“Bratfest Run & Festival”

Alliant Energy Center
Ranked #30 of 104 things to do in Madison
More attraction details
Owner description: Our premier downtown multi-venue complex features four unique and versatile venues: Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Exhibition Hall, the New Holland Pavilions, and Willow Island. A top choice for expositions, conventions, meetings, concerts, sporting events, ag events, and much more, the Alliant Energy Center complex is a one-stop-shop for all your events. Ample parking, mouthwatering catering, dedicated staff, and a full range of rental equipment & high speed internet make AEC an event planners delight!
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We came from out of state to meet friends and check out the annual Bratfest held at the Alliance Energy Center. The best part of the visit was the run course which went through Willow Island I believe. The festival was ok - there was ample parking and shuttles but not a lot of things to do once you had brats and beer unless you had little kids in tow.

The run organization was definitely a smaller local type event and not the big fancy organized runs you may have done.
The 10k and 5k people were intermingled and you were expected to sort yourself out in terms of pace groups.

We enjoyed ourselves but not to the point to make this a go-to repeat event.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I gave a low rating due to the parking not the horse show! We needed handicap parking since my sister has heart and lung issue and was told that it was all filled up so we had to park in the back 40. Was told there was a shuttle but not was seen the whole walk down. There was an older couple with canes in front of us struggling to get down the hill..Because of the long walk we had to rest for a long time. Didn't get to see much and feel we didn't get our moneys worth as the tickets were expensive. Then when it came time to return to our car we waited over an hour with several people at the shuttle pick up point and no shuttle showed up. Ended walking back up the hill cuz it was getting dark and was afraid we couldn't find the car since we didn't know exactly where it was. Sure hope that older couple with canes didn't have to walk back up the hill as we had to stop and rest part way up. Didn't see one shuttle the whole way up there and safety is an issue as there was not any attendants up there if anyone gets hurt or accosted! There weren't any lights also. For the price this was a total ripoff as we didn't get to enjoy everything. Hope the horsefair is somewhere else next time!

2  Thank Paula M
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We went to see Trans Siberian Orchestra and it was great. Good seats Good room temps. Only thing is we all thought we were crazy cuz we swear we kept seeing a bird flying around lol
Great time overall

2  Thank Steve L
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Appearing a little like a giant cupcake, the Alliant Energy Center is one of the cooler looking old 'coliseum' arenas in the area. It is a medium/large venue for concerts (~10000) but draws all sorts of events. I was there for two rock concerts.

Best parts: Being a medium/large venue, there isn't a bad seat in the house. And the sound was really, really spectacular. The music and singing were both very clear, at both shows. Concessions were reasonable. Parking reasonable. Easy to get to, right off major highways. Plenty of paved, lighted parking. Nice natural 'campus.' Hotels very close. Restaurants close. Plenty of other attractions close. A lot going for it.

Worst parts: It does feel just a little dated, inside and out. The grounds can house all variety of events, but the coliseum itself seems old. It has almost an Allstate Arena kind of identity crisis happening, but no major sports team directly associated with it. I'm not sure if it's that identity crisis causing the lack of bigger acts there, or vice versa, but it seems that whereas rock and roll shows used to be able to fill Camp Randall, the Kohl Center, and the Alliant Energy Center without a problem, now it's a trick to get exciting shows at the Alliant or Camp Randall. Sad. The concession lines were long (maybe not enough open), and restrooms seemed far away, but maybe that was because of all of the milling people. The seating is a little strange, can be quite steep feeling. Then again, any large venue will feel this way. And be careful what price range you buy tickets in, because my seats were only a couple rows off the other price range and negligibly different in view. Had I paid the extra $25 dollars to be in that row, I would have been irritated. Usually there is a much sharper division in price ranges/seats.

Whereas I might have said it was a good place to see a great show, because of the lack of artists going there, I have to say it was a place that I saw a couple of great shows. Not sure when I'll see another there, but I'm open to it and wish more acts would book there. I'd be inclined to give it a 4 if that happened.

1  Thank Gregory M
Reviewed 29 May 2013

There are several sections to the Center. I was there to see His Holiness the Dalai Lama, so being able to hear was critical. I splurged and bought the expensive seats and was fairly close to the stage. There really is no excuse for this major failing, and I felt bad for the Tibetan people who have so few opportunities to see their religious leader. The sponsors of the event, a local monastery, apologized (as if it were their fault) for the sound system. It was an honor to see His Holiness, I only wished I could have heard him as well.

1  Thank LeeB13