“Expensive for what you get”

A Pig in a Fur Coat
Ranked #41 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean comfort food drawing inspiration from Spain, France and Italy, we offer shared plates in a cozy communal dining experience.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a tapas-style restaurant that seems to be very full of itself. I guess if you are a foodie and like to follow the crowd, this is the place for you. However, if you are looking to try more conventional fare and in more filling portions, pass on by. We went with a party of 5 and it ended up being several hundred dollars. We got about 6 different things and were limited to our choices unless you wanted raw meat or organs. Not impressed.

3  Thank WGIDIR

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The food was delicious!!!! I'm a picky eater, and I enjoyed every bite!!! I had the porchetta and my hubby had the wagyu beef. It is pricey, but the food is so tasty! Staff is very knowledgeable! Quaint little place, good for a relaxing evening, with good food and friends.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The food I ate was delicious but pricey for what you get. I had water to drink, and two, small, food plates came in at almost $30 w/o tip. If I had done a wine pairing, you would need to tack on another $8 to $15 for a glass. The sad thing is I left hungry and had to make my way up to the Food Co-op to satisfy my appetite to completion--and I am a small man with no cravenous cravings. I heard so many awesome things about this restaurant that after experiencing it I was unsure what all the hype was about. It's like everyone talking about an "amazing" film and after seeing it you feel let down. This was my feeling about the A Pig in a Fur Coat. (There wasn't even bread provided before the meal arrived with an artisanal butter.)

When going out I was to have a dining experience. Overall, it felt flat and unimpressive.

A few suggestions I have are:
* The wait staff need to be more polished. First impressions are lasting. Serving in shorts and Converse tennis shoes leaves a bad impression. Even McDonalds expects more from their attendants.
* The cigarettes at the front door walk need to be swept as well as the entrance. A nice pot of flowers would be a welcome touch.
* The windows need to be cleaned daily--without streaks!
* If there are single stall washrooms, I would suggest making them both family friendly versus single gender. They also need to be updated and cleaner. A dirty bathroom tells me that the kitchen is also probably dirty.
* The tables are nice in the dining room. The problem is that they are so think in diameter it makes it almost impossible to cross your legs.
* No half-dead plants with peeling pots at the windowsill please.
* The silverware needs to be more substantial. It is a few grades up from a lunch room cafeteria.
* I saw what appeared to be a large bearded man in the kitchen...maybe he was the head chef? With only 2 other couples in the restaurant, it would have been fun to have had him make rounds and welcomed us.

3  Thank savedade
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I hadn't been in Madison for 15+ years so I did a quick search for a dinner spot and chose A Pig in a Fur Coat. So glad I did. It would be easy to miss the spot driving down the street since it is understated with small signage. The seating area is casual but comfortable, the service was stellar and the food was fantastic. Wish I had been able to go with a group to try more plates. The ravioli and pappardelle dishes were wonderful. Interesting beer selection as well. Highly recommend the Pig.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I couldn't help falling for the name and read the reviews and I just knew I would like this place. Seating is a mix of two large communal tables and a few smaller tables. Service a bit erratic but ok. The menu is divided in to snacks, small and large plates. All meant to be shared. We had a mix from the Rillette, Poutine, Pasta, Pork belly, Octopus and the Porchetta. All of them done to perfection. Ended the meal with the Panna cotta and the bread pudding. Yumm! Small wine list with a focus on Italy and medium beer list with a focus on Wisconsin. Can't wait to get back to Madison and be a real pig at this place!

1  Thank Reslimpan