“A Great Experience Every Time We Go” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #646 of 975 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“A Great Experience Every Time We Go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

My and my better half were there celebrating a birthday because its the only place where they can get sushi and I can still find something to eat. I'm not a huge fan of Asian food, but I love going here. We had a hibachi table. We had to wait quite a bit (they said 5-10, more like 20-25) for a hibachi table, but between following a large party and the time, that was to be expected and I knew that wasn't the norm. Our chef was amazing, the food was excellent as always. My better half (whose birthday it was) was quite content. I had a hibachi steak and shrimp dish that was just perfection. Am definitely going back. My only word of warning:watch out for the drink prices. A captain and coke paired with my diet cock was over $9.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Some things shouldn't change...we like it just the way it is.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

We were a party of 7, celebrating a birthday. We were pleased to have our own hibatchi table.
Yes, the place is on the small side in a strip mall. And yes, the decor is dark wood and hasn't changed since the place opened. But, it still serves great food and offers a dining experience not found elsewhere. Our chef was very friendly and his "show" was just enough. We will be back.

• Visited March 2013
Racine, Wisconsin
“Average. That's about it...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Eight friends and myself visited Ginza for our first time on Friday, Jan 25th. I had made a reservation for hibachi two weeks before hand cause I knew we were going to have a big party. I made sure that when I asked for a table that we would be able to fit comfortably with our big group. Once we got seated, we fit well around the table, until they sat two more people with us that we didn't know. We then had to squeeze in tight, making it really hard for our group to talk across the table without bothering the other two strangers.

The waitress was really flighty and obviously swamped with other patrons. We ordered drinks and she brought one too many of one kind and not one of another. Also, when she brought our check, there was a charge on everyone's for around $2.00. It was for the fried rice. The menu didn't mention it, it only mentioned that there was an up-charge for steak fried rice. Yes, its only $2.00, but it should be listed.

The hibahchi was good. I had garlic shrimp, calamari and scallops and it was delicious. I split it with a friend so it was the perfect amount of food. We also ordered a tuna roll that was just so-so.

The decor is the only other thing that I really noticed. Its old and dirty and really needs to be updated. It looks like its straight out of the 70's.

Otherwise, an overall good evening. Wouldn't need to go back though, I've had better hibachi elsewhere.

• Visited January 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“decent- Great choice for first timers or those with kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

Good show of the Japanese steak house cooking.
Food has always been tasty and in a generous quantity.
However I think the prices are a bit high for the quality. ~$20/person.
For first timers or those with kids- Great Fun and something different to add to evening out. (which makes the $20 well worth it) Return trips start to feel a bit like cattle pushed into the table and always given the same show. Wish they had more options.

Visited January 2013
New Richmond, Wisconsin
“A Long Wait with Reservations and Little Reward”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

After visiting Ginza's on the east side of Madison last year, we were excited to go there again, only to discover that the lease was up and it was closed. A notice on the door gave the address of the west side (Odana Rd.) location. Figuring it was worth the drive, we made reservations and headed out with watering mouths the next evening. The first red flag should have been the sign outside which was only half lit. It made the restaurant hard to detect and made it look kind of dingy. Even though we had reservations, we waited 45 minutes for the table to be cleaned. Service was mediocre, and the food, although plentiful, was pretty tasteless. The Habachi chef had no "wow" factor at all, and seemed as bored as we were. We were embarrassed since we had invited guests to join us.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Cronicktravel

Been to Ginza of Tokyo? Share your experiences!