“A place to dine again and again”
Review of Marrakesh Restaurant - CLOSED

Marrakesh Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Moroccan
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Allen Blvd.
Transit: Bus 70, 72, 8
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We have had numerous meals at Marrakesh and have loved them all, most recently last evening, but often for lunch also. The setting is warm and comfortable, never too noisy, even when most tables are occupied. We most often order Moroccan dishes such as tagine or bastilla, but over time have sampled almost everything on the menu. My wife often orders two of the starters as her main dish. The lamb is always superb.

Last night I had the seafood bastilla and it was delicious. We have gotten each of the desserts on different visits and they are all delicious and unique. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the starters she had, Zaaluk and Mohamara, as her entree. We'll return again and again to this special restaurant.

The staff is friendly and accommodating. The owner often comes to check on customers and will vary dishes for special requests. We are never rushed through the meal and can visit with our friends over a prolonged meal when we wish.

Prices are very reasonable - formal dining quality at casual dining prices

Be sure to order the Moroccan mint tea!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I dined there last night. Entering the restaurant, we felt transported by the warm colors, the cozy seating, the tapestries on the walls. Beautiful! The food was fabulous, our server very helpful and friendly. The prices are also extremely reasonable. We will definitely be returning soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I visited the Marrakesh Restaurant in Madison, WI on Sunday evening November 18, 2013. We were greeted, seated and waited on by the owner who takes very seriously the personal touch to service and food preparation.
There were two dining rooms, one of which contained firm elevated couch-like seating with beautiful pillows for back support. Menu selection was adequate including a variety of appetizers and entrees. The entree choices included meals with chicken, beef, and vegetarian options.
The meat in the entrees we chose was tender and flavorful. The baklava was delicious, and the Moroccon mint tea was to die for. The chef was also willing to adapt a recipe for a diabetic customer seated at a table nearby. We will definitely return and bring friends/family.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I had dinner last night with several friends at Marrakesh. We shared a sampler plate of starters, and added an order of falafel and Makouda--a delightful potato appetizer. I will definitely have that dish again. I then ordered the beef tagine, a blend of savory beef with sweet prunes, and served with a side of saffron rice. We finished off the meal with traditional Moroccan mint tea, served in small glasses and served with a flourish. Our waitress was wonderful, and the food delicious. We are already making plans for our next visit.

1  Thank KathyB4334
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This is real Moroccan 'comfort food', which I will return for many times. Every dish I ordered, in my first two visits to this restaurant, was delicious and beautifully served. The balance of flavors and spices are just right. What is so impressive is the freshness. They make everything themselves, so the hummus, yogurt, etc., are fresher than you have ever had them. Vegetables still have their crunch. The Madison farmers market is used by this restaurant to get the freshest produce. The atmosphere,with Moroccan handmade rugs hanging on rust red painted walls and Moroccan music softly playing, is inviting and comfortable. The lovely covered serving dishes and the presentation of the mint tea, with silver tray carrying glass cups and a silver pot, pouring tea high above the cup, all adds to the pleasure and enjoyment of the meal. One is transported.

1  Thank Margaret I