“Learned a lot!”

Wisconsin Historical Museum
Ranked #28 of 105 things to do in Madison
More attraction details
Owner description: Bringing Wisconsin's history to life through exhibits on the material culture of the state and the Upper Midwest, from prehistoric times to present day.
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed this museum. It is free, but they recommend donations which I gladly gave. The museum has a whole level devoted to native Americans and a whole level devoted to the past 200 years which I really enjoyed. I learned things such as industry and politics that I have never heard about before. It was very informative and I highly recommend this museum.

2  Thank EaglesFan27

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have mixed feelings about the Wisconsin Historical Museum. The three floors of the museum cover the ancient Indian inhabits and the history of Wisconsin. There are lots of interesting historical artifacts; it just doesn't tell a coherent story. Try the museum if you want to know more about the history of Wisconsin, but don't expect a well-curated set of displays. Admission is by donation.

2  Thank areview28
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Wisconsin Historical Museum is worthwhile for any age. There are three floors of exhibits, including rotating exhibits on the first floor. Even if you have been there before, you will always see something that you missed.

I think that they have done a wonderful job of creating exhibits that help you understand more about the unique history of Wisconsin. From the fur trading to the rich political activities; from the contributions of various ethnic immigrants to the many items invented here, it's all very interesting.

You are asked to make a small contribution upon entering and you can take your time doing your self-tour. Afterward, you can stroll over to the Capitol or maybe down State Street to find a nice place to eat lunch.

I really love this place!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

An average museum, at best. Collections focus on Native Americans, Wisconsin History and Wisconsin Industry. Nice, but not as good as Milwaukee Public Museum. Considering it was in the State Capitol, we assumed it would be bigger and better.

Parking was terrible. All the public parking uses quarters, and at $1.50 per hour, you have to plug in a lot of quarters

Not a place we would visit again.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We went into the museum on a whim. Very glad we did! Impressed with the displays, the feel, the cleanliness and the organized lay-out. It was fun seeing and and becoming a bit more versed on our wonderfully rich state....make a day of it. This place is pretty cool

Been to Wisconsin Historical Museum? Share your experiences!