“Great Food; Welcoming Atmosphere”

La Taguara. Venezuelan and Latin American Cuisine
Ranked #9 of 980 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We offer traditional Venezuelan & Latin American cuisine. Visit us and delight your palate with the taste of delicious authentic Venezuelan SAZON. Enjoy our dining room or, for those on the go, call ahead and we'll have your order ready for you to pick up and carry out.
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Food; Welcoming Atmosphere”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I had never had Venezuelan food before trying La Taguara but I keep going back! The food is similar to cuban and can be made as mild or hot as you like. The stuffed arepas are worth several trips to try them all! The owner and staff are very welcoming and take whatever time you need to help you figure out what to order. You can even get tastes to help you decide. It's tasty, inexpensive food in one of the friendliest places in town.

• Visited April 2014

Madison, WI
“An exciting treasure of a place”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This smallish restaurant obviously was a fast food type place previously, but has been redecorated into a basic but pleasant dining room. You order at the counter, and soon your lunch or dinner is trotted out to you. The menu is as exciting as I've seen in a long time--almost everything on it is unfamiliar to me, and everything I tried in two trips was excellent. It appears Venezuelan cuisine is generally gentle, although one green sauce was spicy. The closest to it that I have encountered is Puerto Rican food, maybe a little like Cuban. I'm not good with names, since my Spanish is almost nonexistent, but among the things we encountered a corn rich pancake with queso and tons of flavor, bacon-like pork belly, plantains, a kind of cornbread sort of similar to the flat white cornbread we have encountered in Tennessee, a nice comforting stew, and two different fruit drinks that were totally novel and delicious. The staff were eager, and helpful. The food is not inexpensive, but well worth it.
Overall a highlight.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Madrally
Waupun, Wisconsin
“Awesome meal!”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My friend and I came upon this restaurant while out and about. We love different cuisines and fell in love with this place right away. Super-cute inside, very clean and well taken care of. The staff and owner were very helpful in helping us choose what to order and made sure we loved it all. They really do care about your experience and make you feel like you're in their home. Love!

• Visited December 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Food; Great Hospitality”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Heard good things about this new in town restaurant so stopped by with a friend. Probably one of the best lunches I've had in a long time. Since I wasn't familiar with Venezuelan cuisine the employees very enthusiastically explained the many items and made recommendations. Their choice was spot-on. Not only was the food great, the owners were very friendly, helpful, and most of all, enthusiastic and proud of their country. Wouldn't hesitate to return and try more items from the menu.

• Visited November 2013
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“A little piece of Venezuela”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I'm married to a Venezuelan, and we've done some traveling down there, so we were excited to find a place serving authentic Venezuelan food right here in Madison. We tried the appetizer plate, cachapas, arepas, and pescado frito. Everything was delicious. And I can't forget the Polar, a Venezuelan beer. The atmosphere was very clean and professionally done, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We plan to return often.

• Visited October 2013