“Amazing tea, poor environment”
Review of Macha Teahouse

Macha Teahouse
Ranked #511 of 992 Restaurants in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin
“Amazing tea, poor environment”
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I saw all of the great reviews and, as a tea freak, had to try this place out. I wasn't given a warm welcome, rather I had a menu handed to me by a girl who walked off without a hello. When my friend arrived, I had to give her a menu as she wasn't even noticed. The man there didn't want to talk to me about anything they had to offer so I just took a stab at it. I didn't care much for the seating selection (closets with worn out pillows on the floor or benches with worn out cushions) or the way the sugar/honey is left out in a community bowl above dirty dishes. However, the tea was amazing! Great price for what I ordered - one pot could easily be split between two. My advice: you've got the product, now clean it up and become nicer to get four stars.

Batavia, Illinois
“Best tea I have ever had!”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This place smells amazing. I no longer live in Madison, but whenever I am around I stop in to purchase my favorite tea. I have never found another place that has as good loose leaf tea. I used to study here in grad school in the cute little rooms upstairs. I highly recommend this place!

• Visited July 2013
“Meet Anthony, the Tea Whisperer. macha tea may change your life”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I needed to stop my coffee habit, not caffeine, but coffee. My friends would have never believed that I could eliminate coffee from my diet, but I did. Thanks to Anthony and macha (matcha).

My first visit, I told him what I wanted, gave him descriptions of me, my moods, my likes and he suited me up with a selection of teas and taught me about water temperature and brewing. If you're like me, the reason I didn't like tea was because I wasn't making it correctly. He'll show you how. Also, he'll walk you over to the map and show you where it's grown - I love that part.

But try a bowl of macha. Anthony makes it perfectly. It's warm, earthy, and healing (not to mention data has shown that it reduces belly fat, and as I live and breathe, it has certainly helped me). There's a little ritual way of making it with a bamboo brush - it's a great way to start your day and travels well. I know, it's expensive, but worth every penny to me.

Rachel is the talented cook and chef who creates dreamy lunches and exquisite desserts. Cookies and cupcakes are delicate, fresh and made of clean ingredients. Cookies have interesting flavors like cardamom or basil, or macha chocolate chip. She features a changing lunch menu - everything I have tried has been fabulous.

The place has a peaceful vibe, not like a church peaceful, but a "life is good" feeling. I don't get here often enough, but every visit is a gift to my soul.

It took me a long time to go here because I felt like I was going into my aunt's house but I didn't call ahead. Remember it's closed Monday and doesn't open til 10 am. Just get there the first time, and I promise you'll be back.

Remember it's a small business and like most small business, cash is appreciated (but they take credit cards too).

• Visited July 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Food, great experience, will be back for more”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My partner and I wanted to try a high tea at Macha with some friends of ours (total party of 6 but could have had more in our tea room). We called in our reservation ahead of time and they were very accommodating to our group. When my partner and I arrived (about 20 min early) Anthony explained to us what room we would have and what to expect through out the service. The room was decorated very nicely with pillows and benches, the table was ready with cookies and scones. Anthony did a great job at explaining the tea options and making recommendations on tea selections.

We started off with 2 types of cookies (Cardamom, and Thai basil lemon oat cookies) and blueberry scones. They were delicious and we had a refreshing iced tea to start off with. After taking his recommendations on tea Anthony delivered 4 teas, WuLiang Mao Feng (Black tea), Jasmine (Green tea), Ginger Peach (Black tea) and Velvet (Herbal tea) more of a dessert type tea. Along with the teas came the sandwiches which were incredible. A curry chicken sandwich, egg salad sandwich and a cucumber cream cheese sandwich, beautiful to look at, but better to eat. All sandwiches presented in white tiered dishes. Anthony let us have our time to enjoy but making sure we were not running low on teas.
To finish, we all had a red velvet cupcake with a home made frosting.
We truly enjoyed our time chit chatting and enjoying great food amongst friends. To top it all off any sandwiches or cookies left, Anthony divided and boxed them amongst the three couples in our party.

We plan to go back and take a friend of ours that will be visiting in September. And by the way check out their website for other food dishes that they offer. Great place to have a relaxing time while on Monroe St. ENJOY!!

• Visited July 2012
Madison
“If you love tea....”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

An excellent source of exotic teas, prepared correctly and served elegantly. In a lively part of town on Monroe street near Camp Randall and the amazing new University's Union South. I t also has a rotating gallery display the rooms that accomodate private groups.

• Visited September 2011