“Modern hotel with good amenities--maybe not suited for business”
Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I just returned from a four night stay at HotelRed. I found the hotel to be fun and relaxing in many ways. I appreciated having a bathrobe, slippers, large bed, a Keurig, and Aveda bath products. The shower was also top notch.

However, a few inconsistencies made the the stay "average" rather than very good or excellent.

According to the hotel website, the hotel's lobby has a business center. However, the printer was not functioning and there was really no alternative, other than sending confidential documents to the hotel staff to print. Moreover, the person working the night shift was not able to offer any guidance--he suggested waiting until the morning, but even then the problem wasn't resolved. We often used the hotel shuttle, which was great to have, but sometimes the availability just wasn't there. They didn't have the staff to cover all the trips we wished to make.

Finally, the worst part is that our room smelled very musty--like an old wet basement. In fact, we even asked the hotel staff to provide us with some air freshener, but it didn't really offer any relief. Maybe the rooms just need to be aired out because it's been a long winter--I hope that's the case.

I think the location of this hotel and most amenities make the stay worthwhile. If you have a serious agenda to get business done, maybe this isn't the best option.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sweetabs
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. We are very appreciative that you took the time to write a review of the hotel. Your comments are very helpful.

First, we certainly should ensure the business center printer is up and running. This will be fixed right away. Second, your room should always smell fresh. We are currently in the process of deep cleaning every room after the long winter. We want to ensure every room is fresh all the time.

Again I am very thankful you took the time to inform us about your stay. Please let me know if you ever need anything on a future trip to Madison.

I hope you have a wonderful spring.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Normally not a big fan of the more modern hotels but liked this one. Comfortabe rooms, super nice staff and good food! Enjoyed the nice touch with the little table top games in the lobby. Two minor complaints, wish the bathroom was fully enclosed as woke my wife when I was showering and also not a problem with the concrete floors/ceiling but I think the ceiling concrete should be painted...would brighten the room up a bit!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2014

HotelRED was in the perfect location for meetings at the University of Wisconsin, located across from the Camp Randall Stadium. Helpful staff picked us up from the airport in the hotel's courtesy shuttle and took us to a number of other locations throughout our stay. The hotel was elegant and modern. We enjoyed the happy hour at the bar downstairs and the location of the hotel close to other restaurants and bars. The room was well equipped with a comfortable king-sized bed, free Wifi access, and a kitchenette complete with coffee maker, wet bar, refrigerator, and even a dishwasher. There were complimentary Aveda toiletries and the shower was to die for! I could have stayed in there all day. All the staff were great and I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Madison.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Ive always been more of a traditional style hotel lover, but this hotel was a fun change. It's ultra modern, industrial look really made it pop. The folks in the lobby made it easy to check in, and parking is free. The room was quite spacious with a comfy king size bed and a queen size pull out couch. The room had a nice little kitchen bar area with a fridge, burners and all the kitchen supplies needed(glasses,plates,silverware, etc). A coffee machine with kcups was also supplied. I will agree with past bloggers the micro wave was a bit high, but no biggy
The shower head was awesome and the body jets devine. My only complaint about the bathroom was the opening arch way between the bathroom and main room. I don't get why anyone would want to share anything from the bathroom, but other than this, I loved this hotel
Also as past reviews have mentioned, you must go to the greasy spoon next door for breakfast and lunch, great food great price

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Was only able to stay one night here due to other commitments, wished I could have stayed longer. Location is great, close to campus and State St. action. (But not TOO close) Thought noise could be an issue but was not. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was good sized and very clean. Bathroom was exceptional. Everything has a very modern, sleek look and feel. Finally, Madison has a hotel as hip as it is.

Room Tip: Hotel has a variety of different room floor plans, check web site be fore deciding.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank john r
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you very much for the wonderful review. It sounds like you really enjoyed your time in Madison and at HotelRED. I will certainly pass on your kind words to our team.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know, I’d love to help make your visit even better.
I hope you have a fantastic spring and thanks again.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I have stayed in many of the Hotels near campus in Madison. Proximity to Camp Randall and the South Union is very good. At this end of Madison, this hotel is a must stay. Younger traveling companions say this is their favorite hotel and they loved the bathroom amenities and shower.

Great Badger spirit.

Room Tip: A balcony room facing Camp Randall Football Stadium s a very good view. On a game day, with a lot o...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hibbing1

Thank you very much for staying with us at HotelRED. I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I highly recommend joining us for a Badger Game Day. It’s a sea of red! If you’re ever in town for a game please let me know, I’d love to help make your experience even better.

Thanks again and I hope you have a wonderful spring (if it ever comes!).

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Madison is a rough place to visit in February, but this boutique hotel was clean, modern, and interesting. The staff was helpful. And the artisan chocolates they give to all visitors were tasty! Worth a visit

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jack H
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you very much for the nice review. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit (and the Maurie’s chocolates!).

Madison certainly is a rough place to visit in February, particularly this winter. I grew up in the Minnesota and can’t remember a winter as bad as this. Hopefully you’ll be able to visit again in the spring or summer; I promise there will be better weather!

Thank you again for staying with us. Please let me know if I can ever help with anything in the future.

Have a great week.