“Great Theater - Awful Service”
Review of Barrymore Theatre

Barrymore Theatre
Ranked #45 of 104 things to do in Madison
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular entertainment venue for live concerts and performances throughout the year.
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Let me start out by saying, I've attended many concerts and live comedy shows at the Barrymore and the sound, theater, and venue are of nice quality and do have a certain charm about it. I would also agree that the venue is lacking in parking. In addition, the website is pretty frustrating and confusing despite being an experienced online shopper.

But, every time I have ever had any issue with the venue (I've had repeated issues mostly in ticketing services: pick-up, purchasing, and re-entry), I have not been treated as a valued customer; rather, I was treated rudely, and demeaned to an unintelligent individual and completely blamed for any situation even when the theater did not specify their policies. I honestly think the most recent interaction was so negative and disrespectful that I will never return to this theater. I understand that employees are transient and do not always accurately reflect the overall service of the institution, but the fact that these issues have reoccurred is alarming. Great theater aesthetics, but awful service and customer care.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I went to see The Bandallamas supergroup. Sat in the back row and thought the sound was very good. Would have rated it higher if it felt cleaner and had less people handing out other event info in the theatre side of venue.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Barrymore is an old-fashioned theatre that fits in well in the neighborhood. Nothing fancy and pretty basic, the popcorn is tasty and the staff friendly. It is a treasure on Madison's east side.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

My 8-year old son and I went to the Barrymore Theater to see the Indigo Girls. Driving 7 hours with nothing but an email promising me that I had general admission tickets awaiting me at will-call made me a tad nervous, but everything went wonderfully. As we waited on line, a staff member came out to let us know there would be a standing/dancing area in front of the stage...I was amazed. At most show I am told that I need to sit down, being able to stand and dance made my night! The other intelligent decision made by the staff that night was to make the restrooms unisex...at a concert where the audience was predominently female, the line for the women's room would have been insane!
A BIG thank you to the staff of the Barrymore, and I won't hesitate to come back!

Reviewed 4 June 2011

I'm a madison resident who has been to every venue in town. The people are great and the historical theater vibes with energy.