“Would I stay here again......Maybe.....for the right price.........” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Madison
Wisconsin
“Would I stay here again......Maybe.....for the right price.........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked a weekend trip here after finding a deal on Travelzoo for $149 a night for an executive suite including breakfast and 2 drinks at the Wise. I also liked how RED is pet friendly.

This place is not far from the Capital. It faces Camp Randall and is on a semi-quiet street. It's a very modern hotel, somewhat new with around 48 rooms, a small restaurant and bar. Parking was out back and is free. We had no problems finding a spot or parking the car. We checked in around 3:20 with our small dog and were friendly greeted. They oooh'ed about our dog and gave us a welcome treat bag for her. The front desk girls also offered my husband and I a welcome cocktail, which we graciously accepted. Check in was fast and they provided me with my breakfast and drink coupons. Pets are also $50 extra charge no matter how long or short the stay.

We were on the second floor, not far from the elevator and stairs. We entered the room and were very pleased at the size and features. Smooth polished concrete floors, a king bed, kitchenette, love seat, coffee table, and a very nice bathroom. The shower is beautiful, with a very modern rainfall type head, white tile, and clear glass. I wasn't really impressed with the shower as most people have stated. The pressure was just OK and the shower head is in need of cleaning because the spray was angled in places instead of straight down. At least the water was hot every day!

Our suite faced Camp Randall and had a furnished balcony. The 42" inch LCD TV is mounted to the wall, however, doesn't have pay per view movies to buy. I wanted to watch some new releases!

At night, we did notice you can hear every sound in the hallways. Slamming doors and voices. The people above us kept moving their furniture and made a lot of noise. With all the concrete, not sure if it's the echoing or the lack of sound proofing. Also, lots of street noise being so close to the street. City buses were very loud at night. I enjoyed the comfy robes in the room and we picked up some slippers from the front desk.

Drinks at the bar are excellent. The drink menu is very unique. The fact the bartender takes time to make every drink shows he cares how each and every drink tastes. Love the Moscow Mule and the Bacon Old Fashioned.

Breakfast in the AM was unique and tasty. My husband went down to order and bring up to the room since the coupons weren't valid for room service. He arrived with all food covered on a wooden tray. Nice touch! The gingered apple french toast is amazingly good. Thick cut, custardy french bread with tender apples and cream. The "Two Egg" breakfast was very good. Ordered it with turkey and sourdough. Big portion of sliced turkey, 2 large pieces of sourdough toast with butter and blueberry jam. The dauphinoise potatoes were excellent. Paper thin slices of potato layered thick with cream sauce and baked. Sliced into a triangle with a sprinkle of cheese on top. Yum. Service at the bar and restaurant was always pleasant.

One thing that has been bothering me since I got home is my missing bottle of perfume from my suitcase. At home, I placed a bottle of Calvin Klein Euphoria perfume in my suitcase amongst my clothing, took it out one day in the room, sprayed a bit on me, and promptly placed in back in my suitcase. When I got home and unpacked, it was no where to be found. I looked everywhere and I have a good memory. I'm certain it was always kept in my suitcase. I called the front desk to see if it was in lost and found or with housekeeping, just...in...case. They said they'd call me back, so we'll see.

I'm not sure if I'd stay here again for the value, but for another good deal, I definately would.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ltl_leah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed at this lovely hotel during a visit to the University of Wisconsin. My daughter thought it was very cool I had offered this as a choice of places to stay. Always good to score some "cool dad" points. Great room layout and plenty of room for the two of us. I could watch the Orange Bowl on tv and she was happy on the computer. The room had a small frig,microwave,full mini bar and treats and small stove to heat dinner. Nice big window overlooking a neighborhood. Area rug on the polished concrete floor. It was -3 outside but we were very cozy. Really.
They have a complimentary shuttle service in the local area.Jenna at the front desk drove us to the Sundance Theatre at a local mall to see a movie. She was very sweet and my daughter loved talking to her about the nightlife in Madison.
I highly recommend the theater. Dine-in type. Good food/drink.
My daughter says the gym at the hotel is "very cool".
The hotel is directly across from the football stadium on the south end of campus. Its not in the heart of the school but it is a special treat. Room was $143 with AAA discount.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor. Nice views and plenty of light.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NewJerseymaddog
Beavercreek, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

If you are looking for plush and cozy, go somewhere else. This is a cutting edge hotel with massive cement walls, floors and ceiling. It is hard and urban but surprisingly welcoming. The floors are polished concrete but the rooms are spacious and the bed is very comfortable. Not to be forgotten is the BEST shower ever. If you are in Madison, stay here, I know I will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David W
brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I spent a night in Madison in November and was very surprised to find HotelRed. A great funky little boutique style hotel that is evidently quite new. The room was reasonably spacious with a very comfy bed and a small but well appointed bathroom. Love the choice of lots of different shower heads. The bar and restaurant just off the foyer have a great little menu for lunch and then breakfast the next morning. The bar staff were most attentive and mixed a mean cocktail.

It would be my first choice if I'm ever back in Madison.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us at HotelRED. I am very glad you found us! Thank you as well for the nice comments, they’ll go a long way.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know, I’d love to do whatever I can to make your next stay even better.

I hope you have a great winter (or summer in Australia). Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I came to Madison for a recruiting trip at UW-Madison and stayed at the Hotel Red hotel. I did not know what to expect, but the hotel was great. I stayed in the Premier Studio Suite and the room was set up like a loft with trendy furniture and a mini kitchen. The room also had a nice size balcony. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you so much for the nice note about HotelRED. We certainly appreciate your kind words. I hope you had a successful recruiting trip!

If you ever in Madison again please let me know, we’d love to make your stay even better.

I hope you have a great weekend and thanks again.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We booked a room here for the WI Badger game on a Saturday night. We were able to get the room for one night, where most other locations all required a 2 night stay. The hotel was exactly what we were looking for. You couldn't possibly get any closer to Camp Randall! The roof was very modern and the bed was super comfortable. All necessary options were in the room including a fridge, stove, coffee maker, pull out sofa sleeper, microwave. We may have spent a little more to stay here, but it was definitely worth it!
We would pick this hotel again without any thought.

Room Tip: Our balcony overlooked Camp Randall!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us for a Badger game. It sounds like you had a great time. We are very lucky to be directly across from Camp Randall Stadium – it certainly provides a great vantage point.

We are also very thankful for the nice review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests.
If you ever need anything at all over a future trip to Madison please let me know. I’d love to help however I can.

I hope you have a great winter and thanks again for staying with us.

Central Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Right across from Camp Randall stadium. Great shower, modern decor, great check in. We were offered a cocktail upon checking in and were given excellent chocolates. The beds were comfortable, including the sleeper sofa in the living area. We had breakfast at the hotel - interesting menu including great dauphinoise potatoes. Our server, Ashley, was attentive without hovering and told us some history of the hotel. This is a great place to stay in Madison, right in the middle of all the action.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suites are very room and include two full baths.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends