“Unexpected Cool”

Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Newport Beach
“Unexpected Cool”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I recently spent 3 nights at HotelRED on a college campus visit. As I drove from the airport through Madison I began to form an opinion of the "Midwest" and an expection of what the hotel would look like. Boy, was I wrong. HotelRed has the feel and look of a Soho or Meatpacking District boutique Manhattan hotel. Its industrial chic decor that is heavy in Badger Red was a complete surprise and seems out of place when taken in context of where it's located. But the rooms are spacious, clean, and well furnished. My room had a large outdoor balcony that overlooked Camp Randall. It would be nice to have two elevators to service the hotel and more parking but these are minor inconveniences. I highly recommend the hotel's restaurant. The dinner I was served there was the best meal I ate in Madison and much better than the food I ate nextdoor at the very popular Mickies Dairy Bar.

Room Tip: Any room with an outdoor patio.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank William W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Spent one night here while passing through Madison, WI. Wish I could have made it a week. The staff was incredible, and I just wanted to sit in the lobby and hang out. Every team member stopped to pet our dog, and the lobby had water and biscuits waiting for her. What else could you ask for. The decor was modern and stylish, but they also managed to make it warm and inviting. Definitely a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Go for a room with the Balcony
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I spent 3 nights here for a meeting at the hotel. Loved the decor The rooms are very spacious, and mine had a balcony - a nice amenity for the one day of the trip when the weather cooperated. The hotel is well located for access to UW and downtown. If you are going to a game at Camp Randall, you can't get any closer. My group had several folks who like to walk, so we enjoyed walking to Capital Square and/or back for dinner. The hotel shuttle and taxis were an easy option for those who preferred to ride. The staff were great. They were very accommodating with our needs for the meeting setup, as well as making dinner reservations for a large group at one of the city's most popular restaurants. The hotel has a small, but nice fitness center with new equipment - an important amenity for me when I know I will be sitting in meetings for long days. The only thing that I wasn't overly impressed by was the restaurant/food. It was okay, but not great. There are several really good restaurants nearby, though.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 20 April 2014

HotelRed is nice if like you like super trendy and cement. The room did not have a warm feeling to it - not unlike being in a parking structure. They really talk about being "pet friendly", but I did not get the feeling that they were very accommodating. Hotel staff needs to work on guest relations and follow through. If you have a pet, the rate will run about $200 a night.

1 Thank 435Derry
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your helpful review. I’m very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay or feel that we are pet friendly. No matter what we should have been accommodating to both you and your pet. We pride ourselves on positive attitudes however we clearly did not meet that mark. With this information, I will work with our team to ensure a better result.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you have a wonderful spring.

Jason Ilstrup
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I just returned from a four night stay at HotelRed. I found the hotel to be fun and relaxing in many ways. I appreciated having a bathrobe, slippers, large bed, a Keurig, and Aveda bath products. The shower was also top notch.

However, a few inconsistencies made the the stay "average" rather than very good or excellent.

According to the hotel website, the hotel's lobby has a business center. However, the printer was not functioning and there was really no alternative, other than sending confidential documents to the hotel staff to print. Moreover, the person working the night shift was not able to offer any guidance--he suggested waiting until the morning, but even then the problem wasn't resolved. We often used the hotel shuttle, which was great to have, but sometimes the availability just wasn't there. They didn't have the staff to cover all the trips we wished to make.

Finally, the worst part is that our room smelled very musty--like an old wet basement. In fact, we even asked the hotel staff to provide us with some air freshener, but it didn't really offer any relief. Maybe the rooms just need to be aired out because it's been a long winter--I hope that's the case.

I think the location of this hotel and most amenities make the stay worthwhile. If you have a serious agenda to get business done, maybe this isn't the best option.

1 Thank sweetabs
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. We are very appreciative that you took the time to write a review of the hotel. Your comments are very helpful.

First, we certainly should ensure the business center printer is up and running. This will be fixed right away. Second, your room should always smell fresh. We are currently in the process of deep cleaning every room after the long winter. We want to ensure every room is fresh all the time.

Again I am very thankful you took the time to inform us about your stay. Please let me know if you ever need anything on a future trip to Madison.

I hope you have a wonderful spring.

Jason Ilstrup
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Normally not a big fan of the more modern hotels but liked this one. Comfortabe rooms, super nice staff and good food! Enjoyed the nice touch with the little table top games in the lobby. Two minor complaints, wish the bathroom was fully enclosed as woke my wife when I was showering and also not a problem with the concrete floors/ceiling but I think the ceiling concrete should be painted...would brighten the room up a bit!

denali1118
Reviewed 8 April 2014

HotelRED was in the perfect location for meetings at the University of Wisconsin, located across from the Camp Randall Stadium. Helpful staff picked us up from the airport in the hotel's courtesy shuttle and took us to a number of other locations throughout our stay. The hotel was elegant and modern. We enjoyed the happy hour at the bar downstairs and the location of the hotel close to other restaurants and bars. The room was well equipped with a comfortable king-sized bed, free Wifi access, and a kitchenette complete with coffee maker, wet bar, refrigerator, and even a dishwasher. There were complimentary Aveda toiletries and the shower was to die for! I could have stayed in there all day. All the staff were great and I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Madison.