kickoff and still see the whole game. You would also be able to watch the 72,000 people swarming into the game from the comfort of your room. HotelRED is just across the street from Camp Randall and the woman at the desk told me they do not require a 2 night minimum on game weekends...I still find this incredible. I've attached a photo to show you how near you would be to the stadium...it was a foggy day so the photo looks a little dreary. Not all rooms overlook Camp Randall, but most do and the decks are HUGE. We had a smaller triangle-shaped deck and it must have been 80 square feet. The larger rectangular decks would have to be about 150 square feet. They also have an outlet on the deck (I'm not sure what you'd do with this...boombox?).

Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you so much for choosing HotelRED for your recent trip to Madison. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the University of Wisconsin again. I can assure you you’re right to think how fun HotelRED is on game day. The whole hotel is a sea of red! There is nothing better than the birds’ eye views from the balconies.

There are certain games (mostly non-conference) that do not require a two night minimum. These games can be even more fun because the weather normally behaves early in the season.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know. We’d love to make your stay even better.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Great, clean, modern hotel. Offered a drink upon arrival. Stayed in the 2 bdrm suite-showers are open in each room but the toilet has a pocket door for privacy. Having the shuttle was perfect and the driver offered suggestions on where to go. Will come back with my husband

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. We are very happy you chose to stay with us. Hopefully you enjoyed your girl’s weekend.

If you need anything at all before your next stay please let me know. Thanks again for your stay and for the great review.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My husband and I and our puppy thoroughly enjoyed our two-night stay at HotelRED. Puppy received a special greeting when she arrived and loved sitting on our room's balcony to watch the world go by. The Commuter Trail was right outside the door when we needed a walk. Our modern room was nicely decorated and appointed with a really nice spa shower and a full kitchenette (even a dishwasher!) The room was very quiet despite a reportedly loud party going on in the lobby one floor below. Linens were nice, wifi worked perfectly. Staff was friendly and helpful and there is a complimentary shuttle service. There was also complimentary coffee--nice and strong--in the lobby in the morning. UW campus and Capitol Square were an easy walk. We did not get a chance to eat in the restaurant but the menu looked great. We will definitely be back.

1 Thank Dairy_State
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us at HotelRED. Thank you as well for brining your dog. You have no idea how this energizes everyone on our team. We love seeing the dogs enjoying themselves in the hotel.

Hopefully we will see you and your dog again. If so, please let me know if there is any way I can make your stay better.

I hope you have a great spring and thanks for the review.

Oak Lawn, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My wife and I purchased the Travelzoo deal knowing nothing about the hotel besides wanting to stay in Madison. We were more than pleased with our time there.Our room was equipped with a Keurig, dishwasher, 2 burner stove, fridge, microwave, mini bar and flat screen. Everything was within reach!

The hotel is in the shadow of Camp Randall. I can only imagine what it's like on gameday. The service and amenities are more than commensurate with the price point. We were warmly greeted by the front desk staff upon check in. The staff answered all of our questions, offered us a cocktail, and informed us of the free courtesy shuttle that could run us around town (which we took advantage of).The hotel itself is a precast concrete shell with modern, comfortable, and luxurious and comfortable appointments.

We ate dinner and breakfast at the on site restaurant. The meals were expertly prepared and well plated. The bartender made the best Sidecar I've ever had. Every staff member that we talked to was warm, fun, and helpful. Our shuttle driver took us to an improv show that we made on time, quickly picked us up, and made the ride back and forth very fun.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to experience quality service in the Madison area.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple