“authentic food, great price”
Review of El Pastor

El Pastor
Ranked #569 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$2 - US$12
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Don't be scared off by the neighborhood. It's a quick 5-10 min drive from downtown Madison hotels. I had the "loco taco" and it was outstanding (I should have ordered two!). My teen kids had spicy chorizzo tacos and the steak quessadilla. Everyone agreed everything was delicious. Their complementary salsa and chips were different - made with green tomatoes, I think. We cleaned the bowl out. It was yummy and not too spicy. I won't need to try anywhere else. And the bill for three of us for lunch was under $20. We laughed at the folks going through the Taco Bell drive through situated next door to El Pastor. They have no idea what they missed.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Two of us had dinner here over the weekend. We started iwth yummy mango margaritas of very generous proportions. Next we had our favorite dish of Mexican shrimp cocktail. It is heavenly stuff and should not be missed.

The atmosphere is not great, but we've always had good service and great food. One of our favorite Mexican restaurants in town.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Went here often when my job was in the area. The food is amazing and the prices are crazy low. Highly recommend for real mexican. The location isn't idea and is not in the best part of Madison.

Reviewed 25 May 2011

Disgusting Mexican food. The steak tacos tasted like they were made with very very old and tough cow. Veggie fajitas came with maybe a tablespoon of veggies and the rest beans and sour cream. Place is a rip off.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Fantastic Mexican fare, I've never had a bad meal. As far as I can tell, they make most or all of what they sell in house. Not the absolutely most authentic native Mexican cuisine, but an excellent cross between American expectations and Mexican techniques and flavors.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook