“Overall Very Good Experience and Food!”
Review of Casa de Lara

Casa de Lara
Ranked #360 of 1,041 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stopped here on a whim because we were starving and were trying to find a place that had food that would appeal to everyone including a 2-year-old. (who won't eat a tortilla with cheese at the very minimum?) We arrived in late afternoon on a Saturday, place was almost empty, and we stood in front for a little over 5 minutes before we were noticed and at first we started to worry about our choice-and it took a few minutes for a waiter to get to us once seated, but once he waited on us for the first time, he was very attentive. (and a cute guy too which was fun for all of us were gals ages 2-46!) We also had an attentive busboy who made sure our water glasses were filled, etc...The staff was very kind to our toddler, bringing her a little portion cup with maraschino cherries when she dropped the one that was on top of a smoothie, plus just had lots of smiles and good attitude. The food was very good to excellent. Fish tacos, quesadillas, tacos-the salsa was spicy, the chips were fresh and flavorful-the guacamole seemed homemade and not from a package. We had delicious drinks-smoothies and lemonade-the decor was enjoyable and artistic. We had a great time and would go back.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

They served the smallest piece of steak for carne asada I have every seen served. Enchiladas were fine, but would never go back.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Enjoyed having dinner here, the restaurant is upstairs so ask for a window seat for some awesome people watching! Our meal was good, I enjoyed the Seafood Enchiladas despite the small size of the shrimp, and the flavor was good. My son enjoyed the Enchiladas Verdes and the salsa was delicious as well! The prices were reasonable, and yes service was a bit slow, all in all I would go again. Great location if you happen to be downtown and/or shopping on State Street.

1  Thank tatrish464
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I haven't been to many of Madison's Mexican places yet, but out of the few I've been to I like the food/drinks the best here. However, as the other reviewers have pointed out, the service and atmosphere is nothing to brag about (it was freezing in the restaurant when I last went, and service was slower than usual despite the lack of patrons). I'll go back, but solely for the food/drinks and probably only during happy hour.

1  Thank chip27915
Reviewed 19 February 2011

This was by far the worst experience I've had with food service! They messed up my order, the delivery driver was amazing and rushed back but he could not get my food for an excess of 4 hours! I've been held up all day waiting for mediocore food. It is subpar and tasteless. Oh-and here's the kicker-instead of rectifying my order they only provided one food item which was drenched in grease; ; he informed me that the box was a mess upon receiving it. Thankfully, the driver and the service he works for was able to get me a full refundI. 'm writing this review in a sheer state of shock that people even conduct their business in such an unproffessional manner. I will NEVER order from this place again

1  Thank badgerfan49