“No Flavor !!! Old Western vs Old Stuff !!!”

Weary Traveler Incorporated
Ranked #57 of 983 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
atlanta
“No Flavor !!! Old Western vs Old Stuff !!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is a typical "College-Town" restaurant, where students on a budget simply want food and lots of it on a budget. But the quality of the food (lack-there-of) is not up to par for a true "Weary Traveler".

Pros:

Convenient location
Prices are cheap

Cons:

1. No Parking - at the risk of having your vehicle side-swiped on one of the narrow side streets, parking non existent. At the risk of being towed, the businesses adjacent and next door do not allow parking of the "restaurant" patrons.

2. Appearance- from the outside, it is not a place i would venture into. It has the appearance of the perpetual "hole in the wall". But it came highly recommended from the college students that worked in the facility where I was assigned and the subsequent ratings they've written on this site.

3. Atmosphere -Upon entering the "hole in the wall" I typically would have turned around but my colleagues were hungry. The "unwashed" college students that work in the place did not bother greeting us. The decor is dark, dusty and the mixture of old-western and old-stuff.

4. Because of the appearance, the atmosphere and the unwashed staff, when the food came out, I couldn't help but wonder if the large serving of chilli I ordered, was recycled from previous patrons.

5. The food was flavorless and did not soothe my palate at all! So, needless to say, I took a few nibbles and prayed for the moment my colleagues would be ready to go.

• Visited July 2013

Madison
“Dark Wood, Bright Food”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Going here was a last-minute decision because we couldn't get indoor seating at a nearby spot on a steamy evening. But-- then we were glad because our food was so good and the old-fashioned dark wood interior made it feel cooler. The Bad Breath Burger (think mucho garlic and blue cheese) scored again with one friend, while another raved over the steak dinner special. My gussied-up burger was most tasty. The stuffed acorn squash sounded interesting.The waitress was amazingly accommodating and pleasant-- as she seemed to be serving the entire restaurant! Weary Traveler is operated by the owners of Barriques, popular coffee and wine venues in Madison.

Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Super Yummy Food”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

We ate the bad breath burger and a ruben sandwich. Both were amazing. Many other items looked appetizing. I will try others if I am back in the area. You must try this restaurant!

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Laid back dinner”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Had a great meal at the Weary Traveler the other week while in town. Had a very friendly waiter who took great care without being over the top. Ordered the Mediterranean plate with hummus, tabouli, greek salad. Perfect light summer dinner. I really enjoyed it. My sister had the stuffed acorn squash. I liked that aswell--but it had a little too much goat cheese in my opinion. I like goat cheese, it can just be overpowering as in this case. Would definitely return to try again!!!

Madison, WI
“Great food, ambiance, & beer selection.”
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

I've been here at least 30 times over the past decade and tried about everything on the menu. The food is always good and often great. The beer selection is excellent. Dark wood & eclectic decor round it out. A sure bet in the Willy St area.