“HotelRED---In Living Color”

Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Beloit, Wisconsin
“HotelRED---In Living Color”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We were pleased to return to Madison's truly unique boutique hotel. In reading others' reviews, it's important to understand that this is a contemporary property with loft-like features...concrete floors, high ceilings, sleek furnishings , contemporary design and most importantly, plush and luxurious amenities. Fabulous bedding, robes, spa-shower, large rooms with generous sitting areas, and on the fourth floor, spacious balconies. What makes this gem sparkle, is the attentive and friendly staff both in the hotel and restaurant and the complimentary shuttle which we have used during both stays. Highly recommend trying a Moscow Mule....ginger based brew that we enjoyed upon arrival and before our departure during a delicious Sunday brunch. Already have re booked for the fall.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite with balcony and request the fourth floor if possible. Fun to see the comings an...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed here while relocating to the Madison area and could not have asked for a better experience. The hotel is very modern, reminds me of south beach with the décor and amenities. The hotel staff is extremely outgoing and friendly and always eager to help. The rooms are clean and the shower is amazing. The central location made it easy to conduct business in the Madison area while offering an eclectic change to the cookie cutter hotels. The restaurant is great and the menu is a true testament to the….” eat fresh, unique, and local” attitude that true foodies expect in a local restaurant. I look forward to my next stay and will refer my friends, family, and business associates to do the same. Great job Hotel Red!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed at HotelRED on a Saturday night in February 2013 with an online coupon site offer. Check-in was quick and efficient. The front desk staff was very service-oriented. Even offered us a cocktail! Our room was spectacular. Very modern decor, which I like. The bathroom had a spa-type shower, fluffy robes and Aveda products (my favorite)! Really liked that the room included a kitchenette with a sink and 'fridge. Bed was comfy as was the room overall.

We grabbed drinks from the bar and had breakfast there the next morning as well. Breakfast service was a bit slow. Seemed like not enough people for the size of the crowd. Luckily, our food was delicious and did help make up for the wait.

I would stay at Hotel RED again, and would love to plan another visit this summer.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thank you very much for your nice comments about HotelRED. We are very appreciative of everything you said.

I will pass everything on to our team. I will also work with our Food and Beverage team to ensure we keep the food coming out fast.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know, we’d like to make your stay even better.
Thanks again and I hope you have a great spring.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I picked the Hotel Red hoping for an upscale hotel for my wife to recover from a minor surgery while I worked in town for the weekend. It is billed as a Boutique Hotel, but, "Boutique" must mean renovated warehouse. What they don't tell you is that the hotel doesn't have carpet in the rooms, and as anybody that lives in the northern U.S. knows, that means extremely cold feet walking around the room. They do give you slippers on request, but if you're a man over a size 7, forget about them fitting. And not that it matters, but views of Camp Randall, uhhh...no. You can see the upper corner of the bleachers...so I guess they can bill it as such.

Aside from no carpeting in the rooms, and an ice machine tucked into a creepy furnace room, the first trip to the restaurant was horrible. I ordered the meatloaf sliders to bring back to my wife in the room, and they were literally flavorless, and extremely dry...stay away. When I saw they were the size of 50 cent pieces, I knew they couldn't be good. And at $10.00, it made me really feel gullible when I took the room service tray off. I'm pretty sure we will not be sampling the hotel fare again...fool me once....shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

And then I decided to take a shower, and of course, they have a fancy "boutique" shower system, but the cold/hot handle in room 415 is broken, and I scalded myself. Eventually, using more torque than I thought I had, I got the water to a comfortable temperature.

For 3 nights at close to $500, this is an enormous disappointment. Regretfully, this is only night #1 and we have 2 more to endure. There have got to be better options for a high class hotel in this city.

Travelers beware...I stay in 100+ hotel rooms a year, and this ranks very near the bottom...

P.S. The heater is one of those that runs constantly and doesn't shut off when it reaches a certain temp, so if you're bothered by that constant noise, you will not be pleased.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. I am very sorry to hear your stay did not go very well.

Even if the style of the hotel is not for everyone we still must provide the best service we can. We certainly did not live up to this throughout your stay. I am working with our kitchen to ensure our food is of top quality. We are also replacing the temperature valves in the showers to make them easier to use for our guests. This may be of small conciliation but we take your comments very seriously and are trying to create the best product we can.

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your stay. Please let me know if you ever need anything in the future.

I hope you have a great spring.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 April 2013

It's great to see that HotelRED has gotten some very positive reviews-it gives me hope for the rest of my stay. That said, I've only been here for a couple of hours and have gotten off to a pretty rough start. When I arrived, I attempted to check in and was told there was no reservation. Despite showing my confirmation number and e-mail, they could not find my reservation. Bizarre. The woman at the front desk was very helpful, though, and gave me a nice room. Good thing the hotel had vacancies or else I assume I would have been SOL!

Then, I got up to my room and noticed a bunch of brown stains on my comforter. That's never good. I haven't complained about this one yet because I was too tired/lazy to say anything at the moment.

After settling in, I went down to the lobby at around 4:15 to go to state street, which was recommended by the front desk as a good area to find something to eat. I was ready to walk the mile or so but they offered the hotel shuttle which was supposed to return in 10-15 minutes. The shuttle never came. I waited for nearly an hour and...nothing. The front desk staff apologized and was gracious enough to call me a cab and offered to pay for my ride to state street. The cab was supposed to get there in 5 minutes. Fast forward 15 minutes....no cab. I decided to cancel the cab and eat in the hotel restaurant which was, like most hotel restaurants, mediocre.

So, in summary, I would say that the staff is certainly friendly and responsive but the hotel must be having a rough day! If things don't improve, I certainly would not recommend the hotel to others, especially note business travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Adesa17
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. I am very sorry to hear about the issues throughout your stay.

We pride ourselves on ensuring an easy stay for our guests and certainly we did not meet that standard. Our housekeeping department never should have placed a stained comforter in your room. We also should have ensured the reservation information was correct and that our shuttle status was clearly communicated to you. I am already working on these issues with our team. We needed to make things a lot easier for you.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know if there is any way I can help.

I hope you have a great spring.

Le Mars, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2013

First of all the staff was the best part of our experience at this hotel! They were warm, friendly and handled our needs happily and quickly. The hotel itself is not my style. Too much concrete so it felt sterile and cold. I love a cozy warm bathroom when I shower and with the bathroom ceiling open to the main room I felt cold the minute I stepped out of the shower. We were upgrade to a room with a balconyand a view of the stadium and full kitchen which would be wonderful on game days. We received the upgrade because the shower could not be adjusted for temperature and was scalding hot. The tempeture handle was broken. The full kitchen was nice but was built for someone 6' tall! The microwave was on a shelf so high I needed to pull up a chair to use it. I am 5' tall.

Room Tip: If you are a Badger you will love it! Especially the balcony rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Excellent friendly service. The nicest hotel staff I have ever dealt with. Clean,modern and very comfortable. Great location. From the minute we checked in until we checked out the entire staff treated us like we were the only people staying at the hotel. Would go back in a minute.

Room Tip: Very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends