“Nice Place to Watch the Game”
Review of Babe's Grill & Bar

Babe's Grill & Bar
Ranked #279 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My wife and I stopped in here to watch the Bears play on Sunday. As transplanted Chicagoans, we don't always get to see them play on tv based on where and when the Pack is playing but this is an excellent place to root for your favorite team without fear of being duct-taped to the bathroom toilet.

There is a large, almost-private room there where up to 30 or so people can congregate and drink beer and stuff their faces with some pretty good food. Their beer list is extensive and includes Harp beer which they use as a lure to get me in the place.

We've been her a dozen times in the past two years and have always had an enjoyable time, especially when the Bears win.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Whether you like burgers, salad, chicken, ribs or flat bread/pizza, this casual restaurant is a great place for lunch or dinner. Terrific place to catch a game on TV, as there are many...making having dinner and watching a game with 200 of your closest friends a blast! Easy to park. Big sign out front lets you know if there is seating available.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

This restaurant is the nearest full-service restaurant to our home, so we have visited it probably a dozen times over the year. The menu is just right for the middle aged and unadventurous, which describes a lot of the loyal customer base. The atmosphere is very much sports bar, but in the summers, the outside area is very enjoyable, and in fact a very kid friendly place since there is room to run around a bit.

And, on Monday's you get half-priced burgers. Our most recent trip was indeed on a Monday. I have no idea why the waitron was so surly, but it wasn't her day, evidently. She had served us before with no problem. This particular Monday we couldn't do anything right, and she let us know about it. (Maybe she just hates Mondays because the place is busier and the tips are smaller). At any rate, try the place for good food that is reasonably priced, but visit on a nice day so you can sit outside, and not a Monday; the burgers are average at best anyhow.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I need to keep up with the Blackhawks while on the road, and really hate to put $$$ into the chains such as B-Dubs. Fortunately, I have found Babe's. After my second visit, the bartender remembered me and that I like to sample the Pale Ale selections.

Foodwise, the bar appetizers are reasonable (e.g., pepperoni or sausage flatbread is $3); but it is bar food.

However, the dinner menu offers some non-traditional bar-food (e.g., Tilapia, grilled Tuna and Beef Stroganoff)

The Caesar salad is always crisp and includes freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

I highly recommend the codfish dinner - It is a generous portion of cod.

The music is played at a respectable level which allows conversation across the table without the need to shout to be heard.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

In correction to my previous review.

The ladies that serve there are a tribute to their gender. Very pleasant, competent, and easy on the eyes.

Agree with other reviewer, restaurant food at sports bar.

1  Thank gr8ful1too