“Busy place (which tells you a lot), but worth the wait”

Weary Traveler Incorporated
Ranked #59 of 989 Restaurants in Madison
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast
Seattle
“Busy place (which tells you a lot), but worth the wait”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We ate here on a week night, and it was still crowded .... and when we left, there was a line of waiting diners! The wait staff was brusk, efficient and a little slow - but it was worth the wait - gave us time to chat and enjoy the colorful memorabilia mounted on every wall. I also had the housemade kombucha, the flavor of the night was peach blush.

If you're looking for a bistro-like, pub-like place with an excellent menu and well crafted food, this is the place.

If you have more time, there are a number of board games shelved on the back wall.

• Visited July 2013

“Okay food, long wait, good value”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Twillis600's review was right on the money. If you want to be where the college students go to hang out this is it! Overall we were in the restaurant 3 hours. Way too long for a Wednesday night! But the place was packed. Dinghy, dark, with an eclectic mix of patrons and decor, sandwiched next to the tattoo parlor and a dirty looking liquor store. Our table area had an evil witchy voodoo doll hanging, an old phone turned into a lamp, and lots of pictures that didn't make sense or were too faded to even be able to view. Wouldn't have been my preference of choice but we were assured the food was good and the folks I was with (one girl in our party had a mohawk) wanted to go. We were finally seated after waiting 1.5 hrs in a tiny hallway next to the bathrooms with their "scriptures" of their philosophies of "life" written all over the walls, none of it worth reading or accurate to TRUTH. Our waiter was courteous, tried very hard to please and apologized for our wait which we appreciated. Food was so-so. Don't expect ice in your beverages, the glasses made me wonder how clean the beverage was to drink as they were pretty smeared up. My friends chicken was red inside but she ate it anyway as she was so hungry. I got the corn, turtle bean salad with steak, it was good but didn't have much flavor was still hungry when I left. Place was very loud and I won't go back as there are a lot of good restaurants in Madison and it wasn't my preference.

Detroit, MI
“Great vegetarian choices but so-so service”
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We came to Weary Traveler on a Saturday night because the menu featured great vegetarian choices. I had the Atlantic salmon filet, which was excellent. My wife had the vegetarian chili, which was good, but somewhat spicy. My daughters shared a grilled vegetable plate that they enjoyed very much. All in all the food was very good. However, the service was spotty at best. Our server never came back to check our orders, and we had to flag him down just to get a glass of water. I had requested some bread with my meal, and I'm still waiting for it! I would recommend this restaurant, but hope that you get a different server.

atlanta
“No Flavor !!! Old Western vs Old Stuff !!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is a typical "College-Town" restaurant, where students on a budget simply want food and lots of it on a budget. But the quality of the food (lack-there-of) is not up to par for a true "Weary Traveler".

Pros:

Convenient location
Prices are cheap

Cons:

1. No Parking - at the risk of having your vehicle side-swiped on one of the narrow side streets, parking non existent. At the risk of being towed, the businesses adjacent and next door do not allow parking of the "restaurant" patrons.

2. Appearance- from the outside, it is not a place i would venture into. It has the appearance of the perpetual "hole in the wall". But it came highly recommended from the college students that worked in the facility where I was assigned and the subsequent ratings they've written on this site.

3. Atmosphere -Upon entering the "hole in the wall" I typically would have turned around but my colleagues were hungry. The "unwashed" college students that work in the place did not bother greeting us. The decor is dark, dusty and the mixture of old-western and old-stuff.

4. Because of the appearance, the atmosphere and the unwashed staff, when the food came out, I couldn't help but wonder if the large serving of chilli I ordered, was recycled from previous patrons.

5. The food was flavorless and did not soothe my palate at all! So, needless to say, I took a few nibbles and prayed for the moment my colleagues would be ready to go.

• Visited July 2013
Madison
“Dark Wood, Bright Food”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Going here was a last-minute decision because we couldn't get indoor seating at a nearby spot on a steamy evening. But-- then we were glad because our food was so good and the old-fashioned dark wood interior made it feel cooler. The Bad Breath Burger (think mucho garlic and blue cheese) scored again with one friend, while another raved over the steak dinner special. My gussied-up burger was most tasty. The stuffed acorn squash sounded interesting.The waitress was amazingly accommodating and pleasant-- as she seemed to be serving the entire restaurant! Weary Traveler is operated by the owners of Barriques, popular coffee and wine venues in Madison.