“I'm no sushi expert but it tastes really good.”
Review of Sushi Box

Sushi Box
Ranked #302 of 989 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Japanese
“I'm no sushi expert but it tastes really good.”
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

I am not a huge sushi or seafood person but I enjoy the food here. It is a good price for the product and I have not gotten sick from it.

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Hurley, Wisconsin
“Will skip next time”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

It was 2 p.m. and we hadn't eaten yet that day. Leaving UW Madison we happened upon Sushi Box.

First, Madison is not exactly a haven for drivers (more specifically, parking is a pain in the zorch). There is a bit of parking on a side street and room for about 3-4 cars in a "lot" (actually a driveway) to the back of the building. When parking in back you must go down steps and walk along a corridor adjacent to the kitchen. You may also be boxed in when you leave (yup, we were).

Positive: the price was in line with, or maybe a little lower, than sushi places we are used to. Maybe because this is a no-frills (REALLY no frills - you are expected to dispose of your trash and stack your dishes on a counter) type of place. And there is a closed-circuit TV screen, so you can see the sushi being made. My miso soup was very good.

Negatives: the sushi was not good! It was rolled way too loosely and fell apart when being picked up. My companion got a shrimp tempura roll - the shrimp was cold and it had obviously been pre-made and refrigerated (the shrimp tempura, not the entire roll). The eel roll was tasteless. They were pretty stingy with the ginger and when we asked for more we got a disapproving look from the woman proprietor. They also, in lieu of bringing water, have a serve-yourself water cooler in the corner, with plastic glasses on top. Really??

There are many other places to eat in Madison. And we will dine at one of them next time.

• Visited April 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Best sushi in Madison!”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I have eaten sushi all over the world, and the Sushi Box is in my top five of all time favorites. It is run by a Japanese couple who consistently produce simple traditional sushi and Japanese fare. If you are looking for huge rolls slathered in some kind of new wave sauce, this is not the place for you. The food is simple and straightforward, with the rolls on the petite side, which my children have always loved because they are easy to eat. The only drawback is the parking- which consists of three spots behind the restaurant. Overcome this by parking on the street, and the trip is more than worth it.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank John G
illinois
“A reasonable value”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My familty had an opportunity to visit Sushi Box in Madison while I recovered from a medical procedure at nearby University of Wisconsin-Madison, Hospital and Clinicis. With both my wife and me being sushi buffs, we're always looking for a tasty roll or flavorful bowl of soup.

I had the miso soup with tofu and found it well balanced and not too salty. Sometimes too much miso pushes this dish over the sodium precipice. My wife commented favorably about the rolls with the ingredients being fresh and crisp. A few days later I sampled their spicy tuna roll and arrived at the same conclusion. My sons ate the chicken teriyaki and cleaned their plates.

This is a small location with friendly service. My only negative would be the smell of the oil used to cook the tempura items. It has a distrinctive odor which I don't care for and tends to permeate everything. Otherwise a decent place for a sushi value.

• Visited February 2012
Washburn, Wisconsin
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Just across the street from my hotel-Best Western. Very simple,no fuss but nice food! I had a very tasty and hearty bowl of soup and avocado sushi. The service was excellent. Plastic fork, no frills. I would love to go there again and experiment with what looked like an inventive menu.

Visited January 2012

Been to Sushi Box? Share your experiences!