“Not just a taqueria, it's resource!”

Taqueria Guadalajara
Ranked #69 of 1,037 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I first found this place in 2008 after it had recently opened. Gladly, my partner and I were the only gringos there for the first year or two. We felt privileged to get such amazing and authentically cheap taqueria grub. We lived in Madison and frequented that beautiful pink House of Flavor until early 2012, when we moved overseas. Just a week ago or so, I was privileged yet again when I was back in Madison for a day and grabbed my three pastor tacos while I could. After I was picked up from Union South in a taxi and I said, "we're making a pit stop on South Park before the airport," the taxi driver wasn't sure. When I got the tacos, all was understood among mavens of fine Mexican. Do yourself a favor and get to Taqueria Guadalajara stat, but bear in mind that there's likely no better place to watch the World Cup than the front bar area!!!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

At first glance, it looks like a "hole-in-the wall". Looks can be deceiving!! The food, the service and the atmosphere (if you like home-style) are all first rate!
Everything is home made and beautifully prepared. The mole was one of the best I've had anywhere! Do not miss out on this place if you like authentic, home style, no frills Mexican!
Prices are unbelievably low!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoy the feel of this cozy, little Mexican restaurant. You will hear a lot of Spanish spoken here and the food tastes like your Mexican Mom made it. I had the Nopales (cactus) and it was delicious. The portions are good sized - be ready to take some home. There are a few steps to get into the restaurant, so not good for accessibility.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We are here recently. Nicely decorated. Great service. Interesting menu. We had the nachos and tacos. Lots of fresh ingredients.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Finally!! I have wanted to try this place for years....but the very day I was going to meet my husband for lunch the place had burned down! NO!!! Well, they have rebuilt and they have reopened and we finally got out visit in today. First off, the parking situation stinks.....I had to circle the block several times to get a spot......but I finally found one and had about a 1 minute walk to the door, no big deal. You walk in and immediately find yourself in the kitchen of the place, COOL! The workers are rushing around and cooking up a storm, nothing hidden, I love it. There is a counter right at the door, about 8 seats or so, you can sit and watch the cooking and I noticed a TV hanging in the corner, it wasn't loud though, no worries. We walked in and were escorted to the main dining area in the place. Keep in the mind, this is a tiny place....but, when you get seated, it is very comfortable and nice, I promise. It was pretty busy, but we were seated right away and were given water, chips and 2 different types of salsa. Our waitress was kind, and prompt and our food was hot, fresh and excellent. I had one bite of my entrée and I was already to come back for another dish. I am not real sure, but I think this is pretty legit Mexican food......and if you are super sensitive to spicy food you should use caution. I love Mexican food and I am pretty use to the watered down version, the salsa had quite a kick and the dish I ordered has a good kick as well, which in normal Mexican places around Madison isn't usual, just keep that in mind. I loved my food, and just wiped my runny now and then kept on trucking......good stuff!! I love it and I will be back as soon as possible. Support local business and give it a try.....I LOVE THIS PLACE!!

1  Thank Miranda77