“Great Experience”

Courtyard Madison East
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at the Courtyard on the east side of Madison a few weeks ago and had a pleasant trip. As I work in hospitality, I can be quite picky, but this property was exactly what I expected for a Marriott property. Nothing but good things! Check-in was fast and friendly, our suite was on the 4th floor with a great view of downtown Madison (however, this may be a drawback for those who are light sleepers as it faces the Interstate). The suite, the property, and all amenities were clean and properly maintained. Check-out was a little slower, but that was mainly due to some billing questions. I can definitely recommend this property for those looking for a nice stay on the east side.

Room Tip: Whirlpool suites face the Interstate, but offer a great view of downtown Madison
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cajordan

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've been to this hotel a few times now for business. Great location, great accommodations. The staff is very friendly, the workout facilities very nice, the rooms clean, modern, and comfortable. I've also leveraged their conference room on a few occasions and found it to be very comfortable with great food and service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2014

First of all this is a very clean hotel and the rooms were very nice. Some even had balconies and that was a bonus. All of the employees of the hotel were friendly.

However, they fell short on the group friendly meter. We had twelve families at the hotel for a soccer tournament. The team wanted a pizza party at 4 PM after their last game on Saturday and so I called to see if they had a meeting or conference room we could use. The front desk informed me that the room would be an additional cost and that we would not be able to bring food in from an outside vendor but would have to use their Bistro pizza. 12 inch pizzas for $15 per pizza. I then asked if there was an outside area we could use and was told the same. Any common area in the hotel would be restricted from outside food vendors. Finally the team decided to order the pizza's anyway and if nothing else, we would have a tailgate party in the parking lot. When I got to the hotel and saw that the Bistro was not even open until 5 PM, I made one last appeal to the manager on duty and she said that as long as we were done and the table cleaned by 5PM, we could use the Bistro area. So we finally were given some flexibility but it took a lot of asking. I will tell you that the entire time were were there, the Bistro, courtyard and other seating areas were not used by anyone other than our soccer team and a Rugby team. At breakfast the Bistro had a few tables in use by the Rugby team ... but other than that these areas were almost completely empty.

There was also no microwave in the room and I thought that was really odd. They had a fridge .. but no microwave. There was a microwave down in the lobby that you could use. Which leads you back to them wanting you to exclusively do all your meals in their restaurant.

I understand policy and rules. And had we known that they were so restrictive with their larger gathering areas and in bringing food in, we would have looked for a more accommodating hotel. None of us had run into this before and so we were not prepared. In future we will be asking hotels if our soccer team would have more options.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony. They are generally larger than the other rooms and the balcony is not s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We left Falls Church Va at 0400 Central Time and arrived at 1820 . The hotel was dry busy but check in went smooth and we proceeded to a very comfortable room. We had a quick dinner out and then did a little Email work via the free Wifi..I was tired and my sleep was sound. As we had another 10 hour day in front of us we were up before breakfast was officially served. There was still plenty do coffee, rolls and fruit out to serve the purpose and we were able to Bo on the road by 0615.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I stay in marriott hotels alot and by far out of all the people I have met or have spoken to the Night receptionist Rodney is the best he was super helpful over the phone and in person. He went above and beyond to make sure I had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel not only because of the staff but because of the complete package or a beautiful property and helpful friendly staff.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Madison East Courtyard has many good qualities typical of the Marriott chain. Housekeeping and upkeep were excellent. Rooms are very well designed: they are spacious, with free wi-fi, a good task chair, ample lighting, numerous electrical outlets, lounge seating, and ample shelf space in the bathroom. There is also very ample seating in the lobby, a convenience for people such as myself who keep different sleeping hours from their partner or spouse.

The comfort of the room was not at the same level as the design. The bed was considerably less comfortable than the one I encountered last year at a "full" Marriott property. Light kept seeping through gaps in the blackout shades. The climate control system was overly loud.

The location of the hotel, in an office park off a suburban commercial strip, was meh. The drive to the Madison isthmus was not a long one, but I prefer properties where there is some place to walk around the hotel (apart from the adjacent Marriott-branded property). On the other hand, the hotel offered much better value than comparable properties on the Madison isthmus.

Other than a two-minute check-in process that went quite smoothly, we had no interaction -- and no need for interaction -- with the hotel staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Comfortable and clean room, efficient staff even when dealing with a huge influx of guests (4 nearby weddings). Appreciated being treated as an elite guest even tho my "exalted" status is lapsed. Responded to my request for a feather free room and then some. Sorta went overboard with the towels. Thanks! Well prepared breakfast. Will certainly stay here again the next time we visit our son.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family