“Great hotel, but not so thrilled about the staff.”
Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Milwaukee
“Great hotel, but not so thrilled about the staff.”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

First of all, I loved the hotel room. I thought that the room was clean, and the bed was the best bed I've ever slept in. I thought that the rainfall shower was amazing too, but my boyfriend was not a fan. His first shower was scalding hot, and his 2nd shower was ice cold. This hotel is not that big, and it is new, so there should be no excuses for running out of hot water at 9 am. I also loved that checkout time was noon, and that pets are welcome, even though we did not bring ours on this particular trip.

I was not such a fan of the staff, however. Everybody was very nice, but we wanted to use the shuttle to get to the hockey game on Friday night. We signed up for the shuttle and asked if we were to meet here in the lobby. The girl at the desk told us yes, you can meet right here. Well it turns out we were supposed to go to the ground floor and meet the shuttle at the back entrance by the valet. Twice, the guy driving us pulled out right into oncoming traffic, nearly causing more than one accident. Secondly, he dropped us off like 2 blocks from the hockey game and opened the door. There were lots of people in the shuttle going to different places, and none of us knew who was supposed to get out at this spot. After he told us this was our destination, we had to ask him where we were supposed to walk to. When he picked us up again, he told us the name of some streets that we should meet him at. If we are staying in a hotel in Madison, we are obviously not from Madison, and therefore you should not expect us to know where we are going at any point.

The next day we called the shuttle to come pick us up again, and this time a girl was driving. We walked to the shuttle, around to the side entrance, and tried to open the door but it was locked. We knocked on the window for the girl to let us in, and then while I was holding onto the handle of the shuttle, she started driving off and a minute later we were getting a phone call from her trying to find us. "Um, I was standing at the shuttle knocking on the window.....????"

Then Sunday morning came around and we were finishing up our showers and getting ready to check out by noon. We had our do not disturb sign on our door. At 11:40 am I am standing in the bathroom (which is right by the main door) with the door open, only half dressed and curling my hair, when the maid unlocks the door and starts to come into the room. She sees me in the bathroom half dressed and closes the door again. When I went to check out I verified with the front desk that checkout is in fact at noon and told the girl that the maid barged in on me in the bathroom. There was no apology, just an excuse, "Well we were full last night, so the maids are pretty busy, and sometimes people forget to take the signs off the door when they leave, and she was just checking to see if the room was available or not." EXCUSE ME????? First of all, you need to have some sort of system in place that allows the maids to know if the room is empty or not. Second, if she isn't sure, then she should KNOCK first. Thirdly, if I am complaining to you that I was barged in on while in the bathroom, you freaking apologize to me, you don't make excuses!!! This should never happen under any circumstances!

My final gripe about this place is that they seem to be advertising the theme "going green." There is even a sign in the bathroom that encourages guests to save water and "shower together". Another sign about how to reuse towels, etc. BUT...this hotel room came with a dishwasher. We used two coffee cups on our first morning (none on the second morning because they never replaced our coffee supply), and instead of just washing them by hand, we found our two cups had been placed in the dishwasher and the dishwasher was started. If that isn't the biggest waste of water I have ever seen, I don't know what is.

I would probably stay here again, just because it was in a convenient location and the room itself was great, but the staff needs some serious retraining in my opinion if this place is going to make it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank okruhlik1
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us at HotelRED. I am sad to hear about the services issues you had during your stay. I am personally very sorry for our miscommunication, lack of understanding and compassion.

All of your issues should not have happened. We should certainly communicate better with you in our shuttle. The shuttle service is great but only if we effectively work with our guests. Next, our housekeeper never should have entered the room in the manner you stated. We need to ensure we fallow all of our room entry procedures every time. Lastly, our team must understand the situation you presented us; we must listen, apologize and react properly. We did none of the above.

With our comments I can use your example as a training guide to ensure this does not happen again.

I am very sorry these incidents happen to you. If there is any way I can help further please let me know.

I hope you have a wonderful end of winter.

Jason Ilstrup

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Traveling to Madison once a month is made pleasurable with a stay at Hotel Red. Always I am greeted by friendly staff and clean, classy rooms. The bar staff is very professional and live music creates a great ambiance. Great location and original atmosphere!

Room Tip: A room facing Camp Randall with a balcony is your best bet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank bomarjk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for an event at Uni Wisconsin. Great hotel - clean, modern and very functional. Due to the weather we decided to eat here as well and the food was simply outstanding. We had a one bed suite and having a bath tub in the room was a little weird but room was fine if not a little awkwardly shaped. No fault of the hotel but the snow outside combined with concrete floors in the hotel room led to a bit of a messy floor in our room. Staff friendly and restaurant service very quick. Would stay here again and would look forward to doing so,

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 565NOSTAY565
Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked a weekend trip here after finding a deal on Travelzoo for $149 a night for an executive suite including breakfast and 2 drinks at the Wise. I also liked how RED is pet friendly.

This place is not far from the Capital. It faces Camp Randall and is on a semi-quiet street. It's a very modern hotel, somewhat new with around 48 rooms, a small restaurant and bar. Parking was out back and is free. We had no problems finding a spot or parking the car. We checked in around 3:20 with our small dog and were friendly greeted. They oooh'ed about our dog and gave us a welcome treat bag for her. The front desk girls also offered my husband and I a welcome cocktail, which we graciously accepted. Check in was fast and they provided me with my breakfast and drink coupons. Pets are also $50 extra charge no matter how long or short the stay.

We were on the second floor, not far from the elevator and stairs. We entered the room and were very pleased at the size and features. Smooth polished concrete floors, a king bed, kitchenette, love seat, coffee table, and a very nice bathroom. The shower is beautiful, with a very modern rainfall type head, white tile, and clear glass. I wasn't really impressed with the shower as most people have stated. The pressure was just OK and the shower head is in need of cleaning because the spray was angled in places instead of straight down. At least the water was hot every day!

Our suite faced Camp Randall and had a furnished balcony. The 42" inch LCD TV is mounted to the wall, however, doesn't have pay per view movies to buy. I wanted to watch some new releases!

At night, we did notice you can hear every sound in the hallways. Slamming doors and voices. The people above us kept moving their furniture and made a lot of noise. With all the concrete, not sure if it's the echoing or the lack of sound proofing. Also, lots of street noise being so close to the street. City buses were very loud at night. I enjoyed the comfy robes in the room and we picked up some slippers from the front desk.

Drinks at the bar are excellent. The drink menu is very unique. The fact the bartender takes time to make every drink shows he cares how each and every drink tastes. Love the Moscow Mule and the Bacon Old Fashioned.

Breakfast in the AM was unique and tasty. My husband went down to order and bring up to the room since the coupons weren't valid for room service. He arrived with all food covered on a wooden tray. Nice touch! The gingered apple french toast is amazingly good. Thick cut, custardy french bread with tender apples and cream. The "Two Egg" breakfast was very good. Ordered it with turkey and sourdough. Big portion of sliced turkey, 2 large pieces of sourdough toast with butter and blueberry jam. The dauphinoise potatoes were excellent. Paper thin slices of potato layered thick with cream sauce and baked. Sliced into a triangle with a sprinkle of cheese on top. Yum. Service at the bar and restaurant was always pleasant.

One thing that has been bothering me since I got home is my missing bottle of perfume from my suitcase. At home, I placed a bottle of Calvin Klein Euphoria perfume in my suitcase amongst my clothing, took it out one day in the room, sprayed a bit on me, and promptly placed in back in my suitcase. When I got home and unpacked, it was no where to be found. I looked everywhere and I have a good memory. I'm certain it was always kept in my suitcase. I called the front desk to see if it was in lost and found or with housekeeping, just...in...case. They said they'd call me back, so we'll see.

I'm not sure if I'd stay here again for the value, but for another good deal, I definately would.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ltl_leah
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed at this lovely hotel during a visit to the University of Wisconsin. My daughter thought it was very cool I had offered this as a choice of places to stay. Always good to score some "cool dad" points. Great room layout and plenty of room for the two of us. I could watch the Orange Bowl on tv and she was happy on the computer. The room had a small frig,microwave,full mini bar and treats and small stove to heat dinner. Nice big window overlooking a neighborhood. Area rug on the polished concrete floor. It was -3 outside but we were very cozy. Really.
They have a complimentary shuttle service in the local area.Jenna at the front desk drove us to the Sundance Theatre at a local mall to see a movie. She was very sweet and my daughter loved talking to her about the nightlife in Madison.
I highly recommend the theater. Dine-in type. Good food/drink.
My daughter says the gym at the hotel is "very cool".
The hotel is directly across from the football stadium on the south end of campus. Its not in the heart of the school but it is a special treat. Room was $143 with AAA discount.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor. Nice views and plenty of light.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NewJerseymaddog
McFarland, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 December 2013

If you are looking for plush and cozy, go somewhere else. This is a cutting edge hotel with massive cement walls, floors and ceiling. It is hard and urban but surprisingly welcoming. The floors are polished concrete but the rooms are spacious and the bed is very comfortable. Not to be forgotten is the BEST shower ever. If you are in Madison, stay here, I know I will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David W
brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I spent a night in Madison in November and was very surprised to find HotelRed. A great funky little boutique style hotel that is evidently quite new. The room was reasonably spacious with a very comfy bed and a small but well appointed bathroom. Love the choice of lots of different shower heads. The bar and restaurant just off the foyer have a great little menu for lunch and then breakfast the next morning. The bar staff were most attentive and mixed a mean cocktail.

It would be my first choice if I'm ever back in Madison.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us at HotelRED. I am very glad you found us! Thank you as well for the nice comments, they’ll go a long way.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know, I’d love to do whatever I can to make your next stay even better.

I hope you have a great winter (or summer in Australia). Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Jason Ilstrup